OnePlus has released another set of OxygenOS Open Beta builds for the OnePlus 5/5T. You can now download and install OxygenOS Open Beta 11/9 on OnePlus 5/5T right now.
Right ahead of a stable OxygenOS 5.1.2 update, the manufacturer is now hitting the said devices with another wave of Open Beta builds. Like always, the new update is meant to bring in-development changes, new features, and bug fixes to the phones. Depicting from the official announcement, there is a series of improvements in various sectors of the operating system. OxygenOS Open Beta 11/9 for OnePlus 5/5T is already rolling out to the users as an OTA update. Only devices with the previous OB Beta builds installed are eligible for taking the over-the-air upgrade. If you’re using the stable version or want to force-upgrade your phone right now, then follow the steps below to install OxygenOS Open Beta 11/9 update on OnePlus 5/5T.
Table of Contents
OxygenOS Open Beta 11/9 Update – Changes and New Features
The announcement was made yesterday at the OnePlus community by Beta Program and Dev Relations member Manu J. Again, the Open Beta build is based on Android 8.1 Oreo and also incorporates the May 2018 security patches. Besides all that standard stuff, the new firmware brings a couple of new additions, as well as some improvements over the previous build.
Before you follow the instructions and install OxygenOS Open Beta 11/9 on OnePlus 5/5T, let us quickly go through the changelog. Below is the full changelog as mentioned over at the release thread:
- Added disable peek notifications option for Do Not Disturb (DND) preferences (Settings – Alert slider – Do not disturb)
- Added disable peek notifications option in reading mode (Settings – Display – Reading mode)
- Optimized PIN code confirmation process (Settings – Security & lock screen – Screen lock – PIN)
- Optimized sleep standby power consumption (Settings – Battery – Battery optimization – Advanced optimization)
- UI improvements for the OnePlus Switch app
- Improved support for application data migration in OnePlus Switch
- General bug fixes and stability improvements
- Added ability to manage Parallel Apps files in the File Manager
Apart from the ones mentioned above, there doesn’t seem to be any extra unknown changes that we have found yet. Open Beta software is normally, not quite as stable as the regular OxygenOS version. It may contain bugs and may not be suitable for daily usage. But if you’re keen on experience the said changes, then follow the steps below to install OnePlus 5/5T OxygenOS Open beta 11/9 update.
Before proceeding, make sure to check for the OTA notification if your device is running the previous Open Beta build. You can do so by going to the Settings > System updates menu.
- Take a complete backup of all your personal data on the phone, including the internal storage. We suggest that you follow our Android backup guide for this purpose.
- Charge the OnePlus 5/5T to a sufficient battery level to avoid any shutdowns during the upgrade process.
- Download and Install OnePlus USB drivers on the PC to ensure a successful connection for transferring the ROM ZIP file.
Download OxygenOS Open Beta 11/9 for OnePlus 5/5T
How to Install OxygenOS Open Beta 11/9 on OnePlus 5/5T?
Installing the latest Open beta software on your phone is pretty easy. If your phone has stock/unrooted OxygenOS firmware, then you can choose Method 1. Users with root/TWRP can choose Method 2 to install OxygenOS Open Beta 11/9 on OnePlus 5/5T.
Method 1: Using Local Upgrade
- Download OxygenOS Open Beta 11/9 full ROM ZIP.
- Connect the OnePlus 5/5T to the PC using the USB cable.
- Enable ‘Transfer files’ mode on the phone.
- Copy the downloaded ROM ZIP file to the root (storage root = outside all the folders) of the phone’s internal storage.
- Disconnect the device from the PC.
- Go to ‘Settings’ > ‘System updates’ on the OnePlus device.
- Tap on the gear icon on the top-right of the screen and select ‘Local Upgrade’.
- The phone will automatically detect the update package.
- Tap on the full ROM ZIP.
- Finally, tap on ‘Upgrade Now’ to install OxygenOS Open Beta 11/9 update on OnePlus 5/5T.
Wait for the device to reboot and flash the update. Once done, the phone will boot into the updated software. After the process is complete, make sure to perform a cache wipe via stock recovery. This will prevent any reoccurrence of potential bugs. To do so, boot into stock recovery and go to ‘Wipe data and cache’ > ‘Wipe cache’ and press ‘OK’ to clear the cache.
Method 2: Using TWRP Recovery
- Download the full ROM ZIP for the device.
- Connect the OnePlus 5/5T to the PC using the USB cable.
- Transfer the downloaded full ROM ZIP to the phone’s storage.
- Disconnect the device and power it off.
- Hold the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously to boot into the TWRP recovery.
- [Optional] If your phone has a custom ROM installed, you will need to wipe the OS. To do so:
- Go back to the main TWRP screen and tap on the ‘Install’ button.
- Navigate to the storage and select the full ROM ZIP file.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to install OxygenOS Open Beta 11/9 on OnePlus 5/5T.
The flashing process could a few minutes.
Note that the second method will unroot the phone and will also remove the TWRP recovery. If you wish to maintain root and avoid TWRP from being replaced by stock recovery, then follow the device-specific tutorials linked below. Make sure to perform the procedure before booting the device.
- How to Install TWRP and Root OnePlus 5T on Android Oreo
- Install TWRP and Root OnePlus 5 on Android Oreo (OxygenOS)
Once complete, press the ‘Reboot System’ button and the phone will automatically reboot into the latest OxygenOS Open Beta software.
The sole purpose behind the beta builds is to gather and fix existing bugs before the stable release is announced for the general public. You can contribute to the development process by providing your feedback and submitting bug reports here.
So this was our guide on how to install OxygenOS Open Beta 11/9 on OnePlus 5/5T. Should you have any questions regarding the procedure, please ask us by leaving a comment below.