The first ever custom ROM for Xiaomi’s first Android One device is here. You can now download and install LineageOS 14.1 on Xiaomi Mi A1.
Xiaomi’s Android One smartphone has been on the market for a little more than two months now. It has also probably been marked as one of the best smartphones in the Android One series. The metallic body and slim design give it a nice premium touch. It comes with Android Nougat 7.1.2 offering a pure Android experience. But if you’re tempted by the features offered by custom ROMs, then we will just help you install LineageOS 14.1 on Xiaomi Mi A1 right now.
- How to Install Xiaomi Mi A1 December Update (N2G47H.7.12.7)
- Enable AR Stickers on Nexus 6P, OnePlus 3/3T, Xiaomi Mi 5
- Root Xiaomi Mi A1 (Magisk) and Install TWRP Recovery
- Install Android Oreo on Xiaomi Mi 4i via LineageOS 15
Download and Install LineageOS 14.1 on Xiaomi Mi A1
While the development scene for the Mi A1 kicked in with the release of TWRP recovery, there was still no sign of a custom ROM. The major reason behind which is the lack of device’s kernel source. Being a part of the Android One program, it is surprising that Xiaomi still hasn’t pushed the A1’s source code. Actions like such often lead to long breaks of inactive development, especially when it comes to custom ROMs. That’s one major reason that Google introduced Project Treble, that will speed up the whole process significantly.
While most of the devices are now getting Lineage OS 15 support, the Mi A1 is has been forced to stick with LineageOS 14.1 due to non-availability of source code. Find all the list of supported devices which will receive Lineage OS 15.
Before we head to the instructions to install LineageOS 14.1 on Xiaomi Mi A1, let’s dive into the details.
The ROM has been developed and booted without any official source code. Which means an intensive amount of work has been done to accomplish it. The credit goes to the brilliant XDA RC deadman96385 and IRD cute_prince who made it possible after all the hard work.
The developer took the Redmi Note 4’s kernel code and reworked it to boot on the A1. That’s mostly due to the similarities in the hardware config. While they made it perfectly bootable, there are several non-working elemental features. If you’re a developer, you can find the working kernel source code at Github.
Before you head down and install LineageOS 14.1 on Xiaomi Mi A1, take a look at what’s not working in the ROM.
The list of features that are not working include:
- Music/ringtones/notification audio
- Fingerprint sensor
By the looks of it, the ROM is extremely experimental and could not be used as a daily driver just yet. But if you’ve got your hands deep in customization, then follow the steps below to download LineageOS 14.1 on Xiaomi Mi A1.
- Take a complete backup of your device first-hand. This will prevent any data loss during the process. Note that the apps and related data will be fully wiped. You may follow our guide on how to backup Android phones.
- Your Mi A1 should have an unlocked bootloader.
- Charge your Xiaomi device to a sufficient battery level to avoid any shutdowns during the flashing process.
- You must install ADB and Fastboot tools on your PC. These will be required to boot TWRP recovery on your device.
Download LineageOS for Xiaomi Mi A1
SU (Root addon): addonsu-14.1-arm64-signed.zip
Modified TWRP: recovery-3.1.1-1-deadman.img
Instructions to Install LineageOS 14.1 on Xiaomi Mi A1
- Download the ROM, GApps (optional), and su addon (optional) from the links above.
- Connect your phone to the PC and enable the ‘Transfer files’ mode.
- Copy the downloaded files to the phone’s internal storage.
- Disconnect the device and power it off. Then press and hold the Volume Down and Power button all together to enter Fastboot mode.
- Once your Mi A1 is in Fastboot mode, connect it to the PC.
- In order to install LineageOS 14.1 on Xiaomi Mi A1, you will first need to boot TWRP recovery. The developer has provided a special TWRP build that will work flawlessly with Oreo. So, download the TWRP file.
- Copy the recovery file to the C:\adb folder where all the ADB/Fastboot binaries are present.
- Inside the same folder, press the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space.
- Select the ‘Open PowerShell window here’ or ‘Open command window here’ option from the menu.
- Now enter the following command in the CMD/PowerShell window:
fastboot boot recovery-3.1.1-1-deadman.img
- This will boot your Mi A1 into TWRP recovery mode.
- In TWRP, go to ‘Wipe’ » ‘Advanced Wipe’. Select the following check boxes and swipe the button to wipe the device.
- Go back to the TWRP main screen and select ‘Install.
- Browse to the location where you copied the ROM, GApps, and su files earlier.
- First, select the ROM package (e.g. lineage-14.1-20171208_062626-UNOFFICIAL-tissot.zip).
- Once the file is selected, tap on ‘Add more Zips’ button and select the GApps zip. Next, do the same for the ‘su’ file.
- When all the files are selected, swipe the ‘Swipe to confirm Flash’ button to install LineageOS 14.1 on Xiaomi Mi A1.
After the flashing process has completed, hit the ‘Reboot System’ button. Your Mi A1 shall then enter the fresh new OS with added features and better performance.
Go ahead try the additional features and let us know what you love about the ROM, and what you don’t. So there you go! You have just been able to install LineageOS 14.1 on Xiaomi Mi A1.