Xiaomi has announced a new update for the Mi A1 with the latest March 2018 security patches and bug fixes. Follow this guide to install Xiaomi Mi A1 March Update 9.5.9 based on Android 8.0 Oreo.
While many other OEMs are still on their way to release final Oreo update for their flagship devices, Xiaomi is finally keeping up with its words. The real benefit of using an Android One-powered device is latest software updates. Mix it with the best in-budget hardware and you have the Xiaomi Mi A1. Undoubtedly it the first device that has properly been able to comply with the Android One ground rules. The first stable release followed up on January 1st. Post that, the update was even called off due to certain bugs. Later, a new update was pushed to the device. And now finally with the beginning of the second month of 2018, Xiaomi is pushing another OTA to the users. Below, we will discuss more details and how you can install Xiaomi Mi A1 March update right now.
- Enable Camera2API and EIS on Xiaomi Mi A1 without Root
- Fix Xiaomi Mi A1 Slow Motion Video Recording [Magisk Module]
- How to Install LineageOS 15.1 On Xiaomi Mi A1 (Android 8.1 Oreo)
Guide to Manually Install Xiaomi Mi A1 March Update (v184.108.40.206.ODHMIFA)
The OEM has proved its consistency with software updates for the Android One-powered Mi A1. The new build solely focuses on improving the overall performance and stability of the device. Along with that, users are also benefitted with the latest Match 2018 security patches. It fixes various low to critical level vulnerabilities across the operating system. The OTA itself is approximately 440 MB, which means there’s a lot that will be changed and fixed internally. The new firmware is labeled v220.127.116.11.ODHMIFA. and is based on Android 8.0 Oreo.
The new update suddenly started showing up for a few users initially. And it shall be available for everyone in the coming days or weeks. Well, if you’re not much of the waiting kind, you can follow the steps below to manually install Xiaomi Mi A1 March update 9.5.9 using the steps below.
Our appreciations to XDA senior member Displax for sharing the update files publically. Note that the methods below are for devices with unlocked bootloader and/or TWRP recovery installed. Before you choose to follow the instructions, make sure to go to ‘Settings‘ -> ‘System‘ -> ‘System update‘ and check for the OTA notification.
Make sure to fulfill the requirements, before you follow the instructions to install Xiaomi Mi A1 March update 9.5.9.
- If you wish to choose method 2, your device must have the latest TWRP recovery for Mi A1.
- Take a complete backup of your phone to avoid any data loss situation during the update process. You may follow our guide on how to backup Android.
- Charge your Mi A1 to 50-60% battery level to avoid any shutdowns during the process.
Instructions to Install Xiaomi Mi A1 March Update 9.5.9
You now have two options to install this new firmware. You can either use the fastboot ROM or flash it using TWRP recovery. So, you can choose any method.
Method 1: Flash Fastboot Image using Mi Flash Tool
- First, download Mi A1 March update fastboot ROM:
- Extract the downloaded ROM ZIP on your PC.
- Power off your Mi A1.
- Hold the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously to boot into Fastboot mode.
- Connect your device to the PC.
- Finally, follow our guide on how to install MIUI Fastboot ROM using Mi Flash Tool.
- Once the process is complete, your device will automatically reboot.
Method 2: Install using TWRP Recovery
- Download Mi A1 March update TWRP flashable ROM:
- tissot-T-OPR1.170623.026.V18.104.22.168.ODHMIFA.zip (Link removed by provider)
- Connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- Transfer the ROM ZIP file to the phone’s storage/SD card.
- Disconnect the device and power it off.
- Hold the Volume Up and Power button altogether.
- Release the keys when the Mi logo appears.
- In TWRP, go to ‘Install‘.
- Navigate to the storage and select the ROM ZIP file.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to install Xiaomi Mi A1 March update 9.5.9.
- When the flashing process is complete, press the ‘Reboot System‘ button.
Once your device boots, it shall be running the latest software based on Android 8.0 Oreo with March 2018 security patches. The performance should now be more fluent and offer a better battery life. Once the official Fastboot image is available, we shall be updating this post with the links and corresponding instructions. We do expect to see Android 8.1 Oreo for Mi A1 to be arriving soon.
So, this was our guide on how to install Xiaomi Mi A1 March update 9.5.9. If you have any questions, kindly leave them in the comments section below.