After over a year of patience and public beta release(s), OnePlus has now released the stable Android Pie update for OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T as OxygenOS 9.0. Through this post, you can download OnePlus 3/3T Android Pie (OxygenOS 9.0) update and install it right now.
OnePlus has once again proved its reliability when it comes to software support. Unlike many other OEMs who majorly focus only on their latest/flagship devices, OnePlus makes sure that all of its currently supported devices get the latest Android version upgrade. Back in 2018, OnePlus announced that Android Pie will be available for the OnePlus 3/3T.
Both the devices were released in 2016 and came with Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. And during the past 3 years, it has been upgraded to Android Nougat and Oreo consecutively. Last year, the OEM decided that it will be skipping Android 8.1 Oreo and make a direct jump to Android Pie for the OnePlus 3/3T. Staying true to its words, OnePlus announced Android Pie Beta for both the device earlier this year.
And now, after almost a year-long of patience, users can finally download OnePlus 3/3T Android Pie-based OxygenOS 9.0 update.
- 1 Android Pie for OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T – New Features and Changelog
- 2 Prerequisites
- 3 Download OnePlus 3/3T Android Pie Update
- 4 How to Manually Install OnePlus 3/3T Android Pie Update
Android Pie for OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T – New Features and Changelog
The news came in on 20 November 2019 from the OnePlus community forums. According to which, an incremental rollout of Android Pie-based OxygenOS 9.0.6 for the OnePlus 3 and 3T has started.
Now, before you go ahead and download OxygenOS 9.0.6 for OnePlus 3/3T, let us take a quick look at the new features that this update brings to these devices.
Since this is a major Android OS version upgrade, Android Pie for OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T brings along a ton of new features with it. The first most notable feature is the new user interface, that includes revamped Quick Settings, Notifications, and Settings menu. Android Pie brings in a lot of features that rely on AI technology to provide a more tailored user experience. This includes features like Adaptive Brightness and Adaptive Battery. To know more about all the Android Pie features, you may also visit the official website.
Since the Android Pie update for OnePlus 3/3T comes as OxygenOS, it brings some improvements and changes of its own. Following is the complete changelog as listed on the official release thread:
- Updated Android security patch to 2019.10
- General bug fixes and improvements
- Updated GMS apps
- Updated system to Android™ 9 Pie™
- Brand new UI for Android Pie
- Updated Android security patch to 2019.4
- Do Not Disturb mode
- You can now customize the time range in the new Do Not Disturb mode
- New Gaming mode 3.0
- Supported displaying text content of the heads up notifications
- Added notification for 3rd party calls
- Dialer now supports Google Duo
- Supports Google Lens to provide you with powerful image recognition experience
- General bug fixes and improvements
As you can see, this update brings even more changes to OxygenOS, including the ability to customize time range in the new DND mode, the introduction of the new Gaming Mode 3.0, support for Google Duo in the official OnePlus Dialer app, and more. Not to forget, but the update also brings April 2019 security patches.
Since the rollout is taking place in a staged manner, making use of VPNs to download the update might not work. That’s because the update is not rolling out on region-basis, but randomly to a limited number of devices initially, followed by the wider roll out in the coming days. To check if you have got the Android Pie OTA update, go to ‘Settings’ > ‘System updates’ on your OnePlus 3/3T.
Before you download OnePlus 3/3T Android Pie Update and follow the installation instructions, make sure that you fulfill all the requirements below.
- You can flash the Android Pie (OxygenOS 9.0) update on OnePlus 3/3T irrespective of the OxygenOS version installed on your phone.
- We highly recommended that you take a complete backup of all your data stored on the phone, including the internal storage.
- Charge your OnePlus 3/3T to a sufficient battery level so that it doesn’t accidentally shut down in the middle of the update process.
- Download and Install OnePlus USB Drivers on your PC. This would be required in case you download the full ROM zip on your PC and would then want to transfer it to your phone later on.
- In order to use Method 2, you must have the latest TWRP 3.3.0-0 installed on your OnePlus 3/3T.
Download OnePlus 3/3T Android Pie Update
The download links provided below are of the official full ROM package (zip) of the OxygenOS firmware. If the download speed is slow, you can also download the latest Android Pie full ROM zip files using the Oxygen Updater app.
- For OnePlus 3: OnePlus3Oxygen_16_OTA_086_all_1911042118_42cbe31ee3a.zip
- For OnePlus 3T: OnePlus3TOxygen_28_OTA_086_all_1911042121_9156030ead54e.zip
- For OnePlus 3: OnePlus3Oxygen_16_OTA_085_all_1907311947_108e7e9.zip
- For OnePlus 3T: OnePlus3TOxygen_28_OTA_085_all_1907311943_3c4d77566c8.zip
- For OnePlus 3: OnePlus3Oxygen_16_OTA_084_all_1906252013_21a9c842305.zip
- For OnePlus 3T: OnePlus3TOxygen_28_OTA_084_all_1906252013_ac38d5c08fd83.zip
- For OnePlus 3: OnePlus3Oxygen_16_OTA_083_all_1905251438_397e7f89a2d.zip
- For OnePlus 3T: OnePlus3TOxygen_28_OTA_083_all_1905250211_59a0293f9d252b.zip
How to Manually Install OnePlus 3/3T Android Pie Update
Note that there are two methods of installing Android Pie-based OxygenOS 9.0 update on OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T. The first method will help you manually install the update via OnePlus’ Local Upgrade option. Alternatively, you can install this update via TWRP recovery if you are rooted and have TWRP installed.
Method 1: Using Local Upgrade Option
- Download Android Pie-based OxygenOS 9.0 full ROM zip package
- Connect your OnePlus 3/3T to the PC using the USB cable
- Copy the full ROM zip file to the root of the phone’s internal storage
- Once copied, disconnect your device from the PC
- Now, go to ‘Settings’ > ‘System updates’
- Tap on the gear icon on the top-right of the screen.
- Select the ‘Local Upgrade’ option
- The system will automatically fetch the OxygenOS full ROM zip
- Tap on the OxygenOS 9.0.x full ROM zip file
- Finally, tap on ‘UPGRADE NOW’ to install OnePlus 3/3T Android Pie Update.
Your phone should now reboot into the recovery and flash the update. Once the update is installed, it is highly recommended to perform a factory reset to prevent any bugs or battery issues.
Method 2: Using TWRP recovery
Flashing OxygenOS 9.0.x via TWRP will cause problems with device encryption, as reported by users on XDA and community forums. To get past this, you will need to format the /data partition (Factory reset including the internal storage) after you have successfully flashed the full ROM zip.
- Download Android Pie-based OxygenOS 9.0.x full ROM zip
- Connect your OnePlus 3/3T to the PC using the USB Cable
- Transfer the downloaded zip file to your phone’s storage
- Power off your device completely
- Hold the Volume Down and Power buttons together to boot your phone into TWRP recovery
- In TWRP, go to ‘Wipe’ > ‘Advanced Wipe’
- Select the ‘Dalvik/ART Cache’, ‘System’, ‘Data’, and ‘Cache’ partitions. Then swipe the button to wipe the existing ROM.
- Go to the TWRP main menu and tap on the ‘Install’ button
- Select the OxygenOS 9.0 full ROM zip file
- Finally, swipe the button on the bottom to install OnePlus 3/3T Android Pie Update
- Once the update has been installed, go to Wipe > Format Data in TWRP
- Finally, enter “yes” in the provided file to format the /data partition and prevent any encryption issues.
When the installation finishes, tap on the ‘Reboot System’ button to boot your phone back into the upgraded OS.
You may now go ahead and test out all the new features. If you find any bugs, please make sure to submit them here and provide your feedback. This shall help accelerate the development process and help OnePlus roll out bug fixes faster.