EMUI 8.0 Beta based on Android Oreo is now available for the 8 Pro. In this tutorial, we will help you install Android Oreo Beta on Honor 8 Pro DUK-L09.
Huawei is picking up the pace of delivering the latest Android updates to its flagship devices. With the Mate 10 on the edge, it seems like the final release of Oreo is closing in. We have already pinned up a guide to install Android Oreo-based EMUI 8.0 on Honor V9. Today, we will be covering up the same for the international variant – Honor 8 Pro. An XDA member has managed to grab the update files from the Huawei servers. Thanks to him, you will now be able to install Android Oreo-based EMUI 8.0 on Honor 8 Pro (DUK-L09).
- Download and Install Android Oreo Beta on Essential Phone (PH-1)
- How to Install Android Oreo Beta 2 on Galaxy S8 (G950F)
- Install OnePlus 5 Android Oreo Beta (Leaked ROM)
Android Oreo Beta on Honor 8 Pro (EMUI 8.0)
The new version of EMUI is all about machine learning. The system automatically tracks the user-behavior to provide suggestions and open apps faster. The software also offers a new feature that lets you project your phone’s display to an external display over an HDMI-to-USB-C cable. EMUI 8.0 also incorporates the Power Manager app that helps you control various aspects of the device for better performance and battery.
The XDA community is no less of contributors who keep researching and finding new things for the users. Once such member of the community – LastStandingDroid has recently provided the links to the official build of Android Oreo-based EMUI 8.0.
According to the source (Link at the bottom), Android Oreo Beta on Honor 8 Pro supports Project Treble. Which indicates that the device will be getting upcoming updates at a much faster rate.
LastStandingDroid hasn’t himself tested the firmware yet. However, it seems like several users over XDA have already tried and succeeded. Now, flashing this firmware could be little tricky, observing that there are three different files to flash. So, in the instructions below, we have tried our best to break down the steps for you to easily understand them.
The update is a beta release, which means that you may have to face some bugs. You can always return back to the stock production firmware.
The update files and instructions provided here are only meant to install Android Oreo Beta on Honor 8 Pro (DUK-L09). We shall not be held responsible for any damage caused to the device.
Even before you head up to the actual steps to install Android Oreo Beta on Honor 8 Pro, make sure to go through the list of requirements.
- Backup your Honor 8 Pro completely. You may follow our guide on how to backup Android devices.
- Your phone must have an unlocked bootloader and TWRP recovery installed. You can follow our guide on how to unlock bootloader on Huawei devices.
- Your device must be running the latest un-rooted stock firmware. Again, it should not be rooted.
- Install Huawei USB drivers on your PC.
Instructions to Install Android Oreo Beta on Honor 8 Pro DUK-L09
We have divided the steps into various parts so that you do not get confused. The first step involves formatting your device completely. The second step will involve downloading and placing the files correctly for flashing. It is then in the third step, that you will flash the files and install Android Oreo Beta on Honor 8 Pro.
Step 1: Format The Device
- Power off your device completely. Make sure that you have taken a backup.
- Boot Honor 8 Pro into TWRP:
- Press and hold the Volume Up + Power button simultaneously.
- As soon as the Honor logo appears, release the Power button and keep holding on to the Volume Up button.
- Your device should now be in TWRP recovery mode.
- Now, go to ‘Wipe’ -> ‘Format Data’.
- This step will erase your device including the internal storage. Enter ‘Yes’ in the provided field to completely wipe the device.
Step 2: Download And Transfer The Files
- Connect your Honor 8 Pro to the PC via USB cable.
- Go back to the main screen and tap on ‘Mount’. Press the ‘Enable MTP’ button.
- Download the firmware files:
- Create a folder labeled ‘HWOTA’ in the root (outside all folders) of the internal storage.
- Now, copy all the downloaded files inside the ‘HWOTA’ folder.
- Next, download the NoCheck recovery files:
- Copy these files to the root of the internal storage.
- Once transferred, press the ‘Disable MTP’ button and disconnect the device.
Your device is now ready to be flashed. So, follow the steps below to install Android Oreo Beta on Honor 8 Pro.
Step 3: Flash Android Oreo Beta on Honor 8 Pro
- In TWRP, go to ‘Advanced’ -> ‘Terminal’.
- Enter the commands below to copy all the update files from the storage to the /data/update folder.
mkdir /data/update mv /sdcard/HWOTA /data/update/HWOTA
- The commands will move the ‘HWOTA’ folder from the internal storage to /data/update directory.
- Now, flash the NoCheck recovery files using:
dd if=/sdcard/DUK-RECOVERY-NoCheck.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery_a dd if=/sdcard/DUK-RECOVERY2-NoCheck.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery2_a
- The commands will flash the recovery files. Do not reboot your device yet.
- Now, delete both the recovery files from the internal storage.
- Once deleted, enter the following commands in the given order.
echo --update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update.zip > /cache/recovery/command
echo --update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update_data_full_public.zip >> /cache/recovery/command
echo --update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update_full_DUK-L09_hw_normal.zip >> /cache/recovery/command
- Finally, reboot back to recovery mode to install Android Oreo Beta on Honor Pro 8:
Once your device boots back into EMUI recovery, it will flash the required files.
When your phone boots into the OS, follow the on-screen instructions. Now, go on and enjoy the latest EMUI 8.0 and Android Oreo features on your Honor device.
Check out some tips for Android Oreo:
That was our guide on how to install Android Oreo Beta on Honor 8 Pro. If you face any problems installing the update, you can comment below to let us know.