Have you updated your OnePlus device to the latest Open Beta yet? If not, then follow this guide to manually install OnePlus 5 Open Beta 7 update right now.
OnePlus has recently been very active in terms of software development. The company is making sure that the demands of the users are met before they even get stale. One such request from the users included the arrival of the latest Android version before it crosses the trend. Not just a trend, the latest software assures that an Android device gets the latest features and also meets the security perspective at the same time. Today, OnePlus announced the release of another OxygenOS Open Beta software for both the OnePlus 5 and 5T. The new update moves a step closer before the OEM can roll out the stable OOS version to the general public. If you wish to test it, then the instructions below will help you install OnePlus 5 Open Beta 7 update.
- Install OnePlus 5T Open Beta 5 Update (Android 8.1 Oreo)
- How to Enable Face Unlock on OnePlus 5, OnePlus 3 and 3T
- How to Downgrade OnePlus 5 Android Oreo to Nougat (OxygenOS)
Table of Contents
Guide to Install OnePlus 5 Open Beta 7 Update
The announcement for both the OnePlus 5T and 5 was made at the OnePlus community. The changelog for both the devices is identical to-the-dot. Which means users on both the ends will get to enjoy the same features. Anyhow, the OTA rollout has begun already and will be reaching out to users who are already on the Open Beta channel. If you’re using the stable version of OxygenOS and want to shift to the Beta channel, you can do so easily by following the steps below.
Even before you get there and install OnePlus 5 Open Beta 7 update, let us quickly sweep through the changes and new features that you would observe. Of course, the major highlight over everything else is that OxygenOS Open Beta 7 for OnePlus 5 is based on Android 8.1 Oreo.
According to the official release notes, following is the changelog:
- Added recent search tag in search app section of the OnePlus launcher.
- Improved accuracy of the current location in Weather app.
- Added new icons and updated UI of Weather app.
- New network boost in Gaming mode – network priority for gaming App in the foreground
- General bug fixes and improvements
There aren’t any major new additions to the build. However, there is something unique that users have come across. The software sports a new ‘Earphone Mode’ settings that serve various functions while the earphones are plugged in. To start with, there is an option known as ‘Auto Play’ which when turned ON will instantly resume music playback. Another option that would come in handy is the ability to change the ringtone/notification behavior when the earphones are connected.
That’s all for now! Proceed ahead to the instructions and install OnePlus 5 Open Beta 7 update right now. Before you do that, check if your device with the previous beta build has received the OTA notification. Simply go to ‘Settings‘ -> ‘System updates‘.
- It is strongly advised to take a complete backup of your device first-hand. Manually updating could often lead to data loss if not performed correctly. We suggest you follow our guide on how to backup Android.
- Make sure to charge your OnePlus 5 to at least 50-60% battery level. This will prevent the phone from shutting down during the update process.
- Install OnePlus USB drivers on your Windows or macOS PC.
Make sure that you fulfill all the requirements as stated above. Once done, head down to the detailed instructions and install OnePlus 5 Open Beta 7 update.
Download OxygenOS Open Beta 7 for OnePlus 5 (Full ROM + OTA)
OTA (Open Beta 6 -> Open Beta 7):
Instructions to Install OnePlus 5 Open Beta 7 Update (Android 8.1 Oreo)
We have covered two different methods to help you install OxygenOS Open Beta 7 on OnePlus 5. The method you choose depends upon your device’s current situations. Method 1 is for users with stock unrooted OxygenOS firmware. Those with root or TWRP recovery can follow method 2.
Method 1: Install using Local Upgrade
- Download Open Beta 7 full ROM or OTA ZIP.
- Then follow our step-by-step guide on how to install OxygenOS on OnePlus 5 using Local Upgrade.
- Once you have updated, it is strongly advised to boot into stock recovery and clear the cache. This will eliminate any chances of post-update issues.
- So, boot OnePlus 5 stock recovery.
- Once in stock recovery, go to ‘Wipe data and cache‘ menu.
- Select ‘Wipe cache‘ option and tap on ‘Ok‘.
- Finally, reboot your phone back into the OS.
The next set of instructions are for those who have rooted their device or have TWRP installed. So just follow the steps below to install OnePlus 5 Open Beta 7 update using TWRP.
Method 2: Install using TWRP Recovery
- Download OxygenOS Open Beta 7 full ROM ZIP.
- Connect your phone to the PC and transfer the file to the phone’s storage.
- Disconnect the device and power it off.
- Next, boot OnePlus 5 TWRP recovery mode.
- [Optional] If using a custom ROM, go to ‘Wipe‘ -> ‘Advanced Wipe‘. Select the following partitions and swipe the button.
- Go back to the TWRP main screen.
- Press the ‘Install‘ button.
- Browse the internal storage and select the OxygenOS Open Beta 7 full ROM ZIP file.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to install OnePlus 5 Open Beta 7 update.
- Press ‘Reboot System‘.
It seems like OnePlus is walking in quickly towards the final release. Up until now, only Essential has been able to push Android 8.1 Oreo to the PH-1. The OnePlus 5/5T should soon be getting the stable OxygenOS pretty soon. Once your device boots, you may go ahead and try some of the latest features including the new Earphone Mode settings, Network Boost in Gaming Mode and more. If you further wish to root, then follow our extensive guide on how to root OnePlus 5 on Android 8.1 Oreo.
Following this guide, you should be able to manually install OnePlus 5 Open Beta 7 update. For any questions regarding the update procedure, leave a comment below.