OnePlus is rolling out another Open Beta software for the OP5. In this guide, you will be guided on how to install OnePlus 5 OxygenOS Open Beta 6 update, based on Android 8.1 Oreo.
Google announced the next major Android version – Android P as a Developer Preview. While manufacturers are still making their progress towards Android 8.0 Oreo, OnePlus is moving a step a head by releasing an Open Beta build based on Android 8.1 Oreo. It was quite unexpected, but the company’s official forum was being quiet for sometime now, without any releases recently. Well that clearly indicated that something big and good was cooking up. Since this is a Beta update, users with stable OxygenOS will not be receiving any OTA notifications due to the difference in update channels. Instead, you will need to manually install OnePlus 5 OxygenOS Open Beta 6 update. We have covered the full ROM download links as well as proper instructions below.
Table of Contents
OnePlus 5 OxygenOS Open Beta 6 Update (Android 8.1 Oreo)
The update was announced today at the OnePlus community by staff member Manu J. The major highlight of this new OxygenOS Open Beta update is base version bump to Android 8.1 Oreo. Apart from that, there have been several issues that have been addressed and a small list of new additions that have been introduced.The company will be conducting the Beta testing for some time until all the major issues have been fixed and the firmware is stable enough to be pushed to to general public.
Before you actually proceed to the instructions and install OnePlus 5 OxygenOS Open Beta 6 update, take a look at the official changelog below.
- Updated system to Android 8.1 Oreo
- February 2018 security patch
- Auto pick-up gesture in Phone. Answer an incoming call by raising the phone.
- Added more clock styles for ambient display
- Added new optimizations in gaming mode for immersive gaming experience including power saving and pausing adaptive brightness
- Support for migrating application data in OnePlus Switch app.
- General bug fixes and improvements
Since this is a Beta software, it could contain unknown bugs and may not be stable as stable OxygenOS firmware. However, if you still feel the need to test it, follow the instructions below to install OnePlus 5 OxygenOS Open Beta 6 update.
- Take a complete backup of your personal data. While the method below will not erase your data, we still strongly recommend doing so. You may follow our guide on how to backup Android devices.
- Charge your OnePlus 5 to at least 50-60% battery level to avoid any hiccups during the update process.
- Install OnePlus USB drivers on your PC.
Once you have fulfilled the requirements, follow ahead with the steps to install OnePlus 5 OxygenOS Open Beta 6 update.
Download OxygenOS Open Beta 6 for OnePlus 5
Instructions to Install OnePlus 5 OxygenOS Open Beta 6 Update
We have come up with two different methods that can help you install OxygenOS Open Beta 6 on OnePlus 5. The first method guides you to flash the new Beta build using the Local Upgrade option in the Settings. The second method will allow you to install the update using TWRP recovery. The latter is helpful if you have rooted OxygenOS or a custom ROM installed.
Method 1: Using Local Upgrade
- Download the full ROM ZIP from above and then
- Follow our step-by-step guide on how to install OxygenOS Open Beta 6 on OnePlus 5 using Local Upgrade.
- After you have updated, it is strongly advised to boot into stock recovery and clear the cache.
- To do so, power down your device first.
- Hold the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously to enter stock OxygenOS recovery.
- Go to “Wipe data and cache” -> “Wipe cache”.
- Tap on “Ok” to clear the cache.
- Finally, reboot into the OS.
If you’re using a custom ROM or have TWRP installed, follow the steps below to install OnePlus 5 OxygenOS Open Beta 6 update using TWRP.
Method 2: Using TWRP Recovery
- Download the Open Beta 6 full ROM ZIP.
- Connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable.
- Enable “Transfer files” mode.
- Copy the downloaded Open Beta ZIP to the phone’s internal storage.
- Disconnect the device and power it off.
- Boot OnePlus 5 TWRP recovery mode.
- [Optional] If you’re using a ROM other than OxygenOS, go to “Wipe” -> “Advanced Wipe”. Select the following partitions and swipe the button on the screen.
- Next, go to “Install”.
- Navigate to the internal storage and select the full ROM ZIP.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to install OnePlus 5 OxygenOS Open Beta 6 update.
- Once the flashing process is complete, hit “Reboot System”.
When your phone boots, you shall be running the latest beta build based on Android 8.1 Oreo. So go ahead and try all the new features and see if the build is stable for daily usage or not. Of all the features, we are quite excited about the improvements in the Ambient display and new call pickup gesture. OnePlus 5 owners are already very excited for the update. It’s quite certain that the OEM will be pushing out the same for the 5T as well, soon.
So this was our guide on how to install OnePlus 5 OxygenOS Open Beta 6 update. If you have any questions, leave them down in the comments.