Google has recently launched Android version – Android Oreo. We aren’t certain about getting the Oreo update to Xperia devices as it is running currently on Nougat. Still, if an update comes it will take some time for sure. Hence the solution is to install the custom ROM. So here is your guide to install AOSP based Android Oreo on Xperia SP. Follow the article to get the taste of Oreo on your own Xperia SP device.
This device released with its own interface but a lot of users always do not like this sort of highly optimized UI. This ROM seems like simple UI (like stock Android). Additionally, AOSP gives you an opportunity to Oreo experience as this ROM based on the Android 8.0 Oreo.
AOSP 8.0 is mainly centered on battery backup and security. Now stock Android is ready for daily use, quite smooth and optimized. Android 8.0 Oreo can install via Custom Recovery like TWRP, and therefore you want to install TWRP recovery on Xperia SP. If you already installed recovery then let us begin with the tutorial. Install Android Oreo on Xperia SP and revel in the experience of Oreo with better performance and features.
Table of Contents
Install AOSP Based Android Oreo On Xperia SP
The XDA thread is already blasting with users who are loving the Oreo taste on their Xperia SP. It is currently one of the highest rated ROMs available for the device, and no doubt, you will be sticking around for long.
The ROM developer – AdrianDC, also plans on bring LineageOS 15, based on Oreo to the SP. But that would take some time, and he is certainly not comfortable releasing it until each and every remaining bug is fixed and the ROM is 100% stable. It offers a pure AOSP user interface, with a few optimizations here and there, and doesn’t offer any bloatware at all.
While all major features are working without any problems, there are a few that needs to be addressed. The developer is already looking into them and you can expect them to be fixed very soon. So have a look at them and then proceed to install Android Oreo on Xperia SP.
What’s not working:
- Camcorder (Only works partially)
- Camera (Bit buggy, but the fix is WIP)
- Produce a complete backup of your device: Tutorial
- Your Xperia SP needs to have an unlocked bootloader: Tutorial
- Latest version of TWRP recovery must be installed on your device: Download Link
- Your device at least to 50-60 percent charged for flashing ROM.
Guide To Install AOSP Based Android Oreo On Xperia SP
- First of all, you will need to download “Android8.0_XperiaSP.Zip” ROM zip file and the GApps zip file.
- Then, connect your phone and copy both the files to your device’s storage.
- Switch off your phone and reboot in the TWRP recovery menu.
- In TWRP, go to “Wipe” > “Advanced Wipe”. Select the Cache, Dalvik/ART Cache, System, and Data options.
- Then swipe the button to wipe the Xperia SP.
- Go back to the TWRP main screen and select “Install”.
- And now to install Android Oreo on Xperia SP, navigate the storage and select “Android8.0_XperiaSP.zip” file, and swipe for flashing.
- Repeat the step #7 and only this time, flash the GApps package.
- Finally, tap on the “Reboot System” button and you are done!
The device will now boot into the updated Android version. You can go ahead and enjoy all major features and improvements on your Xperia device.
Check out more on Oreo:
- Android Oreo Custom ROMs List for Popular Devices – Find Yours Now!
- How to Hide Persistent Notifications on Android Oreo
- Android Oreo Substratum Themes Support List
- How to Customize Android Oreo NavBar without Root
So, this was the guide to flash AOSP Based Android Oreo on Xperia SP. Hope this guide will help you. In case if you have any doubt, query or question regarding the post then you can write in the comments section.