The latest Android version has arrived for the Huawei’s P8 Lite unofficially. You can now install Android Oreo on Huawei P8 Lite using the GZOSP ROM.
While OEMs are already delivering Oreo Beta updates to certain devices, the developer community at XDA is picking up the pace too. It seems like the list of Android Oreo custom ROMs for older devices is ever-expanding. Today, one more device seems to have made it to the list. We are pretty certain that we shall soon be seeing more of the old devices from several OEMs getting along. But if you’ve still got the P8 Lite in your hands, here’s your chance to install Android Oreo on Huawei P8 Lite and enjoy all the hefty new features.
- Install Android Oreo Beta on Honor 8 Pro DUK-L09 (EMUI 8.0)
- How to Set Metered WiFi Network on Huawei devices
- Install EMUI 8.0-based Android Oreo on Honor 9 (STF-L09B321)
- Install Android Oreo on Honor V9 DUK-AL20 (EMUI 220.127.116.115)
Android Oreo on Huawei P8 Lite – Ground Zero ROM
So what is Ground Zero Open Source Project (GZOSP)? It is an Android Oreo base for building custom ROMs for devices without having to start from scratch. Ground Zero offers an exclusive repository for those who are keen on building Oreo for their devices. The repo includes all the basic features like Advanced Reboot, Brightness Slider, Night Mode and more. Plus, it is also regularly updated with the latest bug fixes and security patches, that Google only does once every month.
XDA Recognized Contributor – surdu_petru has brought Android Oreo on Huawei P8 Lite via GZOSP ROM. The P8 Lite is a pretty old device, considering the last official update it received was that of Marshmallow 6.0. But the developer community isn’t settling for just that.
Since the ROM is at a very early stage of development, there’s a list of base functions that do not work as intended. These include:
- Radio Interface Layer (RIL)
These functions don’t work, as of yet. But the development is being carried on, and shall definitely bring these features back to work. As for the features that work correctly are Touch Screen, ADB/MTP, Audio/Video playback, WiFi, GPS, and Internal/SD Card storage.
So, if you are able to overlook the current issues and want to enjoy the Android Oreo features, then head forward and install Android Oreo on Huawei P8 Lite.
Before you even get to the installation steps, there are a few requirements that you must fulfill first.
- Your device must be running EMUI 4.1.
- We strongly suggest that you take a full backup of your phone, just in case anything goes wrong. You shall follow our tutorial on how to backup Android phones.
- Next, your P8 Lite must have an unlocked bootloader. You can read our detailed guide on how to unlock bootloader on Huawei devices.
- Also, you must have TWRP recovery in order to install Android Oreo on Huawei P8 Lite.
- Charge your phone to 50-60% battery level to avoid any shutdowns during the flash process.
Instructions to Install Android Oreo on Huawei P8 Lite
- First, download the ROM and GApps zip files.
- Connect your device to the PC and enable File Transfer mode.
- Copy the ROM and GApps file to the SD card, and disconnect the device.
- Boot your Huawei P8 Lite into TWRP using the following steps:
- Power off the device completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Up + Power button simultaneously, until you see the TWRP screen.
- [If you’re coming from AOSPA/RROS Android N, skip this step] Go to ‘Wipe’ -> ‘Format Data’ and enter “Yes” in the provided field. This will wipe your device completely, including the internal storage.
- Now, go to ‘Wipe’ -> ‘Advanced Wipe’.
- Select the Dalvik/ART Cache, System, Data, and Cache options. Finally, swipe the button on the screen to wipe the device.
- Go back to the TWRP main screen and tap on the ‘Install’ button.
- Browse through the SD card storage and select the ROM file (Gzosp-alice-8.0.Beta.1.0-UNOFFICIAL-20171119-1740.zip).
- When the file has been selected, tap on ‘Add more Zips’ button and select the GApps file this time.
- Finally, swipe the ‘Swipe to confirm Flash’ button on the screen to install Android Oreo on Huawei P8 Lite.
When the flashing process is complete, hit the ‘Reboot System’ button. Your device will boot into the fresh new Oreo firmware. Go ahead and enjoy all the new features including Picture-in-Picture mode, Notification Channels, Autofill Framework, and more.
Check the source link for more information on this ROM and you can also provide your feedback there. There you go! You have just been able to install Android Oreo on Huawei P8 Lite via GZOSP ROM.