Get Android 8.1 Oreo on your 2016’s Galaxy S devices. Following this guide, you will be able to install LineageOS 15.1 on Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. The ROM is completely functional and stable for daily usage.
Samsung announced its Android Oreo beta program last month with Samsung Experience 9.0. Unfortunately, it only supported this year’s Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus. And pretty recently, the Galaxy Note 8 made it up the list too. But there has still been no update for last year’s Galaxy flagship phones. If you own the said devices, then there’s some good news for you all. You can now install LineageOS 15.1 on Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge, which is based on Android 8.1 Oreo.
- Install Android Oreo on Galaxy Note 8 Snapdragon (Leaked ROM)
- Install Galaxy S8 Plus Android Oreo Beta 3 Update (G955F)
- Install Android Oreo Beta 2 on Snapdragon Galaxy S8/S8 Plus
- How to Disable Persistent Notifications in Android 8.1 Oreo
- Android Oreo Custom ROMs List for Popular Devices – Find Yours Now!
Guide to Install LineageOS 15.1 on Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge
The Galaxy S7 series came with Marshmallow and currently runs on Android Nougat. Which means that the phone has already received two major Android versions. According to Android Authority, there are no guarantees on if and when Android Oreo will arrive for the S7 and S7 Edge.
Custom ROMs in Android is best known not just for the added features. But also for bringing support for latest Android versions, when the OEM chooses not to. Today is such a case, where XDA senior member – Ivan_Melar has compiled LineageOS 15.1 ROM for the devices. It is based on Android 8.1 Oreo, which is as fantastic as it looks.
Android 8.1 has only been available for the Nexus and Pixel lineup. But now you install LineageOS 15.1 on Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge and experience it on your device. The ROM was first announced in late November and was based on Android 8.0. Since that time, the developer has worked very hard to dismiss the initial bugs to make the ROM more suitable as a daily driver.
According to the source, almost all the basic functions of the device work properly. However, there’s a short list of non-functional features that you should take note of.
- GPS (Device only)
- Hardware Acceleration (Video playback)
We believe these are not something that would affect your overall usage on a large scale. So, if these do not trouble you, you can easily install LineageOS 15.1 on Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge.
- Installing a custom ROM will wipe apps and related data from the phone. So, make sure to take a complete backup of your Galaxy device. You can follow our guide on how to backup Android phones.
- You must have TWRP recovery on Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge.
- Make sure to charge your device to a sufficient battery level. This will prevent any shutdowns during the flashing process.
Once you have gone through the prerequisites stated above, head below to install LineageOS 15.1 on Galaxy S7 (Edge).
Download LineageOS 15.1 ROM
Samsung Galaxy S7: lineage-15.1-20171215_181210-UNOFFICIAL-herolte.zip | Mirror
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge: lineage-15.1-20171215_141457-UNOFFICIAL-hero2lte.zip | Mirror
Instructions to Install LineageOS 15.1 on Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge
- Download the ROM and GApps zip files for the links above.
- Next, connect your Galaxy S7 device to the PC.
- Swipe down the notification bar and tap on the USB notification. Then select ‘File Transfer’.
- Copy the downloaded files to the phone’s internal storage.
- Disconnect the phone and power it down completely.
- Boot into TWRP recovery – Press and hold the Volume Up + Home + Power button altogether.
- In TWRP, go to the ‘Wipe’ menu and tap on ‘Advanced Wipe’. Select the partitions as shown in the image below.
- Then swipe the ‘Swipe to Wipe’ button.
- Once your Galaxy S7 (Edge) has been wiped, go back to the TWRP main screen.
- Press the ‘Install’ button. Then navigate to the location where you had transferred the files.
- Select the ROM zip (e.g. lineage-15.1-20171215_141457-UNOFFICIAL-hero2lte.zip).
- Tap on ‘Add more Zips’ button and select the GApps file this time.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to install LineageOS 15.1 on Galaxy S7.
- The flashing process might take a minute or so. Once it is complete, hit the ‘Reboot System’ button.
The LineageOS boot animation will appear on the device’s screen. Your Galaxy S7/S7 Edge will boot into the fresh new LAOS, based on Android 8.1 Oreo. So go ahead and take advantage of all the new features.
So you have just been able to install LineageOS 15.1 on Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. If you face any problems during the installation process, let us know via comments.