Ready to update your Moto G5 Plus to Oreo? Well, not officially, but you can still enjoy all the latest Android Oreo features by installing LineageOS 15 on Moto G5 Plus.
As you already aware of the latest Android 8.0 Oreo update from Google. Lineage OS 15 is already available for multiple devices, which is based on Oreo. We have already shared many tutorials regarding LineageOS and Oreo. The device was launched last year in collaboration with Lenovo. While the official Android Oreo update for Moto G5 Plus is planned, but there’s no known time frame for its arrival. But if you’re eager to get Oreo right away, then follow this guide to install LineageOS 15 on Moto G5 plus, that is based on Android Oreo.
- How to Use Autofill on Android Oreo 8.0
- Android Oreo Custom ROMs List for Popular Devices – Find Yours Now!
- How to Hide Persistent Notifications on Android Oreo
- Enable Notification Importance Controls on Android Oreo
- How to Customize Android Oreo NavBar without Root
Table of Contents
LineageOS 15 on Moto G5 Plus
Moto G5 Plus was launched with Android 7.0 Nougat. There are several users who have criticized the inefficiency to customize the stock UI or settings. LineageOS 15 is the perfect alternative for those people who want Android Oreo plus the extra customization options on their G5 Plus.
While official LineageOS 15 is still work-in-progress, the ROM port of LineageOS 15 on Moto G5 Plus has been brought by XDA member – vache. We thank him for his tremendous hard work and for bringing this ROM to the users.
This custom ROM is much similar in look like the Stock Android but offers several more customization options. Since this is an early development port, there are a few things that are not working as intended.
What is not working:
- SELinux (Permissive)
- Bluetooth Audi Call Routing
Apart from the above, the ROM boots well and also allow you to use every other feature of your device. However, there might be some ROM related bugs present, but those will be resolved soon. You can check the latest features, improvements, and changelogs here.
Now that you know all about this ROM, go ahead and install LineageOS 15 on Moto G5 Plus.
Credits: XDA member vache
- Installing this ROM will wipe down all your apps and related data, so make sure that you take a complete backup before proceeding: Tutorial
- Your Moto G5 Plus must have an unlocked bootloader: Tutorial
- TWRP recovery must be installed on your device to flash LineageOS 15 on Moto G5 Plus: Tutorial
Steps to Install LineageOS 15 on Moto G5 Plus
- First of all download the ROM and GApps files from the download links above.
- Connect your G5 Plus to the PC and transfer both the files to the storage.
- Disconnect the device and switch it off.
- Boot Moto G5 Plus into TWRP – Press and hold the Volume Down + Power buttons until you see the bootloader screen. Now, use the volume keys to highlight “Recovery mode” and then press the Power button to select it.
- Once you are in the TWRP recovery mode, navigate to Wipe > Advanced Wipe. Then select the following options:
- Dalvik/ART Cache
- Swipe the button on the bottom of the screen to wipe Moto G5 Plus.
- Now go back to the recovery home screen and go to “Install”.
- Browse the device’s storage and select the ROM zip file (e.g. lineage-15.0-20170921-UNOFFICIAL-potter.zip).
- Once the ROM file is selected, press on the “Add more Zips” button and select the GApps package (e.g. open_gapps-arm-8.0-pico-20170906-UNOFFICIAL.zip) this time.
- Finally, swipe the “Swipe to Confirm Flash” button on the screen.
- The flashing process will complete and then you can press the “Reboot System” button.
Voila! You are now done with installing LineageOS 15 on Moto G5 Plus. You can now also install custom themes on Android Oreo without Root.
Go on and enjoy features like Adaptive icons, Picture-in-Picture mode, Notification channels, Instant apps, and much more on your Smartphone. If you have any problems installing Oreo on the G5 Plus, then feel free to write to us.