The first ever Android Oreo 8.0/8.1 ROM is now available for OnePlus’ latest flagship through OmniROM. In this guide, we will go through the process to install OmniROM on OnePlus 5T.
OnePlus practically ruled the Android smartphone market when it announced the OnePlus 5T. With the latest design standards and powerful hardware, the phone is all ready to stand against any other OEM flagship, given the price point. On the software end, the device is still stuck with Android Nougat-based OxygenOS, officially. There is still some time before the OEM introduces Android Oreo for the device. However, if you want to experience Android Oreo, then follow the steps below to install OmniROM on OnePlus 5T.
- How to Disable Persistent Notifications in Android 8.1 Oreo
- Restore OnePlus 5T to Stock Firmware and Relock Bootloader
- Download OnePlus 5T Star Wars Edition Wallpapers
- Install Android 8.1 Oreo on Moto G3 2015 (Pixel Experience ROM)
- Install OxygenOS 4.7.4 Update on OnePlus 5T (Full ROM and OTA)
Download and Install OmniROM on OnePlus 5T
Custom ROMs are an integral part of the developer community at XDA-Developers. These third-party firmwares provide an extended experience to the users and help them get the best from their devices. All these ROMs differ from each other in terms of their purpose. A few like LineageOS focus on intensive features and performance. While those like ParanoidAndroid and OmniROM are meant for extreme stability, along with a few added features.
The 5T has marked itself to be the fastest Android device to receive support for TWRP. But even then it wasn’t much of significance when you don’t have many chances to use it, except for rooting and installing mods like ViPER4Android.
Today, the users have got the chance to put TWRP into use and install OmniROM on OnePlus 5T. Up until now, only the Nexus and Pixel devices have had the privilege to enjoy Android 8.1 Oreo. But you can now experience the latest Android version on your OnePlus 5T too.
XDA Senior Member – darkobas has taken the time to compile OmniROM from the official sources. The team is already working out the code based on the “android-8.1.0_r1” tree. It seems like the developers will officially add support of for the OnePlus 5T, but there is still time before the ROM is available officially.
Thanks to the developer you can now install Android 8.1 Oreo on OnePlus 5T using the ROM. Before you head to the instructions, take a note of the features that are not functioning properly at the moment.
- Speakerphone volume adjustment
- HFR (Slow-motion) and HSR (High-speed) video recording
Apart from the ones mentioned above, everything else works as it should. Which means, you can still use this ROM on your device as a daily driver, if you can overlook the stated bugs. Of course, in coming time, the bugs will be squashed.
Make sure to fulfill all the requirements before you install OmniROM on OnePlus 5T.
- Installing the ROM will wipe the apps and related data. So make sure to take a complete backup of your phone before you move ahead. You can follow our guide on how to backup OnePlus devices.
- Charge your device to at least 50-60% battery level.
- You must unlock bootloader on OnePlus 5T first.
- Also, install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 5T.
Download OmniROM for OnePlus 5T
- Android 8.0 Oreo: omni-8.0.0-20171207-oneplus5t-HOMEMADE.zip
- Android 8.1 Oreo: omni-8.1.0-20171217-oneplus5t-HOMEMADE.zip | Mirror
- GApps: OpenGapps.org
How to Install OmniROM on OnePlus 5T (Android Oreo 8.0/8.1)
- Download the ROM and GApps zip packages from the links above. Make sure that you download the GApps corresponding to the Android version.
- Connect your OnePlus 5T to the PC and enable ‘File Transfer’ mode.
- Copy the ROM and GApps zip files to the internal storage.
- Disconnect the phone and power it off.
- Boot into TWRP recovery mode – Press and hold the Volume Down + Power button until the OnePlus logo appears.
- In TWRP, go to ‘Wipe’ » ‘Advanced Wipe’. Select the following check boxes.
- Swipe the ‘Swipe to Wipe’ button.
- When the wiping process is complete, go back to the TWRP main screen.
- Tap on the ‘Install’ tab. Navigate to the storage where you have transferred the files earlier.
- Select the ROM zip (e.g. omni-8.1.0-20171217-oneplus5t-HOMEMADE.zip).
- Once the file is selected, tap on the ‘Add more Zips’ button and select the GApps zip.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to install OmniROM on OnePlus 5T.
When the flashing process is complete, hit the ‘Reboot System’ button. Your device will reboot into Android Oreo-based OmniROM.
If you have any questions regarding the installation process, you can simply ask us by commenting below.