A few simple steps that will help you unlock Huawei Honor 8 bootloader.
Brought the sleeky new Huawei Honor 8? Well, if you’re reading this then we will presume that you need more from your device. We know the feeling of being unsatisfied from the stuff that is delivered by OEMs. To cross those boundaries laid down by manufacturers, you would need to root your Android. But even before that, there is some critical requirement, without which rooting will not be possible. So here we are, to demonstrate on how you can unlock Huawei Honor 8 bootloader, officially. Unlocking the bootloader will enable you to write/modify the device partitions, hence enabling you to root and also inject other mods, and install custom ROMs.
When we say “officially“, we mean that the manufacturer itself allows bootloader unlocking. This definitely eases out the process and spares the use of any costly unlocking tools that are available online.
There are several unofficial unlocking methods/tools available online. Some of them paid, while others are free. But we highly encourage using the official process, since it is most reliable and doesn’t require any extra effort.
Unlocking the bootloader will break the official device support/warranty provided by Huawei. Know what you are doing, before you proceed ahead. The process itself is safe, but what you choose to put up later on your device, may make your device vulnerable. We shall not be held liable for any damage that occurs to your device’s hardware or software.
- Unlocking the bootloader will erase the device completely including internal storage. So, back up everything before you proceed.
- Charge your Honor 8 to at least 60% of battery level. This will help avoid any uncertain shutdowns during the process.
- Install appropriate USB drivers for your Huawei device: Link
- Setup Android SDK for fastboot and ADB access: Link
- Enable USB debugging on your Honor 8: Link
Steps To Unlock Huawei Honor 8 Bootloader
- Before we head on to the unlocking part, there are a few things that need to be done and some data to be collected that will help in retrieving the unlock code.
- First, go to Settings > Developer options and enable “Enable OEM unlock“.
- Go to Settings > About > Status, and take note of the IMEI1 & serial number.
- Open dialer on your phone, enter *#*#1357946#*#* and note down the product ID.
- Also, know your Honor 8’s model number (FRD-L09, FRD-AL10, FRD-AL00). It could be gathered from the phone box.
- Now, that you have collected all the information, go to the official Huawei Unlock Page. The landing page should display the complete agreement, so read it thoroughly. Finally tick the “I have read and accept all terms above” box and click on “Next“.
- Login with your existing Huawei ID or sign up for a fresh one.
- After logging in, enter the information collected above (Step #1) in the appropriate fields. And then click on the “Submit” button.
- The unlock code should be displayed. So make note of it, it is the unique unlock code for your Honor 8.
- Connect your device to the PC via USB cable and open a command prompt/CMD window.
- Enter the following command to reboot your phone into fastboot mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your device is in fastboot mode, enter the command to initiate the unlocking procedure.
fastboot oem unlock <unlock-code-here>
fastboot oem unlock 5822667581244265
- As soon as you enter the command, your device screen shall prompt you with a warning. Use the volume keys to highlight “Yes” and press the power button.
- That is it! You have just unlocked the bootloader. Reboot your Honor 8 using the following command:
That was easy, right? Now go ahead root your Honor 8, install custom ROMs, or even mods like ViPER4Android and Xposed. Have any queries? Drop down a comment below.