Good news for the OnePlus 3 and 3T users! Android Oreo is now official for both the devices. You can now install OxygenOS Open Beta 25/16 on OnePlus 3 and 3T respectively and enjoy the sweet taste of Oreo officially.
Android Oreo update for the OnePlus 3 and 3T was rumoured to be in closed testing phase, limited only to the appointed testers. It seems like the initial testing has gone through its phase and finally, OxygenOS Open Beta 25/16 based on Oreo is finally available for the public. Since this is a Beta update, it means that there could be possible issues. But rest assured, it is completely stable for daily usage.
- How to Disable OnePlus Device Manager and Stop Data Mining
- Download OnePlus 5 JCC Limited Edition Wallpapers
- Install OxygenOS 4.5.11 Update on OnePlus 5 (4.5.12 Released)
- Install HydrogenOS 3.5 Update on OnePlus 3 and 3T
- How to Decrypt OnePlus 5 and Disable Forced-Encryption
OxygenOS Open Beta 25/16 Update Based on Android Oreo
We have previously tried to install Android Oreo on OnePlus 3T using an H20S-leaked firmware. But there’s no more need of that as of today.
The OxygenOS Open Beta 25/16 update was announced today very recently at the OnePlus community. The aim of this update is to bring Android Oreo to the OnePlus 3 and 3T devices. Since the OnePlus 5 is the latest flagship from the OEM, it can be concluded that the update for it could be released anytime soon.
The changelog as mentioned on the official community is mentioned below.
- Update to Android O (8.0)
- Picture in Picture
- Auto-fill service: Read more
- Added Smart text selection
- New Quick Settings design
- September security patch
- Added Notification dots in Launcher
- Added OnePlus account login for access to Shot on OnePlus
- Now able to upload photos directly to Shot on OnePlus through wallpapers
There’s also a list of known issues that you must take note of before you install OxygenOS Open Beta 25/16 on your OnePlus devices.
- Fingerprint actions may be slower than you are used to.
- Shortcut to access Google Photos is unavailable
- Some stability issues with NFC and bluetooth
- Performance and compatibility of 3rd party apps will continue to be optimized
Apart from the issues mentioned above, everything else works flawlessly. If you do find additional bugs, kindly report them here.
A Few Notes
- If you’re already running the previous Open Beta 24/15 on your respective devices, then you shall get an OTA update. However, it might take some time before the update rolls out worldwide.
- If you do not have Beta ROM installed, you can still update and install OxygenOS Open Beta 25/16 by flashing the full ROM. For which, the instructions are below.
- After you install this Open Beta update, you can revert back to latest stable ROM. But the procedure will wipe your device storage completely.
Install OxygenOS Open Beta 25/16 Update on OnePlus 3 and 3T
The most direct and convenient way to install OxygenOS Open Beta 25/16 is through over-the-air (OTA) update. To check if your device has yet received the update, go to Settings > System updates and press the “CHECK FOR UPDATE” button.
In case the OTA hasn’t reached your device yet for any reason, you can follow the steps below to manually install OxygenOS Open Beta 25/16 on your OnePlus 3 and 3T. The instructions are separate for both rooted and non-rooted users.
It is best that you first take a complete backup of your OnePlus device. In case anything goes wrong, then you shall easily revert back to a stable state on your device.
OnePlus 3 OxygenOS Open Beta 25: Full ROM | OTA (Will be updated when available)
OnePlus 3T OxygenOS Open Beta 16: Full ROM | OTA (Will be updated when available)
Option 1: Non-rooted Users
If you have a non-rooted device, you can easily install OxygenOS Open Beta 25/16 by manually updating the OTA zip.
- Download the OTA zip for your device from above.
- Connect your OnePlus device to the PC in MTP/File transfer mode.
- Now copy the OTA zip file to the root of the internal storage (e.g. )
- Once the file has been transferred, disconnect the phone.
- Now, go to Settings > System update and press the gear icon on the top-right.
- Select the “Local upgrade” option.
- The system will automatically fetch the OTA zip from the storage. Just tap on it.
- Finally, select the “UPGRADE NOW” option when prompted to install OxygenOS Open Beta 25/16.
The update process will begin and during this process, your device may restart. So, make sure to be patient and let it do its job.
Option 2: Stable/HydrogenOS/Custom ROM/Rooted Users
Unfortunately, for you, the above process wouldn’t work. You will need to flash the full ROM to install OxygenOS Open Beta 25/16 on your device. Flashing the full ROM will completely erase all the apps and data.
- Download the Open Beta full ROM file for your OnePlus device.
- Connect your phone to the PC and copy the full ROM zip to the device’s storage (e.g. OnePlus3TOxygen_28_OTA_035_all_1710131617_25dd46926af44c2d.zip).
- Once the file has been copied, disconnect your device and power it off.
- Now boot into recovery mode on your OnePlus device. Just press and hold the Volume Down and Power keys altogether until you see the recovery screen.
- Now follow step #6 if you have stock recovery or step #7 if your device has TWRP recovery.
- Install OxygenOS Open Beta 25/16 using Stock/Oxygen recovery:
- Select “English” as language.
- Go to Wipe data and cache and select Reset system setting.
- Confirm by selecting Yes.
- Go back to the main recovery screen and tap on “Install from internal storage”.
- Browse the storage and select the full ROM zip (e.g. OnePlus3TOxygen_28_OTA_035_all_1710131617_25dd46926af44c2d.zip) file.
- Finally, select “Yes” when prompted for confirmation.
- When the update has been installed, tap on “Reboot”.
- Install OxygenOS Open Beta 25/16 using TWRP Recovery:
- Press on the “Wipe” button.
- Now, slide the “Swipe to Factory Reset” button on the bottom of the screen.
- Go back to the main TWRP screen and select the “Install” tab.
- Navigate through the storage and select the full ROM zip file.
- Once the file has been selected, swipe the button on the bottom of the screen to install OxygenOS Open Beta 25/16 full ROM zip.
- Finally, press “Reboot System” to reboot your device into the updated system.
Once the update process has completed, you have succeeded to install OxygenOS Open Beta 25/16 on OnePlus 3 and 3T. Go on and enjoy all the new Oreo features on your OnePlus device officially.
If you have any problems during or after performing this update procedure, let us know through the comments.