Want to make your fingerprint sensor more usable on your Redmi device? Just follow this guide to enable Fingerprint Selfie on Redmi 3S Prime.
Have you noticed that when you move your finger on the fingerprint sensor of your Redmi 3S, it starts to perform a rather unusual action? To be precise, it just starts selecting random text on the device screen. Well, that’s not very functional and doesn’t provide much usefulness, right? But wait, we have got you covered. You can now repurpose the fingerprint sensor and make it more efficient. Following this guide, you will be able to enable Fingerprint Selfie on Redmi 3S Prime and make it more usable.
- Download OnePlus 5 JCC Limited Edition Wallpapers
- Download MIUI 9 Beta ROM for Xiaomi Devices
- Firmware Mobi by Chainfire – Download Stock Boot, Recovery & Root Images
- Paranoid Android Review – History, Features, & Downloads
- Get iPhone-like Swipe to Go Gesture on Android
- Guide to Install AOSP Based Android Oreo on Redmi 2
Enable Fingerprint Selfie on Redmi 3S Prime
So, before we begin there’s a bit of detail that you should learn about, first. Xiaomi has implemented the “DPAD_CENTER KeyEvent” key function, whenever the fingerprint sensor is pressed. We’re still not sure why the OEM decided to this when they could have made it better by using other key functions like launching the camera etc.
Thanks to XDA senior member – dineshthangavel47 for bring this to notice.
We are going to use a simple method to change this key event and replace it with that of the Camera. So after performing the steps below, when you press on the fingerprint sensor, the device will directly enable Fingerprint Selfie camera and allow you to take photos.
- Your device must have an unlocked bootloader: Tutorial
- The Redmi 3S Prime must be rooted with SuperSU or Magisk.
Steps to Enable Fingerprint Selfie on Redmi 3S Prime
Once you have accomplished the above requirements, you are good to go.
- Download a root file explorer of your choice. We prefer Solid Explorer since it is very efficient and offers root browsing to do this job well.
- Next, download “QuickEdit Text Editor” from the Play Store and install it on your device. We will be needing this to edit the key file
- Once you have downloaded the app. Go to the app drawer and launch Solid Explorer.
- You will need to grant it permissions to access storage, so follow the on-screen instructions.
- Now, swipe out from the left edge of the app screen to bring up the menu.
- Tap on “Root”. As soon as you do it, you will be prompted to grant root permissions to the Solid Explorer app.
- This will open the root partition of your device.
- Now, navigate to the “/system/usr/keylayout” directory.
- Scroll down and open “Generic.kl” using the QuickEdit app.
- The file shall now open in the editor. Scroll down until you find the “key 353” entry.
- You shall see that the current value for this key is “DPAD_CENTER”. Now all you need to do is edit this value and replace it with “CAMERA”.
- When done, tap on the folder icon on the top and select “Save”.
Now, just reboot your device for the change to take effect.
Now that you have succeeded to enable Fingerprint Selfie on Redmi 3S Prime, go on and use it to take photos. Wasn’t that easy? We hope so. If you have any problems while performing the steps mentioned in this tutorial, leave a comment in the comments section below.