Here’s how you can easily enable 4K UHD video recording on Redmi Note 5 Pro. This could be easily done manually using a root file manager or by installing a Magisk module.
Xiaomi carried on its legacy of powerful yet affordable phones, especially in a country like India. The manufacturer set a record last year when it sold out 20 million units of the legendary Redmi Note 4 alone. It didn’t take much time for the consumers to realize that the Xiaomi Redmi Note series is probably the best budget Android phones in the market. This year, Xiaomi Inc announced the successor to the said device as the Redmi Note 5 and Redmi Note 5 Pro. The new Note series has accompanied the current smartphone standard of longer (fullscreen) displays. Apart from the display, there’s another area where the OEM claims to have overthrown the competition. And that is the camera. However, there are a few limitations to that as well. The phone lacks a few features in the camera that would really make a difference. Today, we will show you how you can enable 4K UHD video recording on Redmi Note 5 Pro and improve its camera experience.
Table of Contents
Guide to Enable 4K UHD Video Recording on Redmi Note 5 Pro
To recap, the latest Redmi Note devices offers significant improvements over the predecessor. This includes the Qualcomm Snapdragon 636, which is a mid-tier octa-core chipset and the Note 5 Pro is the first device to debut it. To add, it also sports a 5.99-inches full-view display, primary 12MP+5MP dual camera, a powerful 20MP front selfie camera, 4000 mAh battery backup and more. On the software end, the phone comes with MIUI 9 based on Android 7.1.2 Nougat. Android Oreo-based MIUI 9 Beta is already being tested for the phone.
While the phone may support a tremendous lens setup, the default MIUI Camera app still lacks a few features such as 4K video recording mode, that Xiaomi could have added to further improve the camera experience. Anyhow, the work is now being unofficially handled by Android enthusiasts over at the XDA community.
XDA Recognized Contributor Vidhanth who also owns the device has found a neat solution to help users enable 4K UHD video recording on Redmi Note 5 Pro. His solution requires you to make some very simple edits to the system property files and change the specified boolean (support_camera_4k_quality) value. On the other hand, another member of the community – j1505243, has made Magisk Module that shall do the same job without any of the hassles. Also note that in addition to the 4K video support, the Magisk module also enables manual shooting mode.
- Your Redmi Note 5 Pro should be rooted. You can begin by installing TWRP recovery and then root it using Magisk.
- Magisk is mandatory if you plan to use Method 2.
- For method 1, you must first download and install a root-enabled file manager on your Redmi Note 5 Pro. We recommend Solid File Explorer.
- Take a Nandroid backup of your current ROM/firmware, so that you can restore back if anything goes wrong. You can follow our guide on how to backup Android.
How to Enable 4K UHD Video Recording on Redmi Note 5 Pro?
We have covered two methods that will yield the same results. You may choose the one that suits your usage.
Method 1: Manually using Root File Manager
- Run the root file manager app on your Redmi Note 5 Pro.
- Grant root permissions when prompted.
- Go to /system/etc/device_features/ on your phone.
- Find the ‘whyred.xml’ file and open it using the editor.
- Search the file for the following boolean:
- Now, to enable 4K UHD video recording on Redmi Note 5 Pro, change its value from ‘false’ to ‘true’.
- Save the file and exit the file manager.
- Finally, reboot the phone for the changes to take effect.
If you want to skip all the manual tinkering, there’s another way too. You can simply install the Magisk Module provided by XDA senior member j1505243 and enable it.
Method 2: Using Magisk Module
- Download the required module: whyredfeatures_module_1_0.zip
- Copy the module to the phone’s storage.
- Go to the app drawer and open ‘Magisk Manager’.
- Tap on the menu icon and select ‘Modules’.
- Press the yellow colored plus ‘+’ icon.
- Finally, to enable 4K UHD video recording on Redmi Note 5 Pro, select the module ZIP file.
- The installation process will finish in a few seconds.
- Tap on the ‘Reboot’ button.
When the booting process is complete, open the stock MIUI camera application, go to settings and change the video quality to ‘UHD 4K’. That was easy, right? We appreciate the community members for bringing us the solution.
It has only been a short period since the device was first released, but the development scene didn’t take long to kick in. Don’t forget to check out other resources:
- How to Boot Redmi Note 5 Pro Recovery Mode (2 Methods)
- Guide to Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi Note 5 Pro [Whyred]
- Restore Redmi Note 5 Pro Stock Firmware [Unbrick Guide]
So, this was how you can easily enable 4K UHD video recording on Redmi Note 5 Pro. If you have any questions regarding the process, let us know freely.