Android Oreo is now rolling out to two more Sony devices. In this article, we will guide you on how to install Android Oreo on Xperia XZ and XZs right now.
Sony is a renowned brand that lost its power over the smartphone market in the recent years. However, the brand made its comeback in 2017 with a new series of Xperia devices. The convincing part is that all the new devices have received regular updates. Sony has also marked itself to be the first smartphone brand to release the first ever device that has Android Oreo out-of-the-box. Today, we will be talking about two of the older devices from the manufacturer. So follow this guide to install Android Oreo on Xperia XZ and XZs.
- Install Galaxy S8 Plus Android Oreo Beta 3 Update (G955F)
- How to Install OnePlus 5 Open Beta 1 Update (Android Oreo)
- Install EMUI 8.0-based Android Oreo on Honor 9 (STF-L09B321)
- Install OxygenOS 5.0 Update on OnePlus 3 and 3T (Android Oreo)
- Download and Install Android Oreo Beta on Essential Phone (PH-1)
Install Android Oreo on Xperia XZ and XZs
Sony recently started to roll out Oreo update for the stated Xperia devices. Though the update was a surprise, it was expected to be out soon. The announcement of the same was made at the Xperia Blog.
According to several news portals and users on the net, the update has started to reach out to a small percentage of users. Since this is a global rollout, it may take some time to reach your device. But if you’re not a fan of waiting in the queue, you can get your hands on the update right away. The build number of this update is 41.3.A.0.401.
Here in this guide, we will be making use Flashtool software to install Android Oreo on Xperia XZ and XZs. But before we get to that, have a look at the new features that you will get to experience.
- Google Play Protect for a more secure experience in the system and apps.
- Notification channels/categories for a more granular control.
- Notification Dots
- Updated Xperia Home launcher with app shortcuts.
- Smart Text Selection
- Picture-in-Picture mode
- Updated camera experience with more manual controls
- Revamped settings menu
Once you install the update, you shall definitely be greeted by a lot more Android Oreo features.
Before you get to the downloads and instructions to install Android Oreo on Xperia XZ/XZs, complete the list of requirements below.
- Updating your device using this method will wipe it off completely. So follow our guide on how to backup Android devices.
- Your Xperia phone must have an unlocked bootloader. You can follow our tutorial on how to unlock bootloader on Sony Xperia.
- Charge your Xperia XZ/XZs to at least 50-60% battery life to avoid any sudden shutdowns during the update process.
- Single SIM (F8331): F8331_41.3.A.0.401_TR.ftf
- Dual SIM (F8332): F8332_41.3.A.0.401_1305-0127_R1E.ftf
- Single SIM (G8231): G8231_41.3.A.0.401_Generic DE.ftf
Instructions to Install Android Oreo on Xperia XZ and XZs
- Download Flashtool from the links above and install it on your Windows PC.
- Go to C:\Flashtool\drivers on your PC.
- Double-click on ‘Flashtool-drivers.exe’ file to install the appropriate drivers.
- Once the drivers have been installed, go to C:\Flashtool directory and create a “firmwares” folder inside of it.
- Copy the downloaded firmware file (e.g. F8331_41.3.A.0.401_TR.ftf) to C:\Flashtool\firmwares.
- When everything is ready, double-click on ‘Flashtool.exe’ to launch the tool.
- Click on the ‘Flash Device’ (Lightning Bolt) icon. Select ‘Flashmode’ and click on ‘Ok’.
- The Firmware Selector window will open. Change the ‘Source folder’ to C:\Flashtool\firmwares.
- Under the ‘Wipe’ section, make sure that every checkbox has been selected.
- Finally, click on the ‘Flash’ button to install Android Oreo on Xperia XZ/XZs.
- Flashtool will prompt you to connect your Xperia device to Flashmode.
- Boot into Flashmode:
- Power down the device completely.
- Now, while holding the Volume Down key, connect the USB cable.
- Your Xperia device will enter Flashmode and the flashing process will begin.
When the process is complete, your phone will reboot into the updated OS.
There you go! You have just been able to download and install Android Oreo on Xperia XZ and XZs. Enjoy all the new features on your Xperia device now. If you have any queries regarding the procedure, then drop a comment below.