A couple of days back, Google unwrapped the latest Android O called Android 8.0 Oreo. Following the release of Android Oreo AOSP Source code, we always anticipate a programmer or developer in the community to come up with the unofficial build to our release prior to the maker. This post is dedicated to guiding you on how to install AOSP Based Android Oreo on Redmi 2 (WT88047).
Redmi 2 was released back in early 2015 and comes with Android 6.0 Marshmallow. It offers the MIUI interface, but a lot of users do not always like highly optimized UI. This ROM seems like simple UI (like stock Android) with the least amount of bloatware. Additionally, AOSP gives you an opportunity to experience Android Oreo on Redmi 2.
Table of Contents
How to Install AOSP Based Android Oreo on Redmi 2
Android Oreo enables you to relish features like Picture-in-Picture mode, Notification Channels, Adaptive Icons, redesigned UI and Settings, better security, and enhanced performance and battery life. Android Oreo on Redmi 2 has been brought to the users by XDA member – s.sawraw. The ROM seems to be flashy in all sorts because of most of the features and basic functionality work. Which ultimately means that you can use it as a daily driver.
- Install Android Oreo on Xiaomi Mi 4i via LineageOS 15
- Android Oreo Custom ROMs List for Popular Devices – Find Yours Now!
- How to Hide Persistent Notifications on Android Oreo
- How to Install Custom Themes on Android Oreo without Root
- Enable Notification Importance Controls on Android 8.0
- Android Oreo Substratum Themes Support List
Before we go ahead to the instructions to install Android Oreo on Redmi 2, let us see all the basic functions that operate properly on this ROM, and those that don’t.
- Media playback
- AOSP apps
However, there are a few things that we must put to your notice that doesn’t work, at least not properly. These include the Camera and Camcorder. While taking a picture does work with the stock camera app, shooting videos is a no go. But, you can still shoot videos using third-party apps from the play store.
Now that you know all, let’s go ahead and install Android Oreo on Redmi 2.
Step 1: Requirements
- This process will work on Xiaomi Redmi 2, so don’t use it on other devices.
- You will lose the original ROM or some other any other custom ROM that is installed. So be certain to backup your phone prior to doing this method using TWRP or CWM or some other Custom Recovery: Tutorial
- Charge your phone up to 60-70%.
- Redmi 2 must have an unlocked bootloader with TWRP installed: Tutorial
Step 2: Download the ROM & GApps
Step 3: Follow the Steps to Install Android Oreo on Redmi 2
- First of all download AOSP ROM and GApps zip files from above download links.
- Then connect your Redmi 2 to the PC and transfer both the files.
- Now switch off your phone and start in recovery mode – Press the Volume Up and Power buttons. As soon as you see the Mi logo, release the power key and keep holding on to the Volume Up key. You shall then see TWRP recovery before you.
- Go to “Wipe” > “Advanced Wipe” and select the following options:
- Dalvik/ART Cache
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to wipe Redmi 2.
- Now, head over to the “Install” menu. Browse the storage and select the ROM zip (Example: AOSP-wt88047-8.0-EXPERIMENTAL-20170918-0227.zip). Swipe the button on the bottom to flash the ROM.
- Follow step #6 and only this time, flash the GApps.
- When the flashing is done and you have installed the ROM, tap on the “Reboot System” button.
So now you have just installed Android Oreo on Redmi 2 via AOSP-based custom ROM. It is the XDA developer whom you would want to thank and show your appreciation, so visit the source link at the end of this post.
If you have any problems while installing this ROM, you can leave a comment below.