Want to root your newly bought HTC flagship? In this tutorial, we will show you how to root HTC U12+ without TWRP recovery. This will be done using Magisk by XDA Developer topjohnwu.
HTC revealed its flagship for the year 2018 recently, in hopes to stand out among the tough competition. The phone offers a unique design with a translucent back that lets you see some of the phone’s internals. When it comes to the chipset, the HTC U12+ sports the Snapdragon 845, again, seen on other OEM flagships such as the Samsung Galaxy S9+. With the new phone, HTC has stepped up their game with the Edge Sense technology, that was first seen on the U11. Unlike the predecessor, the U12+ offers several new gestures to initiate certain actions on the device.
Overall, the phone has managed to offer some exciting new features including the dual-camera setup on the front and rear. Although the phone comes with Android Oreo out of the box, it is planned to be upgraded to Android 9.0 P. Despite all the goodies, users might often like to explore beyond the software provided by the OEM. In such a case, one would like to root HTC U12+. Rooting will give the user the ability to modify the software according to his/her needs. These include, but are not limited to kernel optimizations, mods such as Xposed Framework or ViPER4Android, and more.
Table of Contents
Guide to Root HTC U12+ without TWRP Recovery
Now, when we talk about rooting an Android device, the first thing that comes to our mind is ‘TWRP recovery’. It’s a custom recovery that would allow a user to flash a root package, such as SuperSU or Magisk to root a phone. But, that’s not the case with the HTC U12+ right now. The phone was released pretty recently and has still not gained support for TWRP recovery, officially or unofficially.
But thanks to some XDA enthusiasts, we now know how to root HTC U12+ without TWRP recovery. The method was first brought up by XDA senior member Freak07. According to which, we can use Magisk Manager to patch the stock boot.img (kernel) for root. In this case, the help was provided by another XDA senior member 5m4r7ph0n36uru. The said member has provided stock firmware ZIP for the HTC U12+. Users can download the firmware file and extract the ‘boot_signed.img’ file (Typically known as boot.img). Once extracted, one can easily patch it to root HTC U12 Plus.
If the process seems tricky at first, then don’t worry, we have got you covered. We have detailed the procedure below, which will help you easily root HTC U12+ using Magisk, without having to install TWRP recovery first.
- Like always, we would strongly recommend you take a full backup of all your data on the phone. You can also go through our Android backup guide for this purpose.
- Rooting the phone requires an unlocked bootloader. So, enable OEM unlocking in settings and unlock the phone’s bootloader.
- Install ADB and Fastboot tools on the PC. Optionally, you can further add Android SDK tools to PATH variables.
- Download stock HTC U12+ firmware corresponding to the current firmware installed on the device: Link
- Enable USB debugging on the phone.
How to Root HTC U12+ using Magisk?
- First, extract the stock boot image (boot_signed.img) for the current firmware installed on your device.
- Connect the HTC U12+ to the PC and transfer the ‘boot_signed.img’ to the internal storage/SD card.
- Download the latest Magisk Manager APK and install it on the phone.
- Next, go to the app drawer and open “Magisk Manager”.
- Tap on the “Install” button and choose “Install” again.
- Select the “Patch Boot Image File” option.
- Navigate to the storage and select the file transferred earlier.
- Magisk will automatically start patching the boot image.
- Once patched, connect the phone to the PC again.
- Copy the “patched_boot.img” file from /sdcard/MagiskManager/ to C:\adb on the PC.
- Hold the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the same folder.
- Select “Open PowerShell window here”.
- Boot your Android device into Download Mode using:
adb reboot download
- Next, check the currently active slot:
fastboot getvar current-slot
- Finally, flash the “patched_boot.img” to the active slot to root HTC U12+ without TWRP recovery.
fastboot flash boot_a patched_boot.img
fastboot flash boot_b patched_boot.img
- Once done, reboot your phone using:
As soon as you enter the reboot command, the HTC U12+ will boot into the rooted OS. You should now be able to use root-enabled applications or install Magisk modules to further customize your phone. You can also leverage Magisk Hide option in the app to hide root from certain applications.
- Not able to flash patched boot image? – You can only flash boot image while the HTC U12+ is in Download Mode. You will only get errors if you try to flash the boot image in Bootloader Mode.
- Face Unlock option is greyed out in settings after rooting – This is a known issue. HTC has designed the feature such as if it detects root, it will be disabled. To bypass it and re-enable Face Unlock, simply use Magisk hide and hide root from the Face Unlock system app (com.htc.faceunlock).
So there you go! You have just been able to root HTC U12+ without TWRP recovery. If you have any questions, please leave them down in the comments.