Have you been eagerly waiting to try Android Oreo on Xiaomi’s Android One device? Then this guide will help you download and install Android Oreo Beta on Xiaomi Mi A1.
Android Oreo has been around the block for quite some time now. We have already seen a majority of OEMs gearing up for the release. Many of which like Sony and HTC have already rolled out the final update to its flagship devices. And as it seems, Xiaomi isn’t far behind with the Mi A1, its first Android device under the Android One program. The first beta release, based on Android Oreo kicked in recently. If you’re keen to get Oreo Beta on Xiaomi Mi A1, then simply follow the instructions below.
- How to Install Xiaomi Mi A1 December Update (N2G47H.7.12.7)
- Download and Install LineageOS 14.1 on Xiaomi Mi A1 (Nougat 7.1.2)
- How to Use Autofill on Android Oreo 8.0
- Guide to Install ViPER4Android on Android Oreo 8.0
How to Install Android 8.0 Oreo Beta on Xiaomi Mi A1
Many Android OEMs are nearly on the verge of putting an end to the Beta program and announcing the final release of Android Oreo. On the other hand, Xiaomi finally announced its Android Oreo Beta program for Mi A1. The OEM is still providing a chance to the enthusiastic users to take part in the development. For which, everybody would need to apply using the stated method.
However, not all applications were accepted. Which means if you want to update Android Oreo Beta on Xiaomi Mi A1, your application should be accepted by Xiaomi. Despite the odds, members at the XDA-Developers forum still found a simple way to get through this.
Senior member – ramesh1686 has provided a TWRP Nandroid backup of the first Beta release. Since it is a backup of an untouched ROM, any user can install it on their device, just like a fresh new OS.
Xiaomi Mi A1 Android Oreo Beta update includes all the major features including Notification channels, Autofill Framework, Project Treble, redesigned Settings, and much more. So if the new features are something you definitely want to try, then the steps below will help you install Android Oreo Beta on Xiaomi Mi A1.
- The procedure requires you to wipe all the apps and related data on your device. So, make sure to take a complete backup of your Mi A1. You can follow our detailed tutorial on how to backup Android phones.
- Charge your Xiaomi device to at least 50-60% battery level.
- You must install TWRP Recovery on Mi A1.
Once you have fulfilled the requirements stated above, you shall proceed to install Android Oreo Beta on Xiaomi Mi A1.
Steps to Install Android Oreo Beta on Xiaomi Mi A1
- Boot your Xiaomi Mi A1 into TWRP recovery by pressing and holding the Volume Up + Power button simultaneously.
- In the TWRP main menu, tap on the ‘Backup’ option. Then swipe the ‘Swipe to Backup’ button on the screen. Your current ROM will be backed up completely. We are required to do this so as to get the Nandroid backup structure for the device.
- Once the backup is complete, go back to the main menu and tap on ‘Mount’.
- Connect your Mi A1 to the PC and press the ‘Enable MTP’ button (It should be enabled by default).
- Now download Xiaomi Mi A1 Android Oreo Beta (Nandroid) file: [UNOFFICIAL] AOSP OREO – tissot.zip
- Extract the downloaded zip file on your PC.
- Copy the extracted folder “[UNOFFICIAL] AOSP OREO – tissot” to the following location on your Mi A1:
- Here “28311a7f0608” folder would be differently named on your device.
- Disconnect the phone and go to ‘Wipe’ » ‘Advanced Wipe’. Select the following checkboxes and wipe your device.
- Next, go to the ‘Restore’ menu. Select the Nandroid file and swipe the button to install Android 8.0 Oreo Beta on Xiaomi Mi A1.
- After the restore is complete, you can reboot your device into the updated OS.
Once your phone boots, go through the on-screen instructions. Go ahead and enjoy all the new features. Note that since this is a Beta release, you might face some bugs.
Let us know your Android Oreo experience by commenting below.