Today, OnePlus has started rolling out another stable version of OxygenOS for the OnePlus 5/5T. Users can follow this guide to manually install OxygenOS 5.1.1 on OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T right now. The latest update is based on Android 8.1 Oreo.
OnePlus is undoubtedly one of the top Android manufacturers that focuses highly on latest and timely updates for all its supported devices. While several other OEMs are gearing up for Android 8.0 Oreo, OnePlus is staying a step ahead and has already announced Android 8.1 Oreo for its flagship devices. More than a week ago, we say OOS 5.1.0 for the said devices. As it seems, the software still present a few issues, preventing daily users from operating their devices properly. If you still haven’t received the OTA, then follow this guide on how to install OxygenOS 5.1.1 on OnePlus 5/5T.
Table of Contents
Download and Install OxygenOS 5.1.1 on OnePlus 5/5T (Android 8.1 Oreo)
Right after when users started receiving OxygenOS 5.1.0 update, they reported an unusual bug. According to the reports submitted in the feedback section, there were instances where the phone and/or notification ringtone wouldn’t play. Since the problem was widely affecting and would cause hindrance to the normal functioning, OnePlus worked it out on priority and recently announced OnePlus 5/5T OxygenOS 5.1.1 update.
Before you get to the instructions and install OxygenOS 5.1.1 on OnePlus 5/5T, take a look at more information about this update. Again, the latest update is based on Android 8.1 Oreo. Which means that you get to enjoy all the latest features on your OnePlus device. The new update also carries over all the changes from the previous release and the complete changelog is below.
- Based on Android 8.1 Oreo
- Latest April 2018 security patch
- Full-screen gesture support for OnePlus 5T
- Power saving mode and adaptive brightness pause features in Gaming Mode
- New category tags in app drawer’s search section
- Auto name folders based on category
- Fixed ringtone issue for phone and notifications (New)
The new OxygenOS version has started rolling out to the users in stages. Which means, it could take some time to reach each and every device. In such a case, you can easily opt for this guide and install OxygenOS 5.1.1 on OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T manually. Make sure to go to ‘Settings’ > ‘System updates’ and check for the OTA notification before following this method.
- Perform a full backup of the device and internal storage too. We suggest that you follow our extensive guide on how to backup Android devices.
- Charge the phone to at least 60% battery level to avoid any hiccups during the update process.
- Install OnePlus drivers on the PC. Users who will download the ROM ZIP directly to the device can skip this step.
Please make sure to fulfill the stated requirements before you install OxygenOS 5.1.1 on OnePlus 5/5T.
Download OnePlus 5/OnePlus 5T OxygenOS 5.1.1 Update
How to Install OxygenOS 5.1.1 on OnePlus 5/5T?
Now, there are two ways through which you can manually update the device. If your OnePlus 5/5T is running on stock OxygenOS (Stable/Open Beta) with stock recovery, you can choose method 1. Users with a rooted device and TWRP recovery can opt for method 2.
Method 1: Using Local Upgrade
- Download OxygenOS 5.1.1 full ROM ZIP for the device.
- Connect the device to the PC.
- Transfer the downloaded file to the root of the internal storage. By ‘Root’ we mean outside all the folders.
- Disconnect the device.
- Open ‘Settings’.
- Go to ‘System updates’ and tap on the gear icon on the top-right.
- Select the ‘Local upgrade’ option.
- Tap on the full ROM ZIP file.
- Finally, select ‘Upgrade now’ to install OxygenOS 5.1.1 on OnePlus 5/5T.
The device will automatically reboot and perform the update procedure. Once finished, the OnePlus device will boot back into the upgraded OS. You can also follow our guide on how to install OxygenOS using Local Upgrade for detailed instructions.
Note that you might need to boot into stock recovery and perform a cache wipe to fix any common software issues after the update.
Method 2: Using TWRP Recovery
- Download OxygenOS 5.1.1 full ROM ZIP.
- Connect the OnePlus 5/5T to the PC.
- Transfer the downloaded ZIP to the internal storage.
- Disconnect the phone and power it off.
- Boot into TWRP recovery.
- [Optional when coming from a custom ROM] Go to ‘Wipe’ > ‘Advanced Wipe’ and wipe the following partitions.
- Go back to the main TWRP screen.
- Tap on ‘Install’.
- Navigate to the internal storage and select the full ROM ZIP.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to install OxygenOS 5.1.1 on OnePlus 5/5T.
Once the process is finished, tap on the ‘Reboot System’ button. Note that if you wish to maintain root after updating, make sure to flash the latest Magisk ZIP before booting. When the phone boots into the OS, set it up and enjoy a stable software experience.
That was easy, right? The launch of the upcoming OnePlus flagship has already got us excited. Indeed the company is distributing equal attention towards its previously released phones. So, this was our guide on how to install OxygenOS 5.1.1 on OnePlus 5/5T. If you have any questions regarding the procedure, then leave a comment.