MIUI 9 is now rolling out to the Redmi 4 and 4X. The update will be arriving on the said devices via OTA. Follow this guide to install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Redmi 4 and 4X right now.
It has been more than two weeks since the official announcement of MIUI 9 Stable ROM. Today, we will be bringing down your attention to the Redmi 4/4X, which was released earlier this year. Although several users over at the MIUI forums have reported of receiving the OTA notification, it is still time before the update rolls out worldwide. So, if you’re not so keen on waiting, you can use the instructions below to install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Redmi 4 and 4X.
- How to Install Xiaomi Mi 6 MIUI 9 Stable ROM
- Install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 4s (MIUI V22.214.171.124)
- Install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5, 5s, 5s Plus (MIUI V126.96.36.199)
- How to Install Redmi Note 4 MIUI 9 Stable ROM
MIUI 9 Stable ROM for Redmi 4/4X (MIUI V188.8.131.52)
The Redmi 4/4X is Xiaomi’s affordable smartphone that comes with a Snapdragon 435 Octa-core chipset, 5.0-inches IPS LCD display with Gorilla Glass technology, 13 MP primary camera, and more.
The latest MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Redmi 4/4X is labeled MIUI 184.108.40.206 NAMMIEI and is currently being rolled out worldwide. The latest version offers several new features and changes, of which a few major ones are listed below:
- Overall system optimizations for faster app loading.
- New icon animations for a better UX.
- Revamped notification panel and Quick Reply feature (Server-side rollout).
- Multi-window support for better multitasking experience.
- New MIUI Video app with support for multiple formats.
While these are only the highlights, the update includes a long list of new features and changes that emphasis on a much better user experience.
To check if you have received the OTA update, open the ‘Updater’ app from the Homescreen and tap on the ‘Check for updates’ button. If not, then you can use the steps laid in this guide to update and install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Redmi 4/4X right now.
- We strongly recommend that you take a full backup of your Redmi device before you move over to the instructions. You can follow our guide on how to backup Android devices.
- Charge your Redmi 4/4X to at least 50-60% battery level to avoid any disruptions during the update process.
Once you have achieved the above, move ahead and install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Redmi 4 and 4X.
Instructions to Install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Redmi 4/4X
Now, we have laid down different methods depending upon your device’s state. Carefully look at the pointers below and use the appropriate method accordingly.
- Previous MIUI V220.127.116.11 -> Use Method 1
- China ROM/Developer ROM/MIUI 9 Beta -> Use Method 2
- Custom ROM and TWRP -> Use Method 3
Method 1: Using Updater App
The easiest and most forward way to install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Redmi 4 and 4X is by manually updating using the Updater app.
- First of all, download the MIUI 9 recovery ROM from the ‘Downloads’ section above.
- Then, connect your Redmi device to the PC and enable File Transfer mode.
- Copy the recovery ROM package to an easily accessible location on the internal storage.
- Once the file has been copied, disconnect the device.
- Now, go to the homescreen and open the ‘Updater’ app from the ‘Tools’ folder.
- In the ‘Updater’ app, tap on the menu (3-dots) button on the top-right of the screen.
- A list of options shall appear on the screen. Select ‘Choose update package’.
- The file browser will open. Browse to the internal storage and select the recovery ROM file (e.g. miui_HM4XGlobal_V18.104.22.168.NAMMIEI_e07ff44454_7.1.zip).
- When the file has been selected, press ‘Ok’ when prompted to install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Redmi 4/4X.
Your device will reboot during the update process. Once done, you will be able to enjoy all the new features.
Method 2: Using MiFlash Tool
Using the Developer ROM/China ROM or the Beta version of MIUI 9? Then you can install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Redmi 4/4X by flashing the Fastboot ROM using the MiFlash tool. This process will wipe your device completely, including the storage, so make sure to take a backup first-hand.
- Download and install the MiFlash tool on your PC.
- Also, download the MIUI 9 Fastboot ROM from the ‘Downloads’ section above.
- Once the file has been downloaded, extract it to an easily accessible location on your PC (e.g. C:\MIUI\ROM).
- Now, boot your Redmi 4/4X into Fastboot Mode by following the steps below:
- Power off your phone completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Down + Power button simultaneously until you see the following screen.
- Once your device has booted into Fastboot mode, connect it to the PC using the USB cable.
- Launch the MiFlash tool on your PC. Click the ‘refresh’ button to make sure that your Redmi device is being correctly recognized.
- Then, click the ‘select’ button and select the folder where the Fastboot ROM files were extracted during step #3.
- When everything is done, click the ‘flash’ button to install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Redmi 4/4X.
- The flashing process will take a few minutes to complete.
Once it is, close the MiFlash window and disconnect the device. Your Redmi phone will boot into the updated MIUI 9 OS.
Method 3: Using TWRP Recovery
Now, if you have a custom ROM installed on your device, then you can simply install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Redmi 4/4X by flashing the recovery ROM using TWRP. The process is fairly easy and similar to that of installing a custom ROM. This method shall not wipe your internal storage.
- Download the MIUI 9 recovery ROM from the ‘Downloads’ section.
- Transfer the downloaded ROM zip file to the internal storage.
- Boot your Redmi device into TWRP Recovery Mode:
- Power off your phone completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Up + Power button until you see the Mi logo.
- As soon as the Mi logo appears, release the Power key and keep holding on to the Volume Up button.
- When your device enters TWRP, go to ‘Wipe’ -> ‘Advanced Wipe’ and select the following options.
- Swipe the button on the bottom to wipe the device.
- Now, go back to the TWRP main screen and select the ‘Install’ option.
- Browse through the internal storage and select the recovery ROM zip (miui_HM4XGlobal_V22.214.171.124.NAMMIEI_e07ff44454_7.1.zip).
- Finally, swipe the ‘Swipe to Confirm Flash’ button to install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Redmi 4/4X.
When the flashing process is complete, tap on the ‘Reboot System’ button. Once your phone boots, go through the initial setup and start using your device.
If you have any problems installing this update on your device, then kindly leave a comment below. You have successfully been able to install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Redmi 4 and 4X.