Follow this guide to install Redmi Note 4 LineageOS 15.1 ROM with full Project Treble support.
Xiaomi’s record-breaking device – the Redmi Note 4 is finally getting some serious development support via third-party developers. And why shouldn’t it? The device is nicely spec’d, easily affordable, and is also the highest selling smartphone by Xiaomi. Since its release last year, the device has seen several MIUI updates. But that’s not it, it seems like third-party developers at XDA forums are now actively participating in bringing good things to the phone. We recently saw Franco Kernel support for it. And this time, you are in for a treat with full Project Treble support. So go ahead and follow the steps to install Redmi Note 4 LineageOS 15.1 ROM right now.
Redmi Note 4 LineageOS 15.1 ROM with Project Treble Support
Android Oreo introduced Project Treble to represent a major re-architecture of the Android Framework. It has been introduced to facilitate easier and faster OS updates for Android devices. Google has been able to modularize the OS, by drawing a line between silicon/OEM code and the normal Android Framework. As a general rule of thumb, all devices shipping with Oreo out-of-the-box must support Project Treble. It not only affects the official firmware updates but also has a drastic effect on the custom ROM development scene. With added support, Treble-enabled devices will be eligible to install a generic ROM without having to wait for the OEM/Silicon manufacturer to update the dedicated drivers.
Now before you install Redmi Note 4 LineageOS 15.1 ROM, let us talk a bit more about how XDA senior member – abhishek987 was actually able to achieve this. According to XDA, the developer converted the unused ‘CUST’ partition to ‘Vendor’, which is approximately 830 MB in size. The partition originally contained stuff related to MIUI. But it had no significance on the AOSP-based build. With some help from phhusson, the lead developer of the phh-Treble project, abhishek987 was finally able to boot the ROM.
The ROM developer has revised the files required for flashing this new build. The changelog for Redmi Note 4 LineageOS 15.1 ROM with Treble support, is as follows:
- Updated to Android 8.1 Oreo
- Updated to oreo Tissot Blobs
- Rebased kernel to support new (goodix touch , ov camera, and displays)
- Fixed OmniVision camera pink tint and crash in bright light photos
- Add TextClassifier Selection models
- Implemented full treble
So now that you know all about the new ROM, let us hop on to the instructions and install Redmi Note 4 LineageOS 15.1 ROM.
- Flashing a custom ROM requires your phone’s bootloader to be unlocked. If you haven’t done it yet, then follow this guide to unlock bootloader on Redmi Note 4.
- Take a complete backup of your phone and the personal data. You can follow our tutorial on how to backup Android devices.
- Charge your device to at least 50-60% battery level.
- Install ADB/Fastboot tools on your PC. You will need this to flash the modified TWRP recovery.
Download LineageOS 15.1 ROM for Redmi Note 4
Modified Magisk: Magisk-v16.0-custom.zip
Steps to Install Redmi Note 4 LineageOS 15.1 ROM (Android 8.1 Oreo)
- Download the ROM and GApps zip files from above and copy them to your phone’s storage.
- Boot your Redmi Note 4 into Fastboot mode by holding down the Volume Down + Power button simultaneously.
- Download the modified TWRP recovery: twrp-3.2.1-mido-vendor-v4 .img (Mirror Link)
- Copy the downloaded file to C:\adb, where the ADB/Fastboot files are present.
- Hold down the SHIFT key on the keyboard and right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
- Select “Open PowerShell window here”.
- Flash the TWRP recovery using the following command:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.1-mido-vendor-v4.img
- Once the recovery has been flashed, power down your phone.
- Press and hold the Volume Up + Power button to enter TWRP.
- Go to “Wipe” -> “Advanced Wipe” and wipe the System, Data, and Cache partitions.
- Tap on the ‘Install” menu.
- Navigate to the internal storage and select the ROM “lineage-15.1-20180324-UNOFFICIAL-mido.zip” file.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to install Redmi Note 4 LineageOS 15.1 ROM.
- Repeat from step 10 to flash the GApps and Magisk root zip.
- Once complete, hit the “Reboot System” button.
Your Redmi Note 4 will boot into Android 8.1 Oreo ROM with full Project Treble support. The ROM developer has also stated that the source code will be published soon on Github so that others can use to enable Treble as well. So go ahead and enjoy the awesome new Oreo features like Autofill Framework, Notification channels, Picture-in-Picture mode, and more.
Now that your phone supports Project Treble, unofficially, you can go ahead and also try installing a Generic System Image on your phone. So you have just been able to install Redmi Note 4 LineageOS 15.1 ROM with Project Treble support. If you have any questions, leave them down in the comments below.