Time to get some Oreo on your Samsung flagship! Using this guide, you will be able to install the recently released Android Oreo Beta 2 on Galaxy S8 (G950F).
Smartphone manufacturers are picking up their pace to bring the latest Android version a.k.a Android Oreo, starting from their flagship devices. We recently covered a guide to unofficially install Oreo on Honor V9. By the looks of it, several OEMs including OnePlus, Huawei, LG, and Samsung have already begun the work on their end. Although there is no official deadline on when the final release will be made for general public. But these manufacturers have already pushed their respective Android Oreo Beta programs. If you wish to get Android Oreo Beta on Galaxy S8, then here’s how to do it.
Check out more on Android Oreo:
- List of Best Android Oreo Launchers
- Install ViPER4Android on Android Oreo 8.0
- How to Use Autofill on Android Oreo 8.0
- How to Customize Android Oreo NavBar without Root
Android Oreo Beta 2 on Galaxy S8 (G950F)
During the beginning of this month, Samsung finally came up with Samsung Experience 9.0 Beta to support Oreo. The program enables the selected users to experience the upcoming major update and provide appropriate feedback before the final release. According to the manufacturer, the beta program will only support the Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus in South Korea, U.S, and U.K.
The program has further limitations and will only be available for the following:
- South Korea: SK Telecom, KT or LG U+
- U.S: Unlocked, Sprint or T-Mobile
- U.K: Unlocked
So, if you have the device from the stated region and telecom, then it will be eligible for Android Oreo Beta.
Fast forward a couple of days, Samsung has now released Android Oreo Beta 2 on Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus. According to the source (Link at bottom), the current build is labeled G950FXXU1ZQK4. If you are a selected tester, then you will automatically receive the update.
Thanks to XDA Recognized Contributor Paradoxxx, we now have TWRP flash-able zips the firmware zip of the firmware. The provided ROM only works for the G950F variant (Unlocked, U.K). Do not attempt to install this on any other model or carrier variant.
Before you hop on to the instructions to install Android Oreo Beta 2 on Galaxy S8, go through the list of requirements. Make sure to fulfill them all and only then proceed further.
- The process will completely wipe your device. It is highly recommended to take a full backup first. You may follow our guide on how to backup Android devices, which also includes the instructions to take a Nandroid backup.
- Charge your S8 to at least 50-60% battery level to avoid any disturbances during the flashing process.
- Your Galaxy S8 must have TWRP recovery installed on it. If you haven’t installed it yet, you can follow our guide on how to install TWRP recovery on Galaxy S8.
Instructions to Install Android Oreo Beta 2 on Galaxy S8
- Download all the three files from the Downloads section above.
- Power down the device.
- Boot into TWRP recovery:
- Press and hold the Volume Down + Bixby + Power button until the device boots.
- Release all the buttons and instantly hold the Volume Up button to enter TWRP recovery mode.
- Before you install Android Oreo Beta 2 on Galaxy S8, it is important to wipe the device. So, once your S8 is in TWRP, go to Wipe -> Format Data.
- Enter ‘Yes’ in the provided field to completely format the device. This will also decrypt the storage.
- Once done, go to Reboot -> Recovery.
- The S8 will reboot back into TWRP.
- Now, go to ‘Mount’ and press the ‘Enable MTP’ button.
- Connect your Galaxy S8 to the PC and copy all the downloaded files including ROM, DM-Verity Disabler, and Fix.
- Press the ‘Disable MTP’ button and disconnect the phone.
- Tap on the ‘Install’ button. Browse the storage and select the ROM file (1_G950F_OREO_BETA2.zip).
- Once selected, tap on ‘Add more Zips’. Now select the ‘2_NOVERITY.zip’ file.
- Repeat step #12 again and select the ‘TEST_FIX_SECURE_950F.zip’ file this time.
- When all the files are queued for flashing, swipe the ‘Swipe to Confirm Flash’ button to install Android Oreo Beta 2 on Galaxy S8.
- Hold back for a few seconds. Once the files have been flashed, tap the ‘Reboot System’ button.
Once your S8 reboots, go through the initial setup by following the on-screen instructions. Go ahead and enjoy the all-new Oreo features on your Samsung device.
There you go, you have just been able to install Android Oreo Beta 2 on Galaxy S8. If you face any problems flashing this ROM, kindly reach back to us through the comments.