After the Asus Zenfone 6/6z, the manufacturer is now rolling out the Android 10 (ZenUI 6) update for the Zenfone 5Z (ZS620KL), with build number ‘WW_188.8.131.52’ and February 2020 security patch. Through this post, you can download Asus Zenfone 5Z Android 10 Update and manually install it right now by using the in-built update mechanism.
The Zenfone 5Z was the only device from Asus that was part of the official Android Q Beta Program. Despite that fact, it was Asus Zenfone 6/6z, launched this year, that received the stable Android 10 update first. We suspect that the manufacturer wanted to focus all its attention on its latest flagship first. Anyhow, the important thing is that Android 10 for Asus Zenfone 5Z is now available. The update was announced directly at the ZenTalk forums and is currently rolling out to the users worldwide.
- 1 What’s New in Android 10 Update for Asus Zenfone 5Z?
- 2 Before You Proceed
- 3 Download Asus Zenfone 5Z Android 10 OTA Update
- 4 How to Manually Install Android 10 Update on Asus Zenfone 5Z
What’s New in Android 10 Update for Asus Zenfone 5Z?
Being a major version upgrade, Android 10 for Asus Zenfone 5Z brings a lot of new features. These include the new and improved gesture navigation, Smart Reply, Live Captions, System-wide Dark Theme, Privacy and Location Controls, Focus Mode in Digital Wellbeing, and much more. For the complete list of Android 10 features, please visit the official website.
Asus’ own ZenUI 6 further adds some more features on top of Android 10, like a native screen recorder, a dedicated One-handed Mode, Game Genie, and more. According to the official announcement following is the complete changelog for this update:
Android 10 Update Changelog:
- Upgraded system to Android 10
- Support Google Play system update
- Removed Page Marker, ZeniMoki, Selfie Master, Beauty Live, Kids Mode, Easy Mode, weather animation setting, AI charging, WebStorage, Go2 Pay, Report Location in Safeguard, and Yandex cloud option in File Manager
- Removed the support of Twin app for “Arena of Valor, PUBG, Vainglory, and Injustice 2”
- Please back up your data before upgrading to Android 10. If you want to downgrade your device’s software version to Android 9 by official software package, it will erase all data from your device’s internal storage.
- Upgraded APN settings
- Add the APN setting of Canada Public Mobile
- Modify ASUS APN Setting
- Moved Themes and Mobile Manager to Advanced Settings
- Some 3rd part apps aren’t compatible with Android 10 yet
This latest Android 10 update for Asus Zenfone 5Z comes with 184.108.40.206 build number and also carries the latest February 2020 security patches.
And like we mentioned earlier, the update has already started rolling out to the users over-the-air. To check if your device has received the update, go to “Setting” → “System” → “System updates”. In case you still haven’t received the update yet, then you can download the Android 10 OTA zip package for your Asus Zenfone 5Z from below, and follow the instructions to upgrade right now.
Before You Proceed
Make sure that you fulfill all the requirements listed below.
- Installing OTA updates manually may lead to data loss if done wrong. The update instructions in this post will not erase any data stored on your Zenfone 5Z. But it is still strongly recommended to safeguard your data and take a full backup first.
- Charge your phone to a sufficient battery level. This shall help avoid any interruptions while performing the upgrade process.
Download Asus Zenfone 5Z Android 10 OTA Update
The Android 10 OTA update packages for Zenfone 5Z are available in two different formats – (1) Incremental OTA and (2) Full OTA. The latter can be installed on the phone irrespective of the firmware installed.
On the other hand, the incremental OTA package should be installed in a specific sequence. The first Android 10 update (100.04.44.98) should be installed on Zenfone 5Z running the Android Pie firmware with ‘220.127.116.11’ build number. Once you have that installed, you can further install the Android 10-based January 2020 security update (18.104.22.168), and so on.
If your phone isn’t on the required Pie firmware, then you can simply download the full firmware package from here and install it.
Now simply click on the link below to download Android 10 OTA for Asus Zenfone 5Z (ZS620KL).
1. Stable Android 10 OTA (WW_100.04.44.98)
- Incremental OTA package:
- ‘22.214.171.124’ (Android Pie) > ‘100.04.44.98’ (Android 10): update.zip
- Rename the downloaded file to “UL-Z01R-WW-100.04.44.98-user.zip”
- Full OTA package: UL-Z01R-WW-100.04.44.98-user.zip
2. January 2020 Security Update (WW_126.96.36.199)
- Incremental OTA Package:
- ‘100.04.44.98’ (First Android 10 update) > ‘188.8.131.52’: update.zip
- Rename the downloaded file to ‘UL-Z01R-WW-184.108.40.206-user.zip’
- Full OTA package: N/A
2. February 2020 Security Update (WW_220.127.116.11)
- Incremental OTA Package:
- ‘18.104.22.168’ (January 2020 update) > ‘22.214.171.124’: update.zip
- Rename the downloaded file to ‘UL-Z01R-WW-126.96.36.199-user.zip’
- Full OTA package: UL-Z01R-WW-188.8.131.52-user.zip
The official download links for the Android 10 incremental OTA zip package were provided by XDA member mickey36736. So a huge thanks to him!
How to Manually Install Android 10 Update on Asus Zenfone 5Z
- Download the Android 10 OTA package for Asus Zenfone 5Z.
- Make sure that you have renamed the OTA package accordingly.
- Connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable
- Copy the Android 10 OTA package to the root of your Zenfone 5Z’s internal storage (outside all folders).
- Next, disconnect the phone from the PC and reboot it.
- Once your phone reboots, you should see the “System update file detected” update notification.
- Tap on the update notification to manually install Asus Zenfone 5Z Android 10 update.
- Agree to any prompts that show up on the screen.
- After the update has been installed, your phone will automatically boot back into the system (OS).
If the above method fails for some reason, you can alternatively use ADB sideload to manually install the OTA as well. For the instructions, please visit this guide.
Your phone should now be running the latest ZenUI 6 software based on Android 10, along with the latest February 2020 security patches. Now go ahead and explore all the new features that this update brings.
So this was our guide on how to download and install Asus Zenfone 5Z Android 10 update. If you have any questions regarding the update or the process mentioned in this post, then drop a comment below.