OnePlus is rolling out another Beta build for its flagship device after a month since the previous release. Download and install OnePlus 5T OxygenOS Open Beta 4 update based on Android 8.1 Oreo.
OnePlus is pretty constant when it comes to pushing updates to its devices. We recently saw Android 8.1 Oreo-based Open Beta 6 for the OnePlus 5. Not so much later, the OEM announced another Beta update for its latest flagship – OnePlus 5T. The company, for sure, believes in providing excellent support to users. It already seems like the developers were closely listening to the demands that the consumers made on the official community. OnePlus has already surpassed Android 8.0 Oreo and already released a stable build for all its supported devices including the OnePlus 3/3T and OnePlus 5/5T. The scene is now focusing on Android 8.1 Oreo, since Google already pushed it out in December. If you have not yet updated, follow the steps below to install OnePlus 5T OxygenOS Open Beta 4 update.
- Install OnePlus 5 OxygenOS Open Beta 6 Update (Android 8.1 Oreo)
- How to Enable Face Unlock on OnePlus 5, OnePlus 3 and 3T
- How to Downgrade OnePlus 5T Android Oreo to Nougat (OxygenOS)
- Download OnePlus 5T Sandstone White Stock Wallpaper [4K]
Table of Contents
Guide to Install OnePlus 5T OxygenOS Open Beta 4 Update (Android 8.1 Oreo)
While most other manufacturers are still stumbled upon releasing a stable update for their flagship devices, OnePlus seems to be moving ahead a step and already testing Android 8.1 Oreo for its top line devices. Other than that, only Essential seems to be testing the latest release on their PH-1.
Back to the 5T, the official announcement was made at the official community by Manu J. The changelog looks pretty similar to that on the OnePlus 5. So before you get to the instructions and install OnePlus 5T OxygenOS Open Beta 4 update, let us take a quick look at the changes and new features that build would bring to your device.
- Updated to Android 8.1 Oreo
- February 2018 security patch
- New auto pick up gesture in Phone app.
- Raise the phone to answer an incoming call.
- Added new optimizations in gaming mode for immersive gaming experience.
- OnePlus Switch support to migrate application data for swithcing devices seamlessly.
- Added more clock styles for ambient display
- Optimized full-screen gesture support
- General bug fixes and improvements.
Of course the major highlights include Android 8.1 Oreo version bump, Feb security patch level, new ambient display clock styles, and auto pickup gesture in the Phone app. The developers will be looking forward to user feedback and the provided bug reports before rolling out the stable version for the general public. Those running the previous Open Beta build can update directly. Simply go to “Settings” -> “System updates” and tap on “Check For Updates”.
However, in case you are on stable OxygenOS or a custom ROM, then follow the steps below to install OnePlus 5T OxygenOS Open Beta 4 update.
- Switching ROMs manually may lead to data loss if not performed correctly. In any case, we strong recommend backing up the entire device. You may follow our guide on how to backup Android phones.
- Charge your OnePlus 5T to at least 50-60% battery level to avoid any shutdowns during the update process.
- Install OnePlus USB drivers on your PC.
Once you have fulfilled the requirments, go ahead and install OnePlus 5T OxygenOS Open Beta 4 update based on Android 8.1 Oreo.
Download OxygenOS Open Beta 4 for OnePlus 5T
Instructions to Install OnePlus 5T OxygenOS Open Beta 4 Update
Now, there are two methods through which you can install this Beta update on your device. The first method is for those using stock OxygenOS using the Local Upgrade option. If you have a rooted device with TWRP recovery, you can follow the second method.
Method 1: Using Local Upgrade
The method is the easiest and doesn’t require any special tools to do the job. Simply download OxygenOS Open Beta 4 full ROM from above. Then follow our detailed tutorial on how to install OxygenOS full ROM using Local Upgrade. Once you have updated, it is advised to clear the cache using the stock recovery. If you’re not sure how, then follow the steps below.
- Power down your OnePlus 5T completely.
- Hold the Volume Down and Power button altogether until you see the OnePlus logo.
- Release the keys to enter the stock recovery.
- Go to “Wipe data and cache”.
- Tap on “Wipe cache” and press “Ok” to confirm.
The next method to install OnePlus 5T OxygenOS Open Beta 4 update (Android 8.1 Oreo) is by using TWRP recovery.
Method 2: Using TWRP Recovery
- Download OxygenOS Open Beta 4 full ROM ZIP.
- Connect your phone to the PC and enable “Transfer files” mode.
- Copy the downloaded ZIP file to the phone’s internal stroage.
- Disconnect the device and power it off.
- Hold the Volume Down and Power button simultaneously to enter TWRP recovery mode.
- [Optional] If using a ROM other than OxygenOS, go to “Wipe” -> “Advanced Wipe”. Select the following partitions and swipe the button to wipe.
- On the TWRP main screen, tap on the “Install” button.
- Navigate to the internal storage and select the OxygenOS full ROM ZIP.
- Finally, swipe the button on the screen to install OnePlus 5T OxygenOS Open Beta 4 update.
- When the flashing process is complete, press “Reboot System”.
When your phone boots, you shall be able to enjoy all the standard Android 8.1 Oreo features along with the updated security patch level. It’s quite reassuring to see that both the OnePlus 5 and 5T would be getting the stable update some time soon. There’s no statement on if the OEM would be rolling out Android 8.1 Oreo Open Beta for the OnePlus 3/3T. You may further go ahead and root OnePlus 5T on Oreo.
So, this was our guide on how to install OnePlus 5T OxygenOS Open Beta 4 update. If you have any questions regarding the procedure, leave a comment below.