Honor 10 is the latest mid-range device from Huawei’s sub-brand. If you’ve got your hands on the phone, then this tutorial will help you on how to root Honor 10 using Magisk.
The Chinese smartphone manufacturer – Huawei, has released a couple of Android devices for the past one year. Any many of these have marked standards in the smartphone industry. Ranging from the affordable Honor 9 Lite to the high-end Huawei P20 Pro, the company has covered it all. Last month, the company came up with another iconic addition, named as the “Honor 10“. The phone not only follows the latest design trends and hardware but also comes with the latest software – EMUI 8.1 based on Android 8.1 Oreo.
So, if you’re looking forward to customizing the device beyond the manufacturer’s limitations, then you will need to root Huawei Honor 10. Rooting the phone will give you limitless access to the operating system, allow you to modify the system according to your needs. In plain words, it would grant you the permission to install root-enabled apps and mods, such as a Magisk module.
Guide to Root Honor 10 using Magisk
Normally, the root process would begin with installing TWRP recovery and then installing the root ZIP package through it. But since the Honor 10 is pretty new, there’s hardly any development going on at the moment. Although, XDA member LastStandingDroid was able to extract the stock boot image (boot.img) from the TL10/AL10 firmware. He then patched it using Magisk.
Users can grab this modified boot.img and flash it to root Honor 10 easily. Again, there are yet no custom ROMs or device-specific mods available. But you can still use the existing Magisk modules and root applications to customize the device.
Now the process is early easy, even for those who’re new to the scene. You will need to start off by unlocking the bootloader, and then use fastboot to flash the modified boot.img to achieve Honor 10 root.
- Like we always recommend, backup all the data on the phone before proceeding. You can also follow our tutorial on how to backup Android phones.
- Charge the phone to a sufficient battery level, so that it doesn’t switch off and screw the rooting process.
- Download and install Android SDK platform tools on the PC. During this tutorial, we will be referring to “C:\adb”, which is the folder/directory on the PC containing the ADB/Fastboot binaries.
- It is imperative to enable OEM unlocking in device settings and unlock Honor 10 bootloader first.
How to Root Honor 10?
- Download Honor 10 modified boot image: col-magisk-tlxx .img
- Copy the downloaded image to C:\adb, where the ADB and Fastboot files are present.
- Hold the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the folder.
- Select “Open PowerShell window here”.
- Power off the Honor 10 completely.
- Hold the Volume Down key and connect the phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- The phone should enter the bootloader mode.
- Use the following command to flash the boot image and root Honor 10 using Magisk:
fastboot flash ramdisk col-magisk-tlxx .img
- When the flashing process is complete, reboot the phone using the command below:
As soon as the phone reboots, you shall be able to install and use root-enabled apps/Magisk modules to customize the OS. According to the source, it is necessary to install Magisk using the Magisk Manager app after a successful boot. This shall prevent any issues during the module installation process.
So you have just been successful to root Honor 10 using Magisk. If you have any questions, please ask us by commenting below.