Huawei’s 2016 flagship, the Huawei P9, may not get a taste of Pie, but its latest over-the-air update is enough to satisfy current users. To brief, the Huawei P9 shipped with Android Marshmallow back in 2016. As with any other flagship devices, it is eligible with up to two years software updates and Android security patches.
The Android 8.0 Oreo was first rolled-out for the Huawei P9 July of last year. Last month, the update was followed by EMUI 188.8.131.529. It added many features, fixed all the bugs from the previous update, and updated the security patch level to December 2018.
Now, another update is rolling out for the Chinese market. The update is similar to the Global roll-out last month, but with many changes and features specific to China. Some of these features, however, may also roll-out globally.
The new EMUI 8.0 update now allows users to press the power button five times to activate Emergency SOS. It also adds support for WeChat (v6.7.3 and later) fingerprint payment. But probably one of the coolest features with the new EMUI 8.0 is the ability to detect when a face is in the viewfinder. Basically, the screen will not turn off as long as it recognizes a face. Other improvements include better call answering performance in Baidu and AutoNavi navigation, and a launch speed of certain mainstream apps.
- Users can now press the power button five times in a row to activate Emergency SOS
- Adds support for WeChat (v6.7.3 or later) fingerprint payment
- Standardizes app permissions and behaviors to reduce privacy risks and disturbance
- Adds support for the Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6)
- Adds the fixed 4-digit and 6-digit lock screen PIN options.
- Fixes the issue where Find My Phone would occasionally fail at night
- After the update, the screen will not turn off as long as it recognizes there is a face in the viewfinder
- Prompts the user when a recording has been finished successfully. Touch it to go to the recording
- Improves call answering performance in Baidu and AutoNavi navigation.
- Improves the launch speed of certain mainstream apps
- December 2018 security patches
This update is now rolling-out for Huawei P9 models with variants EVA-AL00, EVA-AL10, EVA-DL00, EVA-TL00, and EVA-CL00. Users need to have EMUI 184.108.40.206 update installed to be eligible for the new OTA.