Owners of Project Fi’s Moto X4 Android edition, can now manually upgrade their phone to the latest Android version. Follow this guide on how to install Android 8.1 Oreo on Moto X4 Android One Edition right now!
Motorola rolled out the first wave of Android 8.0 Oreo update to the Moto X4 users back in December 2017. Fast forwarding a couple of months, device owners in the US who have bought the device from Project Fi are now receiving the next iteration i.e Android 8.1 Oreo. Being based on the Android One program, the phone has several benefits over the regular version, such as the stock Android interface. Not just that, Moto X4 Android One edition also receives the latest monthly security updates on time, as well as the major Android version upgrades such as this one. For those of you haven’t received the official OTA yet, can simply follow the steps here to install Android 8.1 Oreo on Moto X4 Android One edition.
Table of Contents
Guide to Manually Install Android 8.1 Oreo on Moto X4 Android One Edition
According to 9to5Google, several users on Reddit reportedly started receiving the OTA update notification on their devices. The new version is labeled OPW28.1 and brings Android 8.1 Oreo, along with April 2018 security patches. The latest version of Android also packs several cosmetic changes to the interface, such as wallpaper-based dark theme, revamped power menu, new icons, slightly transparent quick settings and more. Of course, the Moto X4 Android 8.1 Oreo update would also be carrying certain bug fixes and improvements over the previous version.
Please take a note that several people have reported about broken MTP/ADB connection on this update. However, the issue could be easily fixed by disabling the screen lock completely. Kindly refer to the official thread on Lenovo forums.
Before you go ahead with the instructions here, make sure to go to Settings > System > System updates and check for the OTA notification.
Thanks to XDA Senior Member Neffy27, who captured the OTA URL and share it publically on the original forum thread. The OTA ZIP can be easily used to install Android 8.1 Oreo on Moto X4 Android One edition (XT1900-1). The steps below will help you sideload the OTA package using the stock recovery.
- Perform a full backup of the data on your device. We suggest that you follow our extensive Android backup guide for the same.
- Your Moto X4 on Android One must be completely stock. If you’ve got TWRP recovery or root, then this method wouldn’t work.
- Charge the phone to a sufficient battery level to avoid any sudden shutdowns during the update process.
- Install ADB and Fastboot on the PC.
Once you have fulfilled the requirements, go ahead and install Android 8.1 Oreo on Moto X4 Android One edition right away!
Download Moto X4 Android 8.1 Oreo OTA
Steps to Install Android 8.1 Oreo on Moto X4 Android One Edition
- Download the Moto X4 Android 8.1 Oreo OTA.
- Copy the downloaded ZIP to C:\adb, where the ADB/Fastboot binaries are present.
- Hold the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
- Select ‘Open PowerShell window here’.
- Power off the phone completely.
- Hold the Volume Down and Power button to enter into Bootloader mode.
- Select the ‘Recovery’ option in the Bootloader mode and press the Power button.
- Once the Android bot appears on the screen, hold the Volume Up key and tap the Power button once.
- In stock recovery, select ‘Apply update from ADB’.
- Connect the phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- Execute the following command to install Android 8.1 Oreo on Moto X4 Android One Edition:
adb sideload Blur_Version.28.11.15.payton_fi.google_fi.en.US.zip
- The sideload process will begin and upgrade the phone to the latest software.
When the process finishes, select ‘Reboot system now’. Your Moto X4 should boot into the upgraded OS with the latest features and security patches. Again, users who have already upgraded have confirmed that the firmware has rendered several issues related to the USB connection for MTP and ADB. Although, charging seems to work fine. Once Motorola pushes a fixed build, we shall be updating the link and instructions. So, don’t forget to bookmark this post for your reference.
So, this was our guide on how to install Android 8.1 Oreo on Moto X4 Android One Edition. If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments section.