Easily downgrade OnePlus 5 Android Oreo to Nougat, if you favor the stability of Nougat-based OxygenOS builds over Oreo.
Android Oreo is probably one of the best Android version till date. But does it suit your device right now? If you’re currently running the Android Oreo Leaked ROM on OnePlus 5, you might as well agree. While the build does enable you to enjoy the latest features, it is still in a testing phase, where bugs and glitches could be expected. Some might overlook these problems easily, while others couldn’t. It could be possible that the first official release for the OP5 could have certain problems that would barricade the general working of the device. In any such case, you can simply downgrade OnePlus 5 Android Oreo ROM to Nougat.
- How to Install OnePlus 5 OxygenOS 5.0 Update (Android 8.0 Oreo)
- Install OxygenOS 4.5.15 Update on OnePlus 5 (Full ROM + OTA)
- How to Decrypt OnePlus 5 and Disable Forced-Encryption
- Install ViPER4Android on Android Oreo 8.0
- Download OnePlus 5 JCC Limited Edition Wallpapers
- How to Disable OnePlus Device Manager and Stop Data Mining
How to Downgrade OnePlus 5 Android Oreo 8.0 to Nougat
Downgrading on other OEM devices could be time-consuming and devastating at times, but that’s not the case with OnePlus. Reverting back from Android Oreo-based OxygenOS 4.5.2 to Nougat-based OxygenOS is a simple process. The manufacturer has made it very easy for consumers to return back to whatever previous build they want, without much hassle.
Before you get to the instructions to downgrade OnePlus 5 Android Oreo, ask yourself for the reason behind it. We have gathered some very common issues that may lead you to this situation.
- UI glitches – The interface itself is the connection between a user and the device. Any major dysfunctionality could be a road bump.
- Performance and battery – Users look forward to upgrades in hope for improved performance and battery life. However, initial/alpha/leaked builds could sometimes be an exception due to the lack of feedback.
- Hardware anomalies – After the Oreo-based OxygenOS 4.5.2 was released, several users on the OP community reported about delayed fingerprint sensor. Personally, I didn’t have this issue.
Now, if you really find yourself in trouble and the usage is affected to a point where it can’t be ignored, then you may proceed ahead and downgrade OnePlus 5 Android Oreo to Nougat.
- Before you head over to the instructions, it is very important that you take a backup of your device. You can follow our guide on how to backup Android devices.
- If you’re going to use option #2, then it is a must that you install ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
- Charge your device to a sufficient battery level to avoid any mishaps during the downgrade process.
Once you have fulfilled the requirements above, head down to download stock firmware and downgrade OnePlus 5 Android Oreo.
Download Nougat-based OxygenOS Firmware (Full ROM)
The latest stable OxygenOS version based on Android Nougat is 4.5.15. Any version below this is also based on the same. We will further keep you updated regarding this when a new build pops-up.
- Download official roll-back build: O2N_MP_16859_OXYGEN_SIGN_wipe.zip
- If you’re using OxygenOS 5.0, download the full ROM of your desired OxygenOS version: OnePlus 5 Downloads
Instructions to Downgrade OnePlus 5 Android Oreo 8.0
Option #1 lets you manually flash the full ROM zip through the recovery. In case you’re not able to boot into the OS to transfer the ROM file, you can also sideload it through ADB. For that, follow option #2.
Option #1: Flash Using Recovery
The first method here allows you to downgrade OnePlus 5 Android Oreo to Nougat by manually flashing the full ROM using recovery. It could be carried out by using both, the stock recovery and TWRP.
- Download the Nougat-based OxygenOS full ROM from above.
- Copy the full ROM *.zip file to the root of the internal storage. By root, we mean outside all other folders.
- Disconnect the device and power it off.
- Now, boot OnePlus 5 into Recovery mode.
- If you have stock OnePlus recovery, then follow step #8 and skip #9. However, in case you have TWRP recovery installed on your device, then skip step #8 and follow #9.
- OnePlus Stock Recovery:
- On the language selection screen, choose ‘English’.
- Tap on ‘Wipe data and cache’ and select ‘Reset system setting’.
- Press on ‘Yes’ to confirm the wiping process.
- Once complete, go back and select ‘Install from internal storage’ option.
- The selection screen will be shown, so browse through the internal storage and choose the official roll-back full ROM zip (e.g. O2N_MP_16859_OXYGEN_SIGN_wipe.zip).
- Select ‘Yes’ to confirm and downgrade OnePlus 5 Android Oreo ROM.
- Finally, when the flashing process is complete, select ‘Reboot’.
- TWRP Recovery:
- Go to ‘Wipe’ -> ‘Advanced Wipe’.
- Select the Dalvik/ART Cache, Cache, Data, and System options.
- Swipe the ‘Swipe to Wipe’ button.
- When the wiping process is through, go back to the TWRP main screen.
- Tap on the ‘Install’ button and navigate to the internal storage.
- Select the OxygenOS full ROM file (e.g. OnePlus5Oxygen_23_OTA_019_all_1710311604_11573682a759c.zip).
- Then, swipe the ‘Swipe to confirm Flash’ button to downgrade OnePlus 5 Android Oreo to Nougat-based OxygenOS.
- Once everything is finished, select ‘Reboot System’.
Option #2: Sideload Full ROM using ADB
This option is useful for those who have stock recovery and are not able to enter the OS to transfer the ROM file. As stated in Prerequisites, it is important that you first set up ADB on your PC (Prerequisites, #2).
Once that is done, you will be all geared up to sideload the full ROM over ADB and downgrade OnePlus 5 Android Oreo 8.0 to Nougat.
- Download the full ROM *.zip file to your PC.
- Copy the downloaded ROM file to the folder where all the ADB files are present. If you have followed our tutorial, then it must be C:\adb on Windows and /Desktop/adb/ on macOS/Linux.
- Open PowerShell/Terminal window:
- Windows: Press the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space inside the ‘adb’ folder. Select ‘Open PowerShell window here’.
- Linux/macOS: Use ‘cd’ (Change directory) command and direct the Terminal to /Desktop/adb/.
- Boot OnePlus 5 into Recovery Mode.
- Once your device has entered the recovery main screen, go to ‘Wipe data and cache’ -> ‘Reset system setting’ and press ‘Yes’ to wipe the device.
- Now, connect your phone to the PC via USB cable and select ‘Install from ADB’.
- Your OP5 should be ready. Finally, enter the following command to sideload Nougat-based OxygenOS full ROM:
adb sideload <filename.zip>
Replace “<filename.zip>” with the actual name of the full ROM zip.
adb sideload O2N_MP_16859_OXYGEN_SIGN_wipe.zip
- The installation process will begin and will downgrade OnePlus 5 Android Oreo to Nougat.
- Once the ROM has been installed, choose ‘Reboot’ from your device’s screen.
When your device reboots, go through the on-screen instructions to set it up like new. You have now succeeded to downgrade OnePlus 5 Android Oreo to the stable Nougat firmware.
If you have got any doubts regarding this procedure, feel free to reach to us through the comments.