Android P Developer Preview 2 is available for several different OEM devices now. You can now download and install Android P Beta on Vivo X21 and Vivo X21 UD.
This year’s Google I/O annual developers conference brought a lot to the table for Android devices. For instance, we saw some major improvements in terms of various Google services including 6 new voices for Google Assistant. But the major one of ’em all was the introduction of Android P public beta. That’s because the new preview software is now available for more OEM devices than just the Pixel phones. This has been made possible through Project Treble, which was introduced last year.
If you’ve not got the preview running on your devices yet, then don’t worry, because we have got you covered. The steps below will help you install Android P Beta on Vivo X21 and Vivo X21 UD.
Guide to Install Android P Beta on Vivo X21 and Vivo X21 UD
The Vivo X21/X21 UD is the latest flagship from the manufacturer. The phone comes with very thin bezels, fullscreen display, and an in-display fingerprint sensor (In X21 UD), which is the first in the industry. The phone also offers Android 8.1 Oreo out-of-the-box along with Project Treble support, which makes it eligible for quicker Android OS updates, just like this one. Before you even install Android P Beta on Vivo X21 and X21 UD, let us discuss some of the major changes that you can expect from this preview.
According to the official release notes and Android Developers blog, there are a lot of new features that will accompany all supported devices, including the Vivo phones. Revamped quick settings, smart replies in notifications, new icons in settings, Adaptive Battery, App Actions, enhanced audio with Dynamic Processing API, and new system navigation gestures are just to name a few.
Vivo has also outlined some of the known issues that you might face while using the developer preview.
- Video calls do not work
- Face recognition does not work
- The camera only supports the most basic camera and video functions
- No support for global eye protection feature (temporary)
- Slow location positioning
- No music playback over Bluetooth
- Fingerprint payment feature is not supported
- No support for small screen mode (temporary)
So now, if the present issues do not bother you much, then you can go ahead and install Android P Beta on Vivo X21/Vivo X21 UD. Most or even all of the stated bugs would probably be fixed in the next developer preview.
- The method mentioned here and the system images are only for the said devices. Do not attempt to flash the files on any other branded phone or variant.
- The process will wipe the phone completely. So make sure to perform a full backup of your phone including the internal storage. You can also visit our Android backup guide for the same.
- Charge the Vivo phone to a sufficient battery level to avoid any sudden shutdowns during the update process.
Download Vivo X21 and Vivo X21 UD Android P Beta
Install Android P Beta on Vivo X21 and Vivo X21 UD
- Download the Android P system image for the device.
- Connect the Vivo X21 to the PC using the USB cable.
- Enable file transfer mode on the phone.
- Copy the downloaded system image ZIP to the root directory of the internal storage or SD card.
- By ‘root’, we mean outside all the folders on the storage.
- Disconnect the phone.
- Open the file manager and tap on the system image ZIP (e.g. PD1728_A_1.18.21-update-full-wipe_1525665451.zip).
- The update prompt should open on the phone’s screen.
- Tap on the ‘Start upgrade’ option to install Android P Beta on Vivo X21 and Vivo X21 UD.
The process would take a few minutes to finish. Once complete, the phone will be upgraded to Android P Developer Preview. Start by setting up the device by following the on-screen instructions. Once done, you will be able to enjoy the latest Android OS version on your Vivo device. According to the source, the next preview will be announced during June, which is next month. So stay tuned for more updates.
If you’re an app developer, then get your app ready for the upcoming Android version. Google has also provided clear instructions on migrating apps to Android P. If you’re a regular user, you can easily contribute to the development by providing your feedback and submitting bug reports here.
So, this was our guide on how to install Android P Beta on Vivo X21 and Vivo X21 UD. If you’ve got any questions regarding the process or the new software, then reach out to us via the comments.