Asus recently rolled out Android 8.0 Oreo update for the Zenfone 3 Deluxe. In this post, you will learn how to manually install Android Oreo on Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe 5.5 (ZS550KL).
Like many other manufacturers, Asus has been working on delivering the latest Android version to its supported devices. Right after the initial launch, the company confirmed that they would be updating the Zenfone 3 and Zenfone 4 to Android 8.0 Oreo. It wasn’t much later when the beta testing phase began. After months of constant testing, receiving feedback, and fixing the related issues, Asus finally rolled out the update for the stated devices. The Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe Oreo update was announced yesterday and is now rolling out over-the-air. If you haven’t received the OTA notification yet, then follow the steps below to install Android Oreo on Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe 5.5 right now.
- How to Install Asus Zenfone 4 Pro Android Oreo Update (ZS551KL)
- Install Android 8.0 Oreo on Asus Zenfone 3 (ZE552KL/ZE520KL)
- How to Install Dolby Atmos on Android Oreo (8.0/8.1)
Guide to Install Android Oreo on Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe 5.5
The Zenfone 3 Deluxe 5.5 was launched back in 2016 and is a more priced variant of the regular Zenfone 3. It comes with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 processor, 5.5-inches full HD gorilla glass 4 display, 16 MP primary camera with dual-LED flash and OIS technology. On the software end, the device sports Asus’ own ZenUI 3.0 out-of-the-box based on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. It was later updated to Android Nougat during 2017. Promisingly, the OEM has now rolled out Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe 5.5 Oreo update, which is probably on time as planned.
Before we head on to the instructions and install Android Oreo on Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe 5.5, let us dive into the details first. The new software was announced on 26th March at the ZenTalk forums. As said, it brings Android 8.0 Oreo to the device with firmware version v184.108.40.206.
This means you will get to experience a lot of new features that you’d have expected since months. These include the Picture-in-Picture mode, Notification Categories, Instant Apps, Autofill Framework, Background Limits, Smart Text Selection and much more. For more details on the new features, visit this link.
Apart from that, there are some real changes in the ZenUI as well, which includes:
- Launcher improvements: Swipe up to access all apps with new icons
- Improvised UI design
- Removal of features like Do It Later, Mini Movie, PhotoCollage, and Quick Memo.
- Removal of third-party apps like Kindle, Trip Advisor, and Puffin Browser.
These all will lead to a much cleaner and faster software experience. To check if you have already received the OTA notification, go to Settings -> About -> System update. In case you haven’t got it yet, then you can simply follow the steps below to install Android Oreo on Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe 5.5 right away.
- Manually flashing an update could often lead to data loss if not performed correctly. So, make sure to take a complete backup of your device before proceeding. You can simply follow our extensive guide on how to backup Android.
- Charge your Asus Zenfone 3 to at least 50-60% battery level. This will prevent the device from switching off during the update process.
- To sideload an update over ADB, you must first install Android SDK tools on your PC.
Once you have fulfilled the requirements above, move down below to download and install Android Oreo on Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe 5.5.
Download Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe Oreo System Image
The complete system image for Android Oreo has been provided directly by Asus. The ZIP file could be easily installed using the stock recovery on your device.
Instructions to Install Android Oreo on Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe 5.5 (ZS550KL)
- First, download Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe Android Oreo system image.
- Move the downloaded ZIP file to C:\adb. This is the folder where the ADB and Fastboot binaries are present.
- Hold the SHIFT key on the keyboard and right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
- Select ‘Open PowerShell window here‘ from the pop-up menu.
- The command-line/PowerShell window shall open on your PC.
- Next, power off your Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe.
- Hold the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously.
- Release the keys when the Asus logo appears.
- On the Android warning screen, tap the Volume Up key once while holding the Power button.
- Use the Volume keys to highlight ‘Apply update from ADB’ and press the Power button to select it.
- Connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- Finally, enter the command to install Android Oreo on Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe 5.5.
adb sideload UL-Z018-WW-220.127.116.11-user.zip
- Wait for a few minutes and let the update process finish.
- Once complete, select ‘Reboot system now’.
When your phone boots up successfully, it shall be running the latest Android Oreo software. You may go ahead and try using features like Autofill Framework, Notification Channels, PiP mode, Android Instant Apps and more. You should also feel improvements with concern to the overall performance and battery life of the device. It’s quite nice to see the OEM supporting a device with major version upgrades. Hopefully, other variants shall be added soon to the list.
So this was our tutorial on how to manually install Android Oreo on Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe 5.5 (ZS550KL). If you face any problems during the update process, kindly leave a comment below.