Get a little taste of the latest Android version on your Samsung flagship. Here in this guide, we will show you how to install Android Oreo Beta 2 on Snapdragon Galaxy S8/S8 Plus.
Samsung announced the Android Oreo Beta program this month. The manufacturer has already rolled out two beta releases for the Galaxy S8 and S8+ in the pre-listed regions. These updates will be reaching out to the customers as a part of the Samsung Experience 9.0 Beta program. The majority of selected customers have already received the update. If you haven’t received it yet, then don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Here in this guide, we will show you how you can easily install Android Oreo Beta 2 on Snapdragon Galaxy S8 and S8+.
- How to Install Android Oreo Beta 2 on Galaxy S8 (G950F)
- How to Disable Bixby button on Galaxy S8, S8 Plus, and Note 8
- Download and Install Galaxy Note 8 Stock Firmware
- How to Increase Galaxy Edge Screen Size without Root
Android Oreo Beta 2 on Snapdragon Galaxy S8/S8 Plus
We have previously covered a tutorial on how to get Android Oreo Beta 2 on Galaxy S8. Today, we will be shifting our attention towards the Snapdragon variant of the Galaxy S8 and S8+ that is sold in the U.S market.
XDA senior member – norbarb has recently shared the leaked files of the Oreo Beta 2 with the community. The method of installing it is slightly different and there’s a little hiccup in the process. Since there’s no CSC available, your phone (S8/S8+) will be rebranded to the SIM carrier that’s currently inserted into the phone.
We will start by flashing the AQGL baseband package via Odin. Once that is installed, we will be sideloading the Oreo Beta 2 update package over ADB.
Now, before you get to install Android Oreo Beta 2 on Snapdragon Galaxy S8/S8+, go through the list of requirements and make sure that all of them are fulfilled.
- The method is only compatible with models G950U/U1 for the Galaxy S8 and G955U/U1 for Galaxy S8+. Do not try these files on any other model or variant of the said devices.
- The process involves wiping your phone’s data completely. So, make sure to backup your Samsung device including the internal storage. You can follow our guide on how to backup Android phones.
- Charge your S8/S8+ to a sufficient battery level to avoid any shutdowns during the update process.
- You must install ADB and Fastboot tools on your PC. You will require these to sideload the Oreo Beta 2 on Snapdragon Galaxy S8.
Galaxy S8 Plus
Steps to Install Android Oreo Beta 2 on Snapdragon Galaxy S8/S8 Plus
We have split the instructions into two steps so that you can easily understand each and every part of the process. In step 1, we will be flashing the AQGL baseband package which will convert your current setup. Next, in step 2, we will help you sideload Android Oreo Beta 2 on Snapdragon Galaxy S8/S8+ via ADB.
Step 1: Flash AQGL Baseband using Odin
- Download the AQGL baseband package for your device, from the links above.
- Extract the zip file to an easily accessible location on your PC.
- Download the latest Odin tool and extract it to your PC’s desktop.
- Once extracted, go to the folder and run the ‘Odin3.exe’.
- Now, boot your Galaxy device into Download Mode:
- Power down your S8 completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Down + Bixby + Power button simultaneously until you see the warning screen.
- Finally, press the Volume Up key to enter Download Mode.
- Once your device is in Download mode, connect it to the PC via the USB cable. The COM port for your device should light up.
- Start by clicking on ‘BL’ button and select the ‘BL_XXXXXXX.tar.md5’ file. Similarly do the same for ‘AP’, ‘CP’, and ‘CSC’ (Not Home_csc) files.
- Once everything has been selected, just hit the ‘Start’ button.
- After the flashing process is done, you shall see a ‘PASS!’ message on the Odin window.
You may disconnect the device now and move to step 2 to finally install Android Oreo Beta 2 on Snapdragon Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus.
Step 2: Sideload Android Oreo Beta 2 on Snapdragon Galaxy S8/S8 Plus
- Boot your Galaxy S8/S8+ into stock recovery mode:
- Power off the phone completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Up + Bixby + Power button altogether until you see the ‘No command’ screen.
- On that specific screen, press and hold the Power button and tap the Volume Up button once.
- After your device is in stock recovery mode, use the Volume keys to highlight ‘Apply update from ADB’ and select it using the Power button.
- Now connect your Galaxy device to the PC via the USB cable.
- Download the Beta 2 update package from the links above.
- Copy the downloaded file (e.g. G955USQU1AQGL-to-U1ZQK1.zip) to C:\adb folder where all the ADB and Fastboot files are present.
- Press and hold the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside this folder.
- Select ‘Open command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here’ from the menu.
- Enter the following command to sideload and install Android Oreo Beta 2 on Snapdragon Galaxy S8:
adb sideload G950USQU1AQGL-to-U1ZQJJ.zip
- For S8 Plus:
adb sideload G955USQU1AQGL-to-U1ZQK1.zip
The update process will finish in a few minutes. Once it is, select the ‘Reboot system now’ option in the recovery. Now, go ahead and enjoy the Android Oreo features on your device.
You have just been able to install Android Oreo Beta 2 on Snapdragon Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus. If you have any questions regarding the process, leave a comment down below.