Got Android Oreo on your phone already? Then you must try out one of the most anticipated features that it offers. In this post, we will guide you on how to enable YouTube PIP Mode without YouTube Red subscription.
PIP mode, known as Picture-in-Picture mode, is one of the most popular features which Android Oreo 8.0/8.1 packs. It is a very useful feature that allows the user to multi-task. In simpler words, the feature allows you to play a video while using other functions/apps on your phone. The video is shrunk down to a smaller overlay window, that you can move around the screen. When it comes to your favorite video streaming service – YouTube, Picture-in-Picture mode is exclusive to YouTube Red subscription.
Although, you can easily enable YouTube PIP mode without YouTube Red subscription on Android phones and tablets. If you think we will mention any kind of exploit, hack or similar rocket science, then you are wrong. To enjoy the picture-in-picture mode, all you need to do is run YouTube on a web browser app that supports Picture-in-Picture mode. In this case, we will use Google Chrome. Also, make sure that your device is running the latest Android Oreo 8.0/8.1.
We will also like to add that, PIP mode is not only limited to YouTube but it also can be used with other apps such as Google Maps, Duo, WhatsApp, etc. Before we head on to the instructions on how to enable YouTube PIP mode without YouTube Red, let us take a quick look at what the feature is and how it works.
Table of Contents
What is Picture-In-Picture/PIP Mode?
PIP or Picture-In-Picture is a special type of multi-window mode mostly used for video playback. It was introduced last year with Android Oreo. It lets the user watch a video in a small window pinned to a corner of the screen. At the same time, the user can navigate between apps or browse any content on the main screen.
An app with the required permissions can enter the PiP mode when the user taps the home or recents button to choose another app. The PIP window appears in the top-most layer of the screen. It can be present in any corner of the screen. You can drag the PIP window to any location or corner on the screen as per your choice. When you tap on the window two special controls appear a full-screen toggle which you can see in the center of the window and a close button.
Below we have put up the entire illustrated steps that will help you enable YouTube PIP mode without YouTube Red on Android devices. The steps are pretty simple and work 100% fine on any smartphone you may use.
Enable YouTube PIP Mode without YouTube Red Subscription
Since YouTube Red is only available for selected countries, this simple trick will allow the rest of the users to enable YouTube Picture-In-Picture mode and use it. Before going into the steps, take a note of a few things first.
- Your Android device must be running on Android Oreo 8.0/8.1 or above.
- You must install Google Chrome browser on your device. You may also use the Google Chrome Beta App.
- Permission for PIP mode must be enabled for Google Chrome. The steps have been discussed below.
How to Enable YouTube PIP Mode without YouTube Red?
- Go to Settings -> Apps & Notifications on your Android device.
- Scroll down to the very bottom and tap on Special App Access.
- Select Picture-in-picture.
- Tap on ‘Chrome’ and turn on the ‘Allow picture-in-picture’ toggle.
- Assuming that you’ve enabled the permission, go to the app drawer and launch Chrome.
- Open the YouTube website.
- Search for the video that you’d want to play in picture-in-picture mode and play it.
- Now, tap on the menu icon (3-dots) on the top-right corner of the Chrome app window.
- Turn on the ‘Desktop site’ checkbox.
- Now the mobile site will transform into the desktop site, similar to that on the PC.
- Once the desktop version is visible, press the full-screen icon on the video playback window.
- To finally enable YouTube PIP mode, press the Home button while the video is playing.
The video playback window will shrink to either side. You can also drag it across the screen for your convenience. Note that sometimes PIP mode may not work on certain videos. You can try the steps again in such cases.
So, that’s all you have to do. You have been successful to enable YouTube PIP mode without YouTube Red subscription on Android. If you have any queries do let us know in the comment section.