MIUI 9 is rolling out to another bunch of Mi smartphones. Follow this guide to install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5, 5s, 5s Plus right now.
The all-new MIUI version has been in testing for a few months and the company recently announced the stable release of the same. The first batch of the update, mentioned on the official forums, was scheduled to reach the devices including Redmi Note 4 and Mi Max 2. The second wave was meant for the other major devices including the Xiaomi Mi 5 series. Users have already reported receiving the OTA notification. However, not everybody has got it yet. So, if you’re not willing to wait, you can still install MIUI V126.96.36.199 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5 series devices.
- How to Install Redmi Note 4 MIUI 9 Stable ROM
- How to Install Xiaomi Mi 6 MIUI 9 Stable ROM
- Download MIUI 9 Beta ROM for Xiaomi Devices
- How To Install MIUI 9 on Redmi Note 3
MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5, 5s, 5s Plus
Some of the outlined features of MIUI 9 include:
- Revamped Notification Panel with bundled notifications and quick reply
- Mi Video app with support for multiple file formats
- Split-screen or Multi-window support
- Card-style Calendar app
- Image Search
- Series of system optimizations for better performance and app handling
MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5, 5s and 5s Plus is labeled V188.8.131.52 (NAAMIEI). The update has already started to roll out over-the-air. You can check it by opening the Updater app on your device and pressing the ‘Check for updates’ button.
However, not everyone has received the OTA notification yet. So, we have decided to put together a couple of steps to easily install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5, 5s, and 5s Plus.
Flashing the ROM using method #2 will wipe the entire device including internal storage. However, using method #3, you will only lose the apps and related data. So, we strongly recommend that you take a full backup of your Mi device. You may follow our guide on how to backup Android devices.
Also, make sure to charge your Mi 5 device to at least 50-60% battery level to avoid any shutdowns during the updating/flashing process.
Instructions to Install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5, 5s, 5s Plus
The methods include flashing the full ROM using the Updater app, for those running a previous Stable release. Users who are running a custom ROM, or have rooted devices could easily opt for Fastboot and TWRP methods laid down.
Method #1: Using Updater App
This method will only work if you have a previous MIUI stable version installed on the device. If you have a developer version, custom ROM, or TWRP installed then look forward to the methods below this one.
- Start by downloading the MIUI 9 Stable ROM for Mi 5, 5s, and 5s Plus:
- Connect your Mi device to the PC and transfer the recovery ROM package to the internal storage.
- Open the ‘Updater’ app from your device’s homescreen.
- When the Updater app opens up, tap on the 3-dot overflow button on the top-right to open the menu.
- Then select the ‘Choose update package’ option.
- Now, browse through the internal storage and select the recovery ROM zip file (e.g. miui_MI5Global_V184.108.40.206.NAAMIEI_c91be5fdc5_7.0.zip).
- Once selected press on ‘Ok’ to start the process and install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5, 5s, and 5s Plus.
When the installation process is complete, the device will automatically reboot into the update MIUI 9 OS.
Method #2: Using MiFlash Tool
Now, if your Mi 5 device is running on Global/Developer/China ROM, then you can use this method to install the update using MiFlash tool. Before you head to the instructions to install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5 devices, make sure to download and install the MiFlash tool on your PC.
- Download the Fastboot ROM zip for your device:
- Boot your Mi 5 device into Fastboot mode:
- Power off your phone completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Down + Power button simultaneously to boot into Fastboot mode.
- Now, connect your Mi 5 to the PC and launch the MiFlash tool.
- Click the ‘refresh’ button in the MiFlash window to make sure that the device is being recognized properly.
- Extract the downloaded Fastboot ROM (.tgz) file to an easily accessible location on your PC.
- In the MiFlash window, click on the ‘select’ button and select the folder where the files have been extracted. For example, we have extracted our ROM to C:\MIUI\ROM.
- Now, click the ‘flash’ button to install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5/5s/5s Plus.
- The flashing process should be complete in a few minutes. During this time, make sure to leave the PC and the device undisturbed to avoid any problems.
Once done, the device will automatically reboot. You can disconnect the phone now and close the MiFlash tool. Now, go through the on-screen instructions to set up the device.
Method #3: Using TWRP Recovery
If your Mi device has TWRP recovery installed on it, you can simply use it to flash the Recovery ROM zip to install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5, 5s and 5s Plus.
- Download the Recovery ROM zip for your device (listed in Method #1).
- Connect your Mi 5 device to the PC and copy the file to the internal storage.
- Disconnect the device and power it off.
- Now, boot into TWRP recovery:
- Press and hold the Volume Up + Power button until you see the Mi logo on the screen.
- Then, release the Power button and keep on holding the Volume key until you see TWRP recovery mode.
- Once in TWRP, go to ‘Wipe’ -> ‘Advanced Wipe’ and select the following options:
- Dalvik / ART Cache
- Now, swipe the ‘Swipe to Wipe’ button to erase the current ROM.
- Go back to the TWRP main-screen and press the ‘Install’ button.
- Browse the storage and select the Recovery ROM zip (e.g. miui_MI5SGlobal_V220.127.116.11.NAGMIEI_3e22d133b8_7.0.zip).
- Swipe the ‘Swipe to confirm Flash’ button to install MIUI 9 Stable ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5/5s/5s Plus.
Once the flashing process is complete, tap the ‘Reboot System’ button.
Your Mi phone will now boot into the updated MIUI 9 firmware. Go through the initial setup and enjoy the new features on your device now. If you have any problems installing the ROM, kindly reach back to us through the comments.