Following the release of Android Pie-based One UI for its flagship lineup, Samsung is now rolling out Android Pie for Galaxy A8 Plus with model number SM-A730F. In this post, we will show you how to install Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus Android Pie (One UI) update manually. It could be easily done by flashing the Pie firmware using Odin flash tool.
Recently, Samsung announced Android Pie Beta program for Galaxy A6 and Galaxy A7. which were released back in 2018. Unlike the rest of the Samsung devices which have been upgraded to Pie recently, the Galaxy A8 Plus didn’t get any prior beta updates, neither were there any hints of it.
The news broke in from SamMobile, stating that the Galaxy A8 Plus Android Pie-based One UI update has started rolling out in Russia. Users already seem to be surprised and equally happy about it. This year, Samsung is quickly gearing up and improving its experience when it comes to software updates.
To force-check for the OTA update, go to Settings > Software updates > Download updates manually. Now, the Android Pie firmware is also available for download. Which means you can flash it using Odin to manually install Samsung Galaxy A8 Plus Android Pie update. But before you head towards the instructions, let us see what new features and changes this update brings to your A8+.
One UI for Samsung Galaxy A8 Plus (2018) – Changelog
Android Pie in itself is a huge upgrade as it brings tons of new features and changes to the OS. Some of the most anticipated features include the new gesture-based navigation, Adaptive Battery and Brightness, App Actions, display cutouts (notch) support, revamped Notifications, Quick Settings, and Settings menu, and much more.
With Galaxy A8 Plus Android Pie update, Samsung has also released its new stock skin – One UI, that sits atop. It brings tons of new adjustments to the OS. The whole interface has been given a facelift to remove the excess clutter and help users focus on things at hand. Talking of the UI, the upper section of each window is for viewing, and the lower for interaction, which makes it easy to use the modern tall display of your phone.
Then, a system-wide dark mode is also present. Once enabled, it automatically adjusts the contrast and brightness of the screen for a more comfortable viewing experience in dark environments.
According to the release notes published by Samsung, the following is the complete changelog:
- Content, settings, and other information have been reorganized to keep you focused on the task at hand.
- Interactive elements have been moved to the bottom of the screen so they’re always within reach.
- New designs and features such as Night mode help keep your eyes comfortable.
- You can reply to messages directly in the notification panel.
- Image thumbnails are included in message notifications.
- In an app’s notification settings, tap the switch once to turn on or off all the notifications in a category.
- New Unicode 11.0 emojis are available.
- New adaptive theme changes your keyboard look based on the colors of the surrounding app.
- Floating keyboard is available in all apps and has new size and transparency settings.
- You can set a custom touch and hold delay.
Device care (formerly Device maintenance)
- Performance modes are streamlined and integrated into power saving modes.
- The Edge panel for device maintenance is discontinued.
Always On Display
- New clock styles have been added, including the option to show a calendar with your schedule.
- Charging information has been added to let you know how much time is remaining until fully charged.
- You can show Always On Display whenever the screen is off, or you can set it to show for 30 seconds when you tap the screen.
- Menus have been reorganized to make settings easier to find.
- Continue using your phone while DeX is being displayed on a monitor or TV.
- Use Samsung DeX with supported HDMI adapters. No need for a DeX Station.
- Bixby is all new, with a range of improvements and new features.
- Swipe left from the main Bixby screen to explore the latest features and supported apps.
- You can control the Bixby key in settings to decide what happens when you press or double press.
- You can now sort your call history by incoming and outgoing calls.
- Your call history can include up to 2000 entries (increased from 500 entries).
- The new drawer menu makes it easier to manage contacts from various accounts.
- The new Scene optimizer automatically enhances the camera’s color settings to fit the scene.
- Photo Editor Pro’s editing tools have been added to Gallery, so you can make all your edits and touchups without leaving the app.
- The new storage analysis tool has been added to help you monitor your storage usage and save space.
- You can now show or hide items on the My Files Home screen.
- Your daily step count will be shown in the notification panel. To hide it, press and hold the notification, then turn off Current steps.
Other improvements and changes
- Turn on the screen automatically whenever you pick up your phone using the Lift to wake feature.
- Access Kids Home on the quick panel.
- Call stickers has been discontinued.
- HEIF images are now supported.
Apart from what’s mentioned above, most of the Samsung apps including Browser, Contacts, Calculator, Samsung Health, Samsung Pay etc will also be updated to newer versions after you upgrade your phone.
Overall, Android Pie-based One UI for Samsung Galaxy A8 Plus brings a plethora of new features and refinements to the device. Not to forget, the update brings February 2019 security patches too.
- The process below will not wipe any data. However, we still strongly recommend that you take a complete backup of all your data on the phone including the internal storage. You can also follow our Android backup guide for this purpose.
- Charge your Samsung Galaxy A8 Plus to a sufficient battery level. This shall help avoid any sudden shutdowns during the update process.
- Make sure that you install Samsung USB drivers on your PC
- Important: On your phone, go to the security settings and delete your current fingerprint data. This shall be done in order to prevent corruption of secure data/fingerprints after the update.
- The provided Android Pie firmware will work regardless of which software version you have installed. It is worth noting that firmware is only available for Russian (SER) region. Since it supports multi-OXM CSC, devices in the following region should be able to use this method:
- CAC – Uzbekistan
- CHO – Chile
- COO – Colombia
- CPW – United Kingdom (Carphone Warehouse)
- DBT – Germany
- EON – Trinidad and Tobago
- SEK – Ukraine (Kyivstar)
- SER – Russia
- SKZ – Kazakhstan
- TPA – Panama
- TTT – Trinidad and Tobago
- XEO – Poland
- ZTO – Brazil
Download Galaxy A8 Plus Android Pie (One UI) Update
The firmware is already available on SamMobile, Samfrew, and other firmware databases. However, we’d like to especially thank XDA Recognized Developer corsicanu for mirroring the firmware and sharing the links publicly. Make sure that you visit the original XDA thread and press the ‘Thanks’ button for him.
- India (INS): SamMobile | SamFrew
- Kazakhstan (SKZ): SamMobile | SamFrew
- Nepal (NPL): SamMobile | SamFrew
- Russia (SER): SamMobile | SamFrew
- Uzbekistan (CAC): SamMobile | SamFrew
If you face slow download speeds, then you can also download and use SamFirm tool to download Android Pie firmware for your Galaxy A8 Plus. Once you run the tool, enter “SM-A730F” as the model and “SER“, “INS” or “SKZ” etc as the region.
Once the wider rollout starts and the firmware is available for other regions as well, we will be updating this post.
How to Install Samsung Galaxy A8 Plus Android Pie Update
You can update your Galaxy A8 Plus to Android Pie by simply flashing the Pie firmware using Odin Flash Tool. If you’re not sure how to do it, then follow the instructions listed below:
- Download Galaxy A8 Plus Android Pie (One UI) firmware
- Extract the downloaded firmware file on the PC
- Power off your phone completely
- Hold the Volume Down, Volume Up and Power buttons together and connect the USB cable
- Once the Warning screen appears, press the Volume Up button to enter Download Mode on your Galaxy A8 Plus
- Connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable
- Download the Patched Odin 3.13.1 zip and extract it on the PC
- Double-click on ‘Odin3 3.13.1.exe’ file to run the Odin tool
- The ‘ID:COM’ port should light up ensuring that your phone is successfully detected by the tool
- Click on the ‘Options’ tab in the Odin window
- Make sure that ‘Auto Reboot’ and ‘F.Reset Time’ options are checked
- Now, click on the ‘BL’ button in Odin and select the firmware file starting with ‘BL_A730FXXU4CSC9.
- Do the same for ‘AP’, ‘CP’, and ‘CSC’ and select the corresponding firmware files.
- In the case of ‘CSC’, make sure to select the ‘HOME_CSC_OXM’ file. The regular CSC will wipe the phone completely. On the other hand, the HOME_CSC will preserve the data after the update.
- Finally, click on the ‘Start’ button to install Samsung Galaxy A8 Plus Android Pie Update
After the installation finishes, you shall see the ‘PASS!’ message in the Odin tool window and your phone should reboot into the updated OS.
We would also strongly recommend you to do a factory reset via the device settings or stock recovery. This shall help prevent any unusual behavior after updating.
Now that your phone has been updated, go ahead and explore new features on your phone Android Pie and Samsung’s One UI. So, you have just been able to install Samsung Galaxy A8 Plus Android Pie-based One UI Update. If you have any questions regarding the process, feel free to drop a comment below.