Surprisingly, OnePlus has fulfilled the commitment they made earlier about bringing Android Nougat to OnePlus 3. OxygenOS 4.0, based on Nougat has been released for the device.
OnePlus’ backtrack has not been pleasant when it comes to updates. The OEM has unfortunately failed several times keeping its promises, ever since the OnePlus One. Anyways, the company has started to up their game and make up for their mistakes by concentrating on their latest flagship – OnePlus 3.
After a series of Open-Beta releases, the stable version of OOS 4.0 has landed. The Open Beta concept was an efficient way of bringing early releases of latest software to its users, for testing and feedback. This, in turn, helps the developers to cough-out the bugs at a much faster pace.
Update & Changes
OxygenOS 4.0 update for the OnePlus 3, brings all the major features from Nougat 7.0 to your device, along with a list of bug fixes. The list of changes as quoted by the developers is below.
- Upgraded to Android 7.0 Nougat
- New Notifications Design
- New Settings Menu Design
- Multi-Window View
- Notification Direct Reply
- Custom DPI Support
- Added Status Bar Icon Options
- Improved Shelf Customization
The above list is just an overview of all the major additions to the update.
Before You Begin
It is highly advised that you backup your device completely, so in case anything goes wrong, you will have the chance to restore. Also, charge your device to at least 60% battery level, so that the process goes through uninterrupted and there’s a less chance for a brick.
Install OxygenOS 4.0 on OnePlus 3
Now over to the installation process. The most convenient way to update is through Over-The-Air. Note that OTA update, if it still hasn’t reached you, could take some time. But, if you’re a power user and have the courage to update manually, then below are the steps for you.
The instructions below are meant for a clean install, which means you will lose all the data on your device. However, you can still make a dirty flash from Open Beta 10 to OOS 4.0 if you wish to.
We appreciate XDA member ansaziz777 for retrieving the full ROM zip and mirroring it.
- To start, download the full ROM zip for OxygenOS 4.0: Link
- Connect your OnePlus 3 to the PC in MTP mode.
- Transfer the ROM zip to the internal storage.
- Disconnect the device and power it off.
- Press and hold the volume down and power keys to reboot into recovery mode.
- Select your language as “English”.
- Now, wipe your device clean by selecting “Wipe data and cache”. Tap on “Yes” when prompted.
- Once the wiping is done, tap on “Install from local”. Browse your device’s internal storage and select the ROM zip file.
- Wait for the installation to complete and do not switch off your phone.
- At last, go to the recovery home and select “Reboot”.
Are you facing any issues in the final release too? OnePlus would love to have your feedback here. If you have problems installing, drop a comment below.
Do share this article on your social media and let others know about this fresh new update.