The official Android Oreo build for the Galaxy S8 and S8+ has been leaked on Reddit. Follow the instructions in this guide to download and install leaked Android Oreo CRA1 build on Snapdragon Galaxy S8.
It has been a few months since Samsung pushed Oreo Beta builds for its flagship devices. Later on, in December, the Note 8 joined in too. After a series of beta updates, the OEM is finally closing in on the final rollout. The major update will be possibly announced during mid-January, following the report from XDA. It’s quite a story when it comes to leaked firmware, they can give you a good idea of what’s coming next. Galaxy S8 Snapdragon users can now install leaked Android Oreo CRA1 build on their devices.
- Install Galaxy S8 Plus Android Oreo Beta 3 Update (G955F)
- How to Increase Galaxy Edge Screen Size without Root
- Disable Bixby button on Galaxy S8, S8 Plus, and Note 8
- Add Quick Settings Display Mode Tile on Galaxy S8/S8+ (Root)
How to Install Leaked Android Oreo CRA1 Build on Galaxy S8 Snapdragon
The news came flashing in from Reddit, where Redditor – Child_Kicker_16 provided the download links of the leaked Android Oreo build for Snapdragon Galaxy S8 users. It ain’t the first time that the official build was slipped away before the final release and especially in case of Samsung. We also previously saw Oreo Beta Leaked for Galaxy Note 8.
Update: According to the UK Beta Team, Samsung currently has no plans for implementing Dolby Atmos on S8 and S8+ using Android Oreo. Thanks, Cristian Mereuta for the information and screenshot!
The major highlight of this build are as follows:
- January 2018 Security Patch
- New boot animation
- Dolby Atmos audio
Users who have already installed it have claimed that the leaked firmware is a little better in terms of performance when compared to Beta release.
At first, there wasn’t much information provided on the Reddit thread by the poster. However fellow Redditors didn’t take much time to analyze and provide an accurate way to install leaked Android Oreo CRA1 build on Galaxy S8 Snapdragon. For starters, your device must have the stock BQL1 firmware installed. After that, you can easily sideload the provided build using the stock recovery.
Fulfill the requirements below before you read the instructions to install Leaked Android Oreo CRA1 Build on your device.
- The provided build and instructions are only meant for the Snapdragon Galaxy S8 and S8+ in the U.S.
- Sideloading the OTA will not trip the KNOX counter, so stay out of worries.
- You must first install BQL1 firmware on the device. You can update over-the-air or flash the full firmware using Odin. Download the firmware for Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+.
- Take a complete backup of your Samsung phone before proceeding. You may follow our guide on how to backup Android devices.
Download Android Oreo CRA1 OTA Package
Manually Install Leaked Android Oreo CRA1 Build on Galaxy S8 and S8+
- Download the OTA update.zip for your device from the links above.
- Connect your Galaxy S8 to the PC.
- Copy the downloaded package to the root of the SD card (external storage). By ‘Root’, we mean outside all the folders.
- Disconnect the device and power it off completely.
- Boot into stock recovery:
- Press and hold the Volume Up + Bixby + Power button altogether.
- An Android bot with warning message shall show up on the screen.
- So, while holding the Power button, tap the Volume Up key once.
- In stock recovery, use the Volume buttons to highlight “Apply update from SD card” and select the option using the Power button.
- Navigate to the SD card and select the “update.zip” file.
- Finally, select “Yes” to install Leaked Android Oreo CRA1 build on Galaxy S8 Snapdragon.
- When the process is complete, select the ‘Reboot system now’ option.
Your Galaxy S8/S8+ should boot into the updated OS. So go ahead and enjoy the Oreo-exclusive features like Picture-in-Picture mode, Notification Dots, Instant Apps, and more. The specific build also includes Dolby Atmos interface for a better audio experience, so you can play with that too.
So you have just been able to install Leaked Android Oreo CRA1 build on Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ Snapdragon. If you have any questions regarding the update process, leave a comment below.