If you’re facing performance issues, unusual lags, abnormal apps behaviour like hanging or freezing, then performing a hard reset (also known as “formatting” or a “factory reset“) on your Xiaomi Mi A3 can help fix such software issues. A hard reset can also come in handy if you’re planning to sell your phone, to ensure that none of your personal data is left over on the phone. In this guide, we will show you how to hard reset Xiaomi Mi A3 to Factory Settings by either using the phone’s settings menu or through stock recovery.
All Android devices come with an in-built option to perform a hard reset/factory reset. The process simply erases all the data stored on your phone including the system data, downloaded apps and their associated data, settings, and all files stored on the phone’s internal storage.
If you’re facing any software-related issues or have soft-bricked your phone, then performing a “soft reset”, that is simply rebooting your phone, can generally help fix these. However, if the issues are persistent even after a soft reset, then the last resort is to hard reset Xiaomi Mi A3 to factory settings.
Note: A hard reset is not same as restoring/flashing the stock firmware. So, if you have rooted your Xiaomi Mi A3, installed TWRP or a custom ROM on it, or applied any sort of modifications to the software, then we suggest you follow this guide to restore the stock firmware on your Mi A3.
How to Factory Reset/Hard Reset Xiaomi Mi A3
Below, we have mentioned two different methods that you can use to hard reset your Xiaomi Mi A3. The first method is by using the built-in option present in the phone’s Settings menu, which is the easiest and recommended method.
However, if you cannot boot your phone fails to enter the OS or is bootlooping, then it’s best to use Method 2 and perform a hard reset using the stock recovery. The second method may seem a bit complicated if you’re a novice, but I have tried my best to simply the instructions.
Since performing a reset will erase all your data, we strongly recommend that you take a full backup first, so that you can restore all the data back afterwards, if you need to.
Method 1: Hard Reset using Settings
- Go to the ‘Settings’ → ‘System’ on your Xiaomi Mi A3.
- Tap on ‘Advanced’ to expand the menu.
- Tap on ‘Reset options’ and select the ‘Erase all data (factory reset) option’.
- Select ‘RESET PHONE’ and enter your phone’s lock screen PIN/Password/Pattern if prompted.
- You shall be asked to confirm the process, so tap on ‘ERASE EVERYTHING’ to confirm and hard reset your Xiaomi Mi A3.
Your phone shall now reboot and perform a factory reset automatically.
Method 2: Hard Reset using Stock Recovery
- Press and hold the Power button of your Xiaomi Mi A3 until the Power menu appears.
- Tap on ‘Power off’ to shut down your phone completely.
- Once powered off, boot your Mi A3 into stock recovery mode.
- Use the volume buttons to select ‘Wipe data/factory reset’ in stock recovery.
- Now confirm the selection by pressing the Power button once.
- You should now see the ‘Wipe all user data?’ confirmation message on your phone’s screen.
- Use the Volume buttons to highlight ‘Yes’ and finally press the Power button to hard reset your Xiaomi Mi A3.
- Once the formatting process finishes, select ‘Reboot system now’ to boot your phone back into the OS.
When your phone boots, set it up normally by following the on-screen instruction (Only if you’re not planning on selling it). Your phone’s software should now feel fresh as new and should have fixed any software related issues, if that was your reason for performing a factory reset.
There you go! You have just learned how to hard reset Xiaomi Mi A3 to factory settings using two different methods. If you have any doubts regarding the procedure mentioned here, or concerning hard reset itself, then please ask by posting a comment.