The stable version of MIUI 9 is now available for another device. You can follow this tutorial to easily install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 4s right now.
Today, we will be talking about the Xiaomi Mi 4s that was released last year. You might consider it as an old device, looking at the number of new smartphones the company released during this time. But the 4s is no less when it comes to the hardware. Though the phone comes with MIUI 7 out-of-the-box, it could now be updated to Nougat using MIUI 9. If you still haven’t got the update notification, you can use the instructions below to install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 4s.
MIUI 9 Stable ROM for Xiaomi Mi 4s (MIUI V126.96.36.199.NAJCNEI)
After three months of continuous beta testing, the final release of MIUI 9 was announced on 2 November 2017. The rollout was scheduled in phases and is already reaching out to several devices including Redmi Note 4, Mi 6, Mi 5, etc.
However, it might take some time before the update reaches the Mi 4s over-the-air. In such a case, you manually flash MIUI 9 and update your phone instantly. But before we even get to that, let us take a peek at the new features that this update will bring to your device.
- Bundled notifications and notification filters.
- Double-tap to switch to the last app.
- Multi-window/split-screen for easier multitasking.
- Smart app launcher and Assistant.
- Reduced app launch times and overall system optimizations.
These were some of the outlined features, but there’s a lot more than inside. Once you install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 4s, you will be able to enjoy all the stated features.
- Before you get to the instructions, make sure to take a complete backup of your Android device. You can follow our guide on how to backup Android phones.
- Charge your Mi 4s to at least a 50-60% battery level. This will prevent any disturbances during the update process.
Recovery ROM: miui_MI4s_V188.8.131.52.NAJCNEI_94dffb278e_7.0.zip
Instructions to Install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 4s
If your Mi device is running the previous V184.108.40.206 stable ROM, then you can simply follow method #1. In case you have a custom ROM/Developer ROM, then you may follow method #2 or #3.
Method 1: Using the Updater App
- Download the MIUI 9 Stable ROM for Xiaomi Mi 4s from the download section above.
- Once the ROM has been downloaded, connect your 4s to the PC.
- Now, transfer the full ROM zip package to the internal storage.
- Disconnect the device and open the ‘Updater’ app on your device.
- In the Updater app window, tap on the 3-dot overflow button on the top-right of the window.
- Then select ‘Choose update package’.
- The file selector will open up. Now, navigate the internal storage and select the full ROM (e.g. miui_MI4s_V220.127.116.11.NAJCNEI_94dffb278e_7.0.zip) file.
- Once the file is selected, tap on ‘OK’ to confirm the update process.
The Updater app will install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 4s. Once the process is complete, the device will reboot automatically. You can then start using the updated MIUI 9 OS without any data loss.
Method 2: Using MiFlash Tool
If your Mi device is running a custom ROM/Developer ROM, you can use the MiFlash tool and install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 4s. Installing through this method will wipe the phone completely, so make sure that you take a backup first-hand.
- Firstly, download and install the latest version of the MiFlash tool on your PC. Once installed, run the tool.
- Then download the fastboot ROM package from the Downloads section above.
- Once the file has been downloaded, extract it to an easily accessible location on your PC.
- Boot your Mi 4s into Fastboot mode using the following steps:
- Power down your device completely.
- Then, press and hold the Volume Down + Power button altogether until you see the Fastboot screen.
- Now while your device is in Fastboot mode, connect it to the PC using the USB cable.
- Everything would be ready and you can proceed to the MiFlash tool to install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 4s.
- Click the ‘refresh’ button, so that the tool recognizes your device.
- Then click on the ‘select’ button and select the folder where the fastboot ROM was extracted in step #3 (e.g. C:\MIUI\ROM).
- Finally, click on the ‘flash’ button.
- The flashing process will begin and install the ROM on your device.
When the ROM has been flashed, your device shall reboot automatically. Once the phone enters the OS, go through the on-screen instructions to set up your device.
Method 3: Using TWRP Recovery
If your Mi device has TWRP recovery installed, you can use it to flash the recovery full ROM.
- Start by downloading the full ROM zip from the Downloads section.
- Then connect your phone to the PC in file transfer mode (MTP).
- Copy the ROM file to the internal storage of the device.
- When the ROM has been transferred, disconnect the phone.
- Boot your Mi 4s into TWRP recovery using the following steps.
- Power off your device completely.
- Then, press and hold the Volume Up + Power button.
- As soon as the Mi logo appears on the screen, release the Power button and keep holding the Volume Up button until you see TWRP recovery mode.
- When your phone enters TWRP, go to ‘Wipe’ -> ‘Advanced Wipe’.
- Select the following options:
- Finally, swipe the button on the bottom to wipe your phone.
- Go back to the TWRP main screen and tap on ‘Install’.
- Navigate to the internal storage and select the full ROM zip (e.g.miui_MI4s_V18.104.22.168.NAJCNEI_94dffb278e_7.0.zip).
- Finally, swipe the ‘Swipe to confirm Flash’ button to install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 4s.
Once the flashing process is complete, tap the ‘Reboot System’ button. When your device reboots, go through the on-screen instructions. After that, you will be able to enjoy the MIUI 9 features on your device.
There you go! You have just been able to install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 4s. If you have any doubts regarding the installation process, leave a comment below.