Huawei is rolling out Android Oreo beta testing builds to the P8 Lite and Honor 8 Lite. Follow this guide to download and install Android 8.0 Oreo Beta on Huawei P8 Lite and Honor 8 Lite. The EMUI 8.0 build also brings Project Treble support to the phone.
Of all the OEMs that are focusing on Android Oreo, Huawei is leading the way. The manufacturer has already rolled out Oreo to a series of its Huawei and Honor devices. Moreover, it has even started releasing devices such as the Honor 9 Lite, that come with Android 8.0 Oreo out-of-the-box.
With that told, the company has finally announced Oreo beta based on EMUI 8.0 for the 2017 Huawei P8 Lite, which is also known as the Honor 8 Lite in China. Users with the said devices are very excited to see that Huawei is promisingly pushing the latest updates for them. For those of you who are keen on testing the new firmware can follow the steps below to manually install Android 8.0 Oreo Beta on Huawei P8 Lite and Honor 8 Lite.
Table of Contents
EMUI 8.0-based Android 8.0 Oreo Beta for Huawei P8 Lite/Honor 8 Lite
The new EMUI 8.0-based firmware offers all the standard Oreo features like Picture-in-Picture mode, Notification Channels, Adaptive Icons, and more. Honor 8 Lite/Huawei P8 Lite 8.0 Oreo beta also brings Project Treble support to the device. Which means you can easily flash GSI of popular AOSP custom ROMS
The new beta testing firmware will allow users to actively participate in the development process and provide their valuable feedback. Honor 8 Lite Android 8.0 Oreo beta is now rolling out to the users in China. This means the European users with the Huawei P8 Lite will need to rebrand their device to Honor 8 Lite AL00C/AL00X/TL10C B220 version. XDA senior member Niko99ITA has provided a brief guide on how to rebrand the phone to the required Chinese version.
Once rebranded, users can easily install Android 8.0 Oreo Beta on Huawei P8 Lite/Honor 8 Lite using the steps below.
- Take a complete backup of your data, including the internal storage. We suggest that you follow our extensive guide on how to backup Android.
- You will first need to unlock bootloader on Huawei P8 Lite/Honor 8 Lite if not done already.
- Install ADB/Fastboot tools on your PC. Additionally, you can also add Android SDK tools to PATH.
- Transfer the update.zip and nocheck recovery image to the root of the SD card (Outside all folders).
Make sure to fulfill all the stated requirements before you follow the instructions and install Android 8.0 Oreo Beta on Huawei P8 Lite and Honor 8 Lite.
- Elite TWRP Recovery (Thanks to Hassan Mirza): EliteTWRP-3.2.1-0_2018-01-19.img
- Latest PRA-AL00C/ALOOX/TL10C Oreo update.zip: Link
- NoCheck Recovery: Link
Steps to Install Android 8.0 Oreo Beta on Huawei P8 Lite and Honor 8 Lite
The instructions below have been split into two major steps – (1) Install Elite TWRP Recovery and (2) Install Honor 8 Lite/Huawei P8 Lite Android 8.0 Oreo Beta firmware using TWRP.
Step 1: Install Elite TWRP Recovery
- Copy the downloaded TWRP recovery image to C:\adb. This is the folder where the ADB and Fastboot binaries are present.
- Inside the same folder, hold the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space.
- Select ‘Open PowerShell window here‘.
- Next, power off your device completely.
- Hold the Volume Down and Power button to enter Fastboot mode.
- Connect your Huawei/Honor device to the PC using the USB cable.
- Confirm that your device is detected using:
- The command shall return a device ID with ‘fastboot’ message.
- Finally, install Elite TWRP recovery on Huawei P8 Lite/Honor 8 Lite using:
fastboot flash recovery EliteTWRP-3.2.1-0-2018-01-19.img
- Reboot your device:
Now that you have installed Elite TWRP, head over to step 2 to install Android 8.0 Oreo Beta on Huawei P8 Lite and Honor 8 Lite.
Step 2: Flash Android 8.0 Oreo Beta on Huawei P8 Lite/Honor 8 Lite
- Power off the phone completely.
- Hold the Volume Up and Power button simultaneously to enter TWRP recovery mode.
- In TWRP, go to ‘Install‘ and tap on ‘Install Image‘ button at the bottom.
- Select ‘nocheck.img‘ file and flash it to the recovery partition.
- Go back to the main menu.
- Tap on ‘Advanced‘ and select ‘Terminal‘.
- Execute the following command:
echo --update_package=/sdcard/update.zip > /cache/recovery/command
- Finally, enter the command below:
- The phone will reboot and automatically install Android 8.0 Oreo Beta on Huawei P8 Lite/Honor 8 Lite.
- Once done, reboot into the stock recovery, perform a factory reset, and reboot.
When your phone boots, it shall be running Android Oreo with Project Treble support. Go ahead and enjoy the new Oreo features on your phone. The Chinese firmware doesn’t come with the Play Store. If you want it, install the GMSCore.apk first. And then install the latest Play Store and Google Play Services APKs.
So this was our tutorial on how to manually install Android 8.0 Oreo Beta on Huawei P8 Lite and Honor 8 Lite. If you have any questions regarding the procedure, then drop a comment.
//Source: XDA Forums