Asus has recently started rolling out the Android 10 update with ZenUI 6 for the Asus Zenfone 6 (Also known as “Asus 6z”). Through this post, you can download Asus Zenfone 6/6z Android 10 update and install it right now, by sideloading the OTA zip package using the in-built update mechanism.
After Google launched Android 10 back in September, several manufacturers like Essential and OnePlus jumped on board and released the Android 10 update for their devices. On the other hand, manufacturers like Samsung have already started beta testing for several devices including the Galaxy S10 and Note 10 series. Although it was the Zenfone 5Z that was part of the official Android Q Beta Program, it seems like its successor, the 2019-launched Zenfone 6/6z is getting more attention when it comes to software support.
There’s hasn’t been any official announcement from Asus yet, but according to reports from Reddit, Android 10 update for Asus Zenfone 6/6z is already rolling out over-the-air to users in the U.S, India, and Canada.
What’s New in Android 10 Update for Asus Zenfone 6/6z?
This new firmware update comes with 17.1810.1910.63 build number and also brings November 2019 security patches to the Zenfone 6/6z. The OTA update weighs about 809 MB, which is large considering this is a major Android version upgrade.
With Android 10 on your phone, you will get the new and improved gesture navigation for an immersive full-screen experience. Google has massively improved how gesture navigation works when compared to the same on Android 9 Pie. The new “Smart Reply” feature takes full advantage of AI technology to provide recommended replies and actions for the incoming text messages. The Zenfone 6/6z Android 10 update also brings the system-wide Dark Theme feature, which is not only easy on your eyes but also helps conserve the battery life.
Privacy is another department where Android 10 has improved a lot. The new Privacy and Location Controls provide you with more granular controls over individual app permissions. App notifications can now be marked as “silent” or “alerting”. Where the former will not produce any sound or vibration and the latter will do the exact opposite. Both the silent and alerting notifications are separated in the notifications panel, to make it easier for you to see what needs more attention. For the complete list of Android 10 features, check the official website.
The update also comes with the new ZenUI 6 skin sitting atop Android 10. However, according to XDA-Developers, there aren’t any significant changes when moving from the old Android Pie-based ZenUI 5. To sum up, you will get to experience a lot of new features and a more fluid experience after upgrading to Android 10.
As we mentioned earlier, the update has already started rolling out to the users over-the-air. To check for the update, go to “Setting” → “System” → “System updates” on your phone. In case you still haven’t received the update yet, then you can download the Android 10 OTA package for your Asus Zenfone 6/6z from below, and follow the instructions to upgrade right now.
Before You Proceed
Make sure that you fulfill all the requirements listed below.
- Manually installing OTA updates can lead to data loss, if done wrong. Although no data will be erased if you follow this method to upgrade your Zenfone 6/6z, but will still strongly recommend taking a full backup beforehand. This will ensure that all your data is safe even if something goes sideways.
- Charge your phone to a sufficient battery level. This shall help avoid any interruptions while performing the upgrade process.
Download Asus Zenfone 6/6z Android 10 OTA Update
Thanks to XDA member mickey36736, we now have the official download links for the Android 10 incremental OTA zip package. Note that the first Android 10 update (17.1810.1910.63) can only be installed on a Zenfone 6/6z running the latest Android Pie (16.1220.1909.194) firmware. If your phone isn’t on the said firmware, then you can simply download the full firmware package from below and install it.
Simply click on the link below to download the Android 10 OTA for your Zenfone 6/6z.
WW_17.1810.1910.73 (Released on 25 November 2019)
- Incremental OTA package:
- ‘17.1810.1910.68’ > ‘17.1810.1910.73’: WW_ZS630KL-17.1810.1910.68-17.1810.1910.73-11200352-fota-user.zip
- Rename the downloaded file to “UL-ASUS_I01WD-ASUS-17.1810.1910.73-1.1.1-user.zip”
- Full firmware package: UL-ASUS_I01WD-ASUS-17.1810.1910.73-1.1.1-user.zip
WW_17.1810.1910.68 (Released on 7 November 2019)
- Incremental OTA package:
- ‘17.1810.1910.63’ > ‘17.1810.1910.68’: WW_ZS630KL-17.1810.1910.63-17.1810.1910.68-11032253-fota-user.zip
- Rename the downloaded file to “UL-ASUS_I01WD-ASUS-17.1810.1910.68-1.1.1-user.zip”
- Full firmware package: UL-ASUS_I01WD-ASUS-17.1810.1910.68-1.1.1-user.zip
WW_17.1810.1910.63 (Released on 4 November 2019)
- Incremental OTA package:
- ‘16.1220.1909.194’ (Android Pie) > ‘17.1810.1910.63’ (Android 10): WW_ZS630KL-16.1220.1909.194-17.1810.1910.63-10311713-fota-user.zip
- Rename the downloaded file to “UL-ASUS_I01WD-ASUS-17.1810.1910.63-1.1.1-user.zip”
- Full firmware package: UL-ASUS_I01WD-ASUS-17.1810.1910.63-1.1.1-user.zip
Instructions to Install Android 10 OTA Update on Asus Zenfone 6/6z
- Download the Android 10 OTA package for your Asus Zenfone 6/6z from above.
- Rename the downloaded OTA zip file to “UL-ASUS_I01WD-ASUS-17.1810.1910.73-1.1.1-user.zip“.
- Connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable
- Copy the Android 10 OTA package to the root (outside all folders) of your Zenfone 6/6z’s internal storage.
- Next, disconnect your phone from the PC and reboot it.
- Once your phone reboots, you should see the “System update file detected” update notification.
- Tap on the update notification to begin installing Asus Zenfone 6/6z Android 10 update.
- Agree to any prompts that show up on the screen.
- After the update has been installed, your phone will automatically boot back into the system (OS).
That’s it! Your phone shall be running ZenUI 6 based on Android 10 with the latest November 2019 security patches. Now go ahead and explore all the new features like the system-wide Dark Theme, improved full-screen gesture navigation, Privacy Controls, and much more.
Asus is indeed picking up on its game with its latest flagship. On the other hand, the Zenfone 5Z, which was officially part of the Android Q beta program is still awaiting the Android 10 update. Personally, we feel that it should have been the first to receive the update, considering the fact that Android 10 was already in the testing phase and should have been polished enough for a public stable release. We do hope that Asus will roll it out soon.
So this was our guide on how to download and install Asus Zenfone 6/6z Android 10 update. If you have any questions regarding the update or the process mentioned in this post, then drop a comment below.