Samsung recently pushed Marshmallow to the Galaxy Note 5. And now it has turned its face to a different device. We are going to help you update Galaxy S6 Edge+ to Marshmallow, by manually flashing the firmware.
The first wave of the update has hit the S6 Edge+ Korean variant. And is slowly arriving for the other models too. The update is labeled as build G928SKSU2BPAG for the Korean model, which has reached several users as a 1GB+ OTA. Note, that the build label may be different for your device model.
Currently, only the following models have received the update:
We will update the list when a new model is supported.
Of course, this is going to be a complete overhaul, accompanied by Doze, improved app permissions, updated Samsung Browser, and the visual changes.
The OTA update may take some time, may be even days to reach your S6 Edge+. But why wait when you can make a fresh install by manually flashing the firmware. No matter what build version you are running, or have a rooted phone, this method works for all and shall also take your phone back to the factory state.
This procedure and its files are only meant for the S6 Edge+. Do not cross flash the files or you will end up bricking your phone. We shall not be held liable for any damage. However, we will try and help you get out of any such situation.
Update Galaxy S6 Edge+ to Marshmallow
Before You Begin
- Download and install Samsung USB drivers on your PC.
- The update process will wipe everything off your device. So make sure to take a complete backup of your phone’s storage, and other necessary things like messages, contacts, apps, etc.
- Charge your S6 Edge+ to at least 60% battery level.
- Search for your model and download Marshmallow firmware: SamMobile
- Download Odin Flasher v3.10.7 and extract it: Dev-Host
- Boot your S6 Edge+ into Download mode. To do so, first power off your device completely. Now, press and hold Volume Down, Home, and Power keys until you see the phone’s display light-up. A warning screen will show up, press the Volume Up key to confirm and boot the phone into Download mode.
When the phone has entered Download mode, connect it to the PC using USB cable.
- Extracted the downloaded firmware file. For example, in my case, it is “G928CXXU2BPB8_G928COJV2BPB7_MID.zip“. Open the location where you previously extracted the Odin tool, and run Odin v3.10.7.exe.
- The Odin Flasher tool will now open.
- The Odin application should show the corresponding ID:COM port when the device has been detected successfully. In the Odin window, under Options, make sure F.Reset Time and Auto Reboot have been selected. Every other option should be unchecked.
- Now that everything is set, click on the AP button. Browse to the folder where the firmware files were extracted, and select the AP tar.md5 file. Next, do the same for CP, CSC, and BL. When all the files have been selected, click on Start.
- The flashing process will take a few minutes and when it’s complete, a PASS message will be displayed and your S6 Edge+ will reboot itself. You can disconnect your phone and close the Odin window now.
That’s it! You have just updated your S6 Edge+ manually to Android Marshmallow. Go ahead, enjoy the latest Android software and features on your phone. Tell us about your experience, through the comments. If you have issues during the installation, you can ask us directly.
Now that you have installed Android Marshmallow on Galaxy S6 Edge+, you might want to root it – Install TWRP and Root Galaxy S6 Edge+ on Marshmallow
More for you: