Use the latest feature in the world’s most popular instant messaging app. Follow this tutorial on how you can easily delete WhatsApp sent messages that you have mistakenly sent out.
If you’ve got a fast hand on your phone’s keyboard, you might have already realized that once you have written and sent a text, there’s no coming back from it. Even if it was a mistake, an autocorrect error or you deliberately sent it, it could be hazardous for your relationship with the person on the other end. We have all done it some time while being drunk or in anger. While you can’t take back the SMS you have sent, but the most common messaging alternative – WhatsApp, now lets you retract your send messages. Follow this guide, and you will be able to delete WhatsApp sent messages easily. But there’s a limitation, which you will know about later in this article.
- How to Auto-reply Messages in WhatsApp, and Other Apps
- How to Install Blob Emojis in WhatsApp and Telegram
- 5 Best Secure Messaging Apps for Android [September]
- How to Install BlackBerry Priv Apps on Any Android
Delete WhatsApp Sent Messages – New Feature
Acknowledging the troubles we go through while chatting with our friends, colleagues, or family, WhatsApp has finally decided to add a new feature to the app. This feature allows you to unsend WhatsApp sent messages, so that you don’t have to be embarrassed about it. This means even better control over the app and messages.
The feature has been in testing for quite some time now. But is finally being pushed out to everyone, only recently. For this feature to work, you must first have the latest version of WhatsApp installed on your Android device. We can only confirm this to be working on WhatsApp 2.17.401 Beta. While using the previous Beta 2.17.400, I could not use it.
Download WhatsApp 2.17.410 Beta or Above
To get this feature on your device right now and have the ability to delete WhatsApp sent messages, you must first install the latest Beta version of the app.
If you still haven’t opted for the WhatsApp Beta Google Play program, then visit the page and click on the ‘BECOME A TESTER’ button. Then download the latest Beta version directly from the Play Store. However, in case if you still can’t update using this method, you can alternatively choose to install the WhatsApp 2.17.401 Beta APK manually.
The feature requires users on both the ends to have the latest version of WhatsApp installed on their devices. If the receiver does not have it, this feature will not work for the messages that you send to the specific person.
Steps to Delete WhatsApp Sent Messages
Wait! There’s more. The window is limited to recall a sent message. You can only recall messages within a 7-minute timeframe after a message is sent. That’s a small window but is indeed long enough to realize the mistake and hopefully, the recipient would not have seen it already. Now, let’s see the feature in action and how you can delete WhatsApp sent messages.
- Go to the app drawer and open ‘WhatsApp’.
- Open the chat for the message that you want to delete.
- Scroll through the chat and long-press on the chat message.
- Again, keep in mind that you can only delete messages that have been sent in the last 7-minutes.
- Tap on the bin (Delete) icon present on the menu on top.
- You shall then see a popup message with three options:
- DELETE FOR ME: Delete the message only for yourself. The message will be visible to the receiver.
- CANCEL: Self-understandable.
- DELETE FOR EVERYONE: Delete the message for both the ends.
- In case there are only two options visible – ‘DELETE FOR ME’ and ‘CANCEL’, it means that the 7-minute window has been passed and you can no longer recall the sent message.
- Now, you have to select ‘DELETE FOR EVERYONE’ because that’s what we are here for. The message will be deleted instantly.
Each subsequent message that you delete will be replaced by the “This message was deleted” message. That’s it! You have just been able to delete WhatsApp sent messages.
If you have any questions regarding this new feature, just comment below and ask us.