You might already know that the second Android P beta is now available for selected Android smartphones including the recently launched Nokia 7 Plus. In this tutorial, we will guide you on how to install Android P Beta on Nokia 7 Plus right now. The supported models include TA-1046 and TA-1055.
Google I/O 2018 brought in a lot of new stuff for Android. And one of the most interesting announcements of them all was the introduction of Android P Beta. Only that this time, it wouldn’t be limited to just the Google Pixel phones. Thanks to Project Treble, it is now possible to get Android P Beta up and running on a series of popular phones from different manufacturers. From Nokia specifically, the recently released mid-range Nokia 7 Plus has received the due honor. One of the reasons behind it could be that the phone comes with Android One support. Anyhow, if you have got your hands on the phone, then you can easily install Android P Beta on Nokia 7 Plus using the instructions below.
Guide to Install Android P Beta on Nokia 7 Plus
The Nokia 7 Plus has launched just about two months ago and is already running up against some major mid-range phones like the OnePlus 5T. The phone is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 chipset, a dual 12MP+13MP camera with dual-pixel phase detection and Zeiss optics, 4GB RAM, 64 Gigs of storage, and on top of all, comes with Android 8.1 Oreo (Android One) out-of-the-box. Thanks to Android One and Project Treble support, users can now enjoy the next major Android version on their phone.
In order to get Android P beta on Nokia 7 Plus, you will need to perform some additional steps, unlike the simple process followed for the Pixel phones. You will first need to validate your phone with Nokia and then sideload the provided OTA using the stock recovery. We have detailed everything below, so be out of worries. Before you even install Android P Beta on Nokia 7 Plus, let us take a look at some of the new major features that you’ll enjoy.
Below is the list of the major Android P features:
- Adaptive Battery mode
- New navigation gestures
- App Actions and Slices
- Smart replies in notifications
- Improved text magnifier
- Enhanced audio /w Dynamic Processing API
For more details, visit the official Android Developers Blog. Of course, the second developer preview also carries over all the features from Android P Dev Preview 1. Which means, you also get the new Quick Settings design, improved notifications, new icons in the settings menu, revamped volume controls and more.
Now that you’re briefed about the features you would expect, let us move over to the instructions to install Android P Beta on Nokia 7 Plus. The process is split into two major steps. The first one will allow you to register your phone for the beta software and download the OTA ZIP. The second one will follow up with the instructions on how to easily sideload the Android P Beta OTA.
- The instructions below are meant only for Nokia 7 Plus with model no. TA-1046 and TA-1055.
- Ensure that you perform a full backup of your personal data, including the internal storage. You can also visit our post on how to backup Android phones for the same.
- Charge your phone to at least 60% battery level to avoid any mishaps during the process.
- Install Android SDK tools on the PC.
- According to Nokia, it is very important to factory reset the device from stock recovery (and not the settings). We have includes the instructions below to streamline the process.
- Type “*#06#” in the dialer and note down the IMEI number.
Download Nokia 7 Plus Android P Beta
To install Android P Beta on Nokia 7 Plus, you will first need to register the device and download the OTA package. First, make sure to create a Nokia account, if you haven’t already.
- Visit the official registration page.
- Sign in with the Nokia account.
- Enter the IMEI number, network operator, and location of your Nokia 7 Plus.
- Tick the terms checkbox.
- Finally, click on the ‘Register’ button.
- Once validated successfully, click on the ‘Download’ button.
- The Android P OTA package will be downloaded on the PC.
Move the downloaded ZIP file (e.g. B2N-3050-0-00WW-B01-update.zip) to C:\adb, where the ADB and Fastboot binaries are present. Note that the filename of the OTA could be different for your phone.
Install Android P Beta on Nokia 7 Plus
- Boot your Nokia 7 Plus into stock recovery mode. To do so, first Power off the phone completely.
- Hold the Volume Up and Power button simultaneously until the Android One logo appears.
- On the ‘no command’ screen, hold the Power button and tap the Volume Up key once.
- Note: In recovery mode, you can move the selector using the Volume buttons and confirm a selection by pressing the Power button.
- Select the ‘Wipe data/factory reset’ option and ‘Yes’ to confirm.
- Next, select ‘Apply update from ADB’.
- Connect the phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded OTA ZIP to C:\adb folder, where the Android SDK tools are installed.
- Hold the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
- Select ‘Open PowerShell window here’.
- Enter the following command install Android P Beta on Nokia 7 Plus:
adb sideload ota-file.zip
- Note: replace “ota-file.zip” with the actual OTA filename. Example:
adb sideload B2N-3050-0-00WW-B01-update.zip
- When the process is complete, select ‘Reboot system now’.
When your phone boots, it shall be running the latest and upcoming Android version. So go ahead and try all the new features!
The Beta program will assist developers to get their apps ready for Android P. Non-developers or the regular users can contribute as well by providing their assessment in correspondence to the new features. Simply input and send your thoughts and suggestions via the feedback app on the phone or visit the link below.
So there you go! You have just been able to install Android P Beta on Nokia 7 Plus. The final release is planned during the third quarter (Q3) in 2018. Prior to that, there will be three more previews. So start exploring right away and let us know which ones of the new features that you like the most. Also, if you have any questions regarding the process, then please leave a comment.