We previously covered how you can easily unlock the bootloader on Xiaomi smartphones. And in this tutorial, we will show you how to Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Devices.
The process of installing TWRP is generic through all the Xiaomi devices that support the custom recovery. So, irrespective of the device you have, the process is same for all (For most, at least).
A custom recovery is a third-party recovery console that allows you to perform several actions on the device and its partition, that a normal/stock recovery doesn’t allow. In the current scenario, the best custom recovery available is TWRP or TeamWin Recovery Project. It is an open-source recovery that offers several features including touch-support.
A custom recovery like TWRP on your Xiaomi will allow you to flash ROMs/kernels/mods, wipe partitions, take a Nandroid backup of your ROM, and root your device. And in this tutorial, we will guide you on how to flash TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Devices.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Devices
Installing TWRP should not harm your device. However, messing with the recovery options may result in complete data loss or an unbootable device. While these things can be fixed, it will be best if you follow the instructions in this tutorial very carefully.
- In order to install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi, you must first unlock the bootloader on the device: Tutorial
- Charge your Xiaomi device at least 60% to avoid any sudden shutdowns.
- Take a complete backup of your Android before you proceed ahead: Tutorial
- Download and install Xiaomi USB drivers: Link
- Enable USB debugging on your device: Tutorial
- Setup ADB access on your Android: Tutorial
- Also enable “OEM unlocking” in Settings > Additional settings > Developer options.
Flash TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi
You can easily install TWRP recovery on Xiaomi devices by flashing the recovery image file through fastboot. We will be taking the Redmi Note 4X as an example for this tutorial. The complete process wouldn’t take more than a few minutes. So let’s get started!
- Download TWRP recovery for your device. You will need to search for your device name: Link
- Keeping in mind that you have enabled USB debugging and have ADB access to your device, move the downloaded recovery image file (Example: twrp-3.1.1-0-mido.img) to the “ADB” folder.
- Now, plug your Xiaomi device to the PC using USB cable.
- Boot your device into bootloader mode. You can simply enter the command below in Command Prompt or Terminal window. Or you can power off your phone completely and then hold the Volume UP and Power keys until you see the bootloader screen.
adb reboot bootloader
- Now that your Xiaomi is in bootloader mode, it is important to find if the device has a successful fastboot connection. So, type the below command and enter to verify that your device is connected in fastboot mode:
- As soon as you enter the command, the CMD/Terminal window will return a device ID. If it doesn’t then make sure that you go through with the Prerequisites again and install proper drivers. Also, make sure that you have setup ADB access properly.
- Finally, install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi by entering the command:
fastboot flash recovery name-of-the-file.img
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.1.1-0-mido.img
- The TWRP flashing process will not take more than a few seconds. When it is complete, reboot your device finally.
- You have been successful to install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi device.
Now, you can enter into TWRP recovery Mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down + Power keys together. Go on flash some latest ROMs and mods on your device. We have a few listed for you.
- How To Fix Third Party Theme Error on Redmi Devices
- How to Install AOSP 8.0 Oreo ROM for Xiaomi Mi 3 and Mi 4
- Download MIUI 9 Beta ROM for Xiaomi Devices
- How To Install MIUI 9 on Redmi Note 3
I hope you enjoyed this guide. Please do share with other too.