The stable rollout of the infamous MIUI 9 is on route to the supported devices. You can follow this tutorial on how to install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Mi Mix 2 right now.
Xiaomi announced the global stable release of MIUI 9 on November 2. Since that, several devices, including the Mi 6, Redmi 4/4X, Note 4, Mi 5, etc have received this update. However, Xiaomi’s latest flagship with the bezel-less design – Mi Mix 2 was still in the queue, until yesterday. MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Mi Mix 2 has started to roll out. But it seems like only a small percentage of users have received it yet.
- Install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Redmi 4 and 4X (MIUI V22.214.171.124)
- How to Install Redmi Note 4 MIUI 9 Stable ROM
- How to Install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 4s (MIUI V126.96.36.199)
- Install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5, 5s, 5s Plus (MIUI V188.8.131.52)
Download and Install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Mi Mix 2
About two months ago, Xiaomi released the successor to last year’s Mi Mix. The phone has stood out with its 5.99-inches display with 18:9 aspect ratio, Snapdragon 835 chipset, Bluetooth 5.0 LE and more. The device also features a unique secondary camera that’s placed on the bottom-right of the body. Mi Mix 2 has also dismissed the 3.5 mm headphone jack. The headphone audio is now routed through the USB Type-C connector.
On the software end, the phone comes with MIUI 9 built-in. But the software that comes out-of-the-box was incomplete, with lack of features and global translations. Once you have installed MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Mi Mix 2, you will be able to take advantage of the full-fledged MIUI experience. Some of the feature highlights are mentioned below:
- Faster app loading and overall performance improvements
- Bundled notifications with Quick Reply feature
- Multi-window support for easier multitasking
- Image search in Gallery
- New video app with support for multiple file formats
This is just the tip of the iceberg. According to the official changelog, there are nearly a ton of fixes, improvements, and features packed inside. We will be covering three different methods to install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Mi Mix 2. So without any delays, let us jump to the process.
Before You Begin
Prior to all, make sure that you take a complete backup of your device first. To do so, you can take a read at our guide to backup Android devices. Also, charge your Mix 2 to at least 50-60% battery level to avoid any shutdowns during the update process.
Download MIUI 9 Stable ROM for Mi Mix 2
Recovery Full ROM:
Instructions to Install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Mi Mix 2
Follow the method corresponding to your device’s current situation, as listed below:
- Previous stable release -> Method 1
- MIUI 9 Beta/China/Developer ROM -> Method 2
- Custom ROM with TWRP -> Method 3
Method 1: Using Updater App
The easiest method to get MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Mi Mix 2 is by installing it through the Updater app. The method will only work if you have a previous Stable version installed.
- Download the full ROM from the link above and transfer it to your device.
- Then launch the ‘Updater’ app from your phone’s homescreen.
- When the app opens, tap on the menu icon (3-dots) on the top-right.
- Select ‘Choose update package’.
- Browse the internal storage and select the full ROM zip file.
- Tap on ‘Ok’ when prompted.
The update process will begin and it will install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Mi Mix 2.
Method 2: Using MiFlash Tool
- Download the Fastboot ROM from the link above and extract it to an easily accessible location on your PC. For example, in our case, it is C:\MIUI\ROM.
- Boot your Mi Mix 2 into Fastboot mode:
- Power down the device.
- Press and hold the Volume Down and Power button altogether.
- Once your Mix 2 has entered Fastboot mode, connect it to the PC using the USB cable.
- Now, download and install the MiFlash tool on your PC.
- Once installed, run the tool.
- Click on the ‘refresh’ button to make sure that your Mi device is recognized.
- Next, click on the ‘select’ button and select the folder where the Fastboot ROM files were extracted. E.g. C:\MIUI\ROM.
- Once everything has been selected, select the ‘save user data’ option on the bottom of the MiFlash tool.
- Finally, click on ‘start’ to flash MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Mi Mix 2.
Once the ROM has been flashed, your Mi device will automatically reboot into the OS. You shall disconnect the device and close the MiFlash tool.
Method 3: Using TWRP Recovery
In case you have TWRP recovery installed, you can use it install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Mi Mix 2. However, your app and data will be wiped.
- Download the full ROM from the links above and transfer the ROM to the device’s internal storage.
- Reboot your device into TWRP recovery.
- Go to ‘Wipe’ -> ‘Advanced Wipe’ and select – Dalvik/ART Cache, System, Data, and Cache.
- Swipe the button to wipe the device.
- Go back to the main screen and select the ‘Install’ option.
- Browse the storage and select the full ROM zip package to install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Mi Mix 2.
- Finally, swipe the ‘Swipe to confirm Flash’ button.
Once the flashing process is complete, hit the ‘Reboot System’ button. When your phone boots, go through the initial setup and start using all the new features of MIUI 9.
If you have any problems installing MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Mi Mix 2, then leave a comment below.