Andy Rubin’s crafted piece of art, the Essential PH-1 can now be rooted. Follow this tutorial to root Essential Phone (PH-1) using Magisk.
The Essential Phone is a result of dedicated craftsmanship and aims at changing how our Android device’s look and how we operate them. The vision of the company is to make the smartphone truly belongs to the user. The software inside the phone is lean and does not hit the UX by bloating apps. There’s a lot more packed inside that unique design. But the phone has already faced its share of difficulties, starting from delayed shipping, camera quality issues. These problems eventually ended in a hefty $200 price drop. But that’s a never-ending story with manufacturers. Today, we are here for a different purpose, that is to help you root Essential Phone.
- How to Root Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL using Magisk
- Root Xiaomi Mi A1 (Magisk) and Install TWRP Recovery
Root Essential Phone (PH-1) using Magisk
The customization/rooting scene on the device has been sort of slowish. But it seems like XDA community is never far behind. The forum’s senior member – bmg1001 has come up with a working TWRP build and root solution for the device.
According to the source (link at the bottom), rooting the device is fairly easy with the provided files. In order to root Essential Phone (PH-1), the first step is to flash the TWRP recovery. The recovery itself is packed inside the boot.img (kernel). That is because the Essential Phone, like Google Pixel 2 and Xiaomi Mi A1, has implemented A/B partition scheme.
After installing the TWRP recovery on the device, you can easily sideload the latest Magisk installer. Post that, you will also need to flash the patched boot image corresponding to the build number that your device has.
Rooting Essential Phone (PH-1) may break your device’s official support and warranty. If you’re not sure what you’re diving into, then take a step back and rethink. We hold no responsibility for any damage to your device during or after this procedure.
Now, go through the list of requirements below. Once you have fulfilled all of them, head towards the instructions to root Essential Phone.
- It is highly advised to backup your device first. You can follow our tutorial on how to backup Android devices.
- Your Essential device’s bootloader must be unlocked.
- Install ADB and Fastboot on your PC. We will be needing these Android tools in the instructions below.
- Charge your device to at least 50-60% battery level to avoid any disturbances during the root process.
Before you get to the steps below to root Essential Phone, make sure to download all the listed files and copy them to the folder where all the ADB and Fastboot files are present (C:\adb).
- twrp-mata_6_NMJ32F.img | Mirror
- Modified boot.img corresponding the build number installed on your device:
Instructions to Root Essential Phone PH-1
- Boot your Essential PH-1 into Fastboot mode:
- Power off the device completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Down + Power button altogether.
- Connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- Go to the directory/folder where all the ADB and Fastboot files are present (C:\adb).
- Press the SHIFT key on the keyboard and right-click inside this folder.
- Select the ‘Open PowerShell window here’ option.
- Now, enter the following Fastboot command to flash TWRP recovery:
fastboot flash boot twrp-mate_6_NMJ32F.img
- Once the recovery has been flashed, tap the Volume buttons a few times until ‘Recovery mode’ appears on the Bootloader screen. Then, select it using the Power button.
- Your Essential Phone should now enter TWRP recovery mode.
- Now, sideload Magisk using the following ADB command:
adb sideload Magisk-v14.3.zip
- The file will then be sideloaded and flashed on the device.
- Reboot back into Bootloader mode:
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, in case your device is on build NMJ32F, then you can skip the steps below and simply reboot your device. If the build number is NMJ20D, then you will need to flash the patched boot image using:
fastboot flash boot boot_magisk_nmj20d.img
- Finally, reboot your device using:
Great! You have just been able to root Essential Phone (PH-1) using Magisk. Go ahead and try some modules to add new features to the device. You can also follow some tutorials for rooted devices.
If you have any problems following this procedure, drop a comment below. We will make the best effort to help you.