A new Open Beta build is now available for the OnePlus 3 and 3T, which brings the latest security patches and improvements. This tutorial will help you download and install OxygenOS Open Beta 34/25 on OnePlus 3/3T respectively.
OnePlus may not be one of the large-scale Android manufacturers. But it still gets counted among them, due to some major reasons. For instance, the devices offered by the OnePlus are best known for packing a powerful hardware inside a refreshing premium design. The next most influential part is the software, which gets updated to the latest version on regular basis. The 2016-released OnePlus 3 and 3T are now receiving the latest Open Beta software over-the-air. It brings numerous changes and improvements to the devices, including April 2018 security patch. If your phone is running the previous Open Beta and hasn’t received the OTA notification, then follow the steps below to download OxygenOS Open Beta 34/25 for OnePlus 3/3T and install it manually.
Guide to Install OxygenOS Open Beta 34/25 on OnePlus 3/3T
The official announcement was made yesterday at the OnePlus community page. According to which the Open Beta build will update the said devices with the latest security patches. So before you go ahead and install OxygenOS Open Beta 34/25 on OnePlus 3 and 3T, go through the complete changelog listed below.
- April 2018 Security Patches
- New alarm background color and other UI changes in the Clock app
- New UI in Stopwatch
- Ability to scan subscription or membership cards with QR codes in Shelf
The change count isn’t big in numbers, but it surely brings some important improvements to the overall software experience.
While users seem to be very excited about the new software, it is quite disappointing to see that those with the stable version are still stuck with OOS 5.0.1 with outdated December 2017 security update. If you are deliberate to update your phone with the latest features and security fixes, I’d say this is the best time to shift to the Beta channel. The instructions below will help you manually install OxygenOS Open Beta 34/25 on OnePlus 3/3T.
For those running the previous Open Beta build, make sure to go to Settings -> System Update and check for the OTA notification.
- Manually flashing software may result in data loss if done wrong. We strongly suggest that you take a complete backup of the data. You can follow our guide on how to backup Android phones.
- Charge your OnePlus phone to at least 50-60% battery level. This will help prevent any sudden shutdowns during the update process.
- Download OnePlus USB drivers and install them on your PC.
Once you have fulfilled the requirements, go ahead and install OnePlus 5T OxygenOS Open Beta 4 update based on Android 8.1 Oreo.
Download OxygenOS Open Beta 34/25 for OnePlus 3/3T
OnePlus 3 OxygenOS Open Beta 34:
OnePlus 3T OxygenOS Open Beta 25:
Instructions to Install OxygenOS Open Beta 34/25 on OnePlus 3/3T
Now, there are two methods to choose from. Method 1 is meant for users running OOS firmware with stock recovery. Rooted/TWRP users can follow method 2.
Method 1: Flash OxygenOS Open Beta using Local Upgrade
- Download Open Beta full ROM ZIP.
- Transfer the file to the phone’s internal storage.
- Go to ‘Settings’ > ‘System updates’.
- Tap on the menu icon (gear icon) on top-right.
- Choose ‘Local upgrade’.
- Select the Open Beta ZIP file.
- Finally, tap on ‘Ok’ to install OxygenOS Open Beta 34/25 on OnePlus 3/3T.
Your device will reboot and install the update automatically. For detailed instructions, you can also follow our guide on how to install OxygenOS Full ROM. After the installation is complete, it is advised to perform a cache wipe via the stock recovery. This shall prevent any unusual bugs from appearing after the update.
Method 2: Flash OxygenOS Open Beta using TWRP Recovery
- Download Open Beta full ROM ZIP.
- Transfer the ZIP file to the phone’s storage.
- Power off the phone.
- Hold the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously to enter TWRP recovery.
- If you have a custom ROM installed, go to ‘Wipe’ > ‘Advanced Wipe’ and select the following partitions:
- Swipe the ‘Swipe to Wipe’ button.
- Go back to the main screen and tap on ‘Install’.
- Select the OOS full ROM ZIP file.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to install OxygenOS Open Beta 34/25 on OnePlus 3/3T.
- Once complete, tap on ‘Reboot System’.
After the booting process is complete, your device shall be running the latest beta software with April 2018 security patch. We are expecting the devices to be updated to Android 8.1 Oreo, but it seems like that didn’t happen yet. OnePlus has already announced Android 8.1 beta for the OnePlus 5/5T. Anyhow, it is still better to have an updated OS with latest security fixes than nothing at all.
On the other hand, the company is all set to announce its latest flagship for 2018 – OnePlus 6. Online speculations have already started regulating, confirming the specs and designs of the upcoming device. It would be interesting to see how the new phone plays out for the OEM.
So this was our guide on how to install OxygenOS Open Beta 34/25 on OnePlus 3/3T. If you have any questions regarding the procedure, feel free to leave a comment in the section below.