The first ever custom ROM is now available for Google’s latest flagship. Learn how to install LineageOS 15.1 on Google Pixel 2 XL. The ROM is based on Android 8.1 Oreo.
The Google Pixel 2 XL came out of the box with Android 8.0 Oreo accompanied by a list of exclusive features. With the advancements over the past years, the need of using custom ROMs has seen a quiet decline. But users, who often like to customize their devices with third-party features are still looking forward to custom ROMs. One such popular custom ROM is LineageOS. It has also been a ROM that has brought support for Oreo to a long list of devices, unofficially. If you are keen on seeing how it performs on your Pixel device, then follow this guide to install LineageOS 15.1 on Google Pixel 2 XL.
- Enable Pixel 2 Portrait Mode on Nexus 6P/5X and Pixel Devices
- How to Unlock Bootloader on Verizon Google Pixel 2
- Set Custom Saturation Level on Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL (Root)
- Change Active Edge Squeeze Sensitivity on Google Pixel 2 and XL
Guide to Install LineageOS 15.1 on Google Pixel 2 XL
The developers are adapting to the latest Android version and advancing fast towards the official release. LineageOS 15.1 is based on Android 8.1 Oreo. While the development is still work-in-progress, the official maintainer (RaymanFX) has taken his time to compile unofficial builds for the Pixel 2 XL.
With TWRP recovery now officially available for the device. Users now have the chance to flash custom ROMs, mods, and kernels to optimize their Pixel 2 device for better performance, battery life, and customizations.
Before we hop onto the instructions to install LineageOS 15.1 on Google Pixel 2 XL, let us talk a bit more about the current builds. Unofficial LineageOS 15.1 ROM is built upon Android 8.1 Oreo, which means all the generic features like Autofill framework, Notification channels, PiP mode, wider color gamut, Advanced Doze Mode and more, are already present. Also, Lineage OS brings some of the unique features that will allow you attain a better overall experience.
The ROM is still under development stage, so you may face some bugs but don’t worry about that they will be fixed as the development progress. Rest assured, the build is stable enough to be used as a daily driver.
Make sure to fulfill the requirements before you install LineageOS 15.1 on Google Pixel 2 XL.
- Take a complete backup of your Pixel device before you install this ROM. You can follow our guide on how to backup Android phones.
- Charge your phone to at least 50-60% battery level to avoid any shutdowns during the flashing process.
- Installing a custom ROM on your device requires you to have TWRP installed. Follow our guide on how to install TWRP on Google Pixel 2 XL.
Download LineageOS 15.1 ROM for Pixel 2 XL
The developer explicitly suggests not to flash third-party GApps package.
Steps to Install LineageOS 15.1 on Google Pixel 2 XL
- Download the LineageOS 15.1 ROM zip from the link above.
- [Optional] Since the ROM will re-write the boot image, TWRP will be wiped. So if you still want TWRP, just download ‘twrp-pixel2-installer-taimen-3.2.1-0.zip’ from here.
- Next, connect your Google Pixel 2 XL to the PC.
- Copy the ROM and TWRP installer zip (optional) files to the internal storage.
- Disconnect the phone from the PC and power it down.
- Boot into TWRP recovery:
- Hold the Volume Down + Power button together to enter Bootloader mode.
- Tap the volume keys a few times until “Recovery Mode” appears on the screen. Then press the Power button to enter TWRP.
- Once your Google Pixel 2 XL is in TWRP, go to ‘Wipe’ » ‘Advanced Wipe’.
- Select the options as shown in the image above and swipe the ‘Swipe to Wipe’ button.
- Go back to the TWRP main screen and tap on ‘Install’.
- Navigate to the location where the files were transferred.
- Select the LineageOS ROM package (lineage-15.1-20180111-UNOFFICIAL-taimen.zip).
- Swipe the button on the screen to install LineageOS 15.1 on Google Pixel 2 XL.
- When the ROM is installed, flash the TWRP installer zip in the same manner.
- Finally, press the ‘Reboot System’ button.
When your phone boots, go through the on-screen instructions to set it up. Once done, you will be able to enjoy a clean Android experience with added features. If you would like to root your device, you can install latest Magisk 15.3 zip using TWRP.
So there you go, you have just succeeded to install LineageOS 15.1 on Google Pixel 2 XL. If you have any questions regarding the ROM or want to report bugs, kindly visit the original XDA thread.